Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$2700 to fix MCU. Might DIY, but how much to reprogram new unit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's worth noting that Tesla's attitude is completely contrary to the attitude of the *writers of the software they're pirating*.

It's going to be essential to break Tesla's service monopoly because they're getting... well... incompetent at service. Since they lose money on service, this would hurt them *not at all*.

Reactions: LoL Rick
It's worth noting that Tesla's attitude is completely contrary to the attitude of the *writers of the software they're pirating*.

It's going to be essential to break Tesla's service monopoly because they're getting... well... incompetent at service. Since they lose money on service, this would hurt them *not at all*.
I am sure they'd gladly offload their warranty obligations on owners if they could get away with it. ;)

Specically the MCU seems to be an "Achilles" issue, perhaps more because of the expense than the frequency of failure. I thought bubbles were heat issue (As in worse in places like AZ)? Dead NAV gyros don't kill and MCU. Are they $2,700, too? In any event, the above may be tongue in cheek, as getting cost to $6,000 would be pretty hard. This is the kind of item you refurb/reman. If faced with an MCU replacement, I'd be looking for that core back.

What intrigues me about this thread is the cut off between just fixing an MCU, and having to do it in a way that keeps your car from being "blacklisted"? Is that really what people avoiding an ESA can face??

Tesla's actions here are similar to a mob shakedown. Even though you own the store, they need constant payment in order to keep operating the very thing you own.

It won't be long before this abuse leads to laws against this sort of thing. If the National Automobile Dealers Association was competent, they would use this very fact to have direct sales and service blocked in each and every state.

They make plenty a killing off of service. They also have a ton of warranty obligations due to their "end of quarter rush" quality problems with the cars. In the end they probably close to cancel each other out, but to say that they lose money on service is another Musk lie.

Dec 2, 2017...my MCU was replaced under warranty as it could not connect to LTE.
Feb 8, 2017...The Navigation stopped working, was told to reset the screens, no dice. SC ran diags and received a call that the MCU is being replaced again, under warranty.

Mine is a 2013 with 62K miles, two MCUs in two months! ...that would be expensive out of warranty, which runs out in 2 years.

Dec 2, 2017...my MCU was replaced under warranty as it could not connect to LTE.
Feb 8, 2017...The Navigation stopped working, was told to reset the screens, no dice. SC ran diags and received a call that the MCU is being replaced again, under warranty.

Mine is a 2013 with 62K miles, two MCUs in two months! ...that would be expensive out of warranty, which runs out in 2 years.
I'm assuming in your latter case, you meant Feb 8, 2018.

Do you know if they're installing the new MCU? I was told they install newer components that less likely fail instead of installing an older component of that specific year.

When the ECU in my Subaru blew, I bought an identical used unit for about $100.

At first I did a blind try of the replacement ECU... and of course it threw codes and car would not crank. Security lockout feature. To avoid dealer re-programming of all security codes in the car and re-matching the keyfobs...

I just moved the little 8-pin EEPROM over from my original ECU to the "new" replacement ECU. I figured all the critical car-specific configuration data was on that chip. I was right... The replacement ECU worked a charm, and never looked back. Of course, the EEPROM was not socketed, so this was a hot-air removal using a rework station.. but an 8pin SOIC is childs play.

I'm aware of where the network SIM card goes in the radio module of the Tesla premium (w/nav) daughtercard. That's one critical piece of ID that has to move over to get hooked up on Tesla net.

Where are Tesla's car-specific configuration ID's held on the CPU board... can they be moved over similarly? Even if un/soldering is required?

Maybe this is hopeless though, like if Tesla CPU board has a crypto-protected chip with hardware instance serial number burned into it, and that number is used to generate keys that are spread through the car.. then... eesh. That creates a "matching set" hardware lockout preventing module replacement.

I do recall a few releases back Tesla added encrypted software signatures on Application modules that spread around the car with updates... so they can verify these are Tesla certified pieces of (untampered) code operating the car at runtime. But I wonder if that mentality was in place on the hardware modules when they were baking them back in 2010?
Sorry to disturb you,may I ask which and where is the tiny 8pin eeprom? It is marking(cuss)

777414C6-53C3-4065-A1A1-934FC132F12A.jpeg

Attachments

• 9070A3A5-0BA4-4C97-9B94-14390E58CB5D.jpeg
    9070A3A5-0BA4-4C97-9B94-14390E58CB5D.jpeg
    468.6 KB · Views: 80
Whoa! I'm saying I did this on a Subaru circa 2006 technologies, not my Tesla.

I did it on the Subie as a "last ditch" effort ... because of the low value of the car I didn't mind the risk of complete failure. I was prepared to throw the car away. It would not have been worth replacing the ECU with a new one and having dealer reprogramming, etc.. that would have exceeded the resale value of the car. But doing what I did cost me $100 for an used ECU plus my free labor turned out to be well worth the investment. Car is still running well years later. Helped extend it's end-of-life further. These are the "free years" of ownership.

I wouldn't be as emboldened to think I could find the uniquely-identifying hardware components on a Tesla circuit board.

And I don't touch BGA, I don't have the proper equipment.

Whoa! I'm saying I did this on a Subaru circa 2006 technologies, not my Tesla.

I did it on the Subie as a "last ditch" effort ... because of the low value of the car I didn't mind the risk of complete failure. I was prepared to throw the car away. It would not have been worth replacing the ECU with a new one and having dealer reprogramming, etc.. that would have exceeded the resale value of the car. But doing what I did cost me $100 for an used ECU plus my free labor turned out to be well worth the investment. Car is still running well years later. Helped extend it's end-of-life further. These are the "free years" of ownership.

I wouldn't be as emboldened to think I could find the uniquely-identifying hardware components on a Tesla circuit board.

And I don't touch BGA, I don't have the proper equipment.
Thank you very much.

I have try to installed other pc board into the failed Ecu.
It can boot but A/C not work and cannot move the car. Finally I think next time I will try to touch BGA harddisk

A write protect option on the screen would be very good to stop the memory chip being worn too fast, or at least a write cycle display count to know what's happening to it year by year? (it might be that how you use the car might alter the rate of wear on the memory?)

Hopefully Tesla have reduced the data being written already, but it's worrying not knowing if some new usage like Sentry mode might again cause rapid failure? (in less than 20 years)

(Recently buying M.2 NVMe SSDs, I saw Corsair have 400 TBW endurance rated when others of the same size were 150)

What is a "premium " MCU?

I think that is for cars with the premium sound system. (Extra audio amps.)

Mine is leaking fluid, but 1/4 inch down on top.
Ranger said I have awhile till it really starts leaking.
I will eventually have to do something.

You should be able to get a used screen and replace it yourself. That doesn't necessitate the replacement of the MCU.