Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2ND Brand new M3LR Highland with vibration ! Anyone else with the same car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a brand new M3LR Highland in march of this year and Tesla could not fix the vibrations I was getting through the steering wheel between 65-70mph so I rejected the car and placed an order for another same spec, which I collected yesterday only to find the same vibrations when travelling above 68mph. Are there any members out there who have a new long range with the 19" alloys who can tell me if there car steering wheel vibrates above a certain speed. If you grip the steering at 10 past 10 the vibrations are not that noticeable but if you gently place your hands on the steering especially around the bottom part it is very obvious.

Fyi I am also aware of all the issues other members in Europe have been having with vibrations as I have been doing a lot of research but if there are any members with an identical spec to mine I would be grateful if you can give me any feedback good or bad.

at 10 past 10 the vibrations are not that noticeable but if you gently place your hands on the steering especially around the bottom part it is very obvious.
You still can do a 10 minute test drive on any SC and check whether those cars have these vibrations. Different people on this forum may have different views around these as some of these are subjective. As this has happened to you in a second new car I am wondering whether you are expecting something different.

You still can do a 10 minute test drive on any SC and check whether those cars have these vibrations. Different people on this forum may have different views around these as some of these are subjective. As this has happened to you in a second new car I am wondering whether you are expecting something different.
I had the exact same spec on my brand new 2022 car and I always use autopilot and I hold the steering wheel from the bottom and been doing that for 2 years I drove the exact same way in my 2024 car and noticed the vibrations straight away. the car is absolutely perfect but the moment you start getting up to 67mph the vibrations start and that is not normal. The feeling is almost identical to when wheels are not balanced and after a certain speed the steering starts to vibrate.

I pick my LR with 19's up on Saturday, so I'll be checking and I'll feed back.
Thats great mate. Please do me a favour and place your hands gently on the steering and feel for the vibrations and then grip the steering hard and see if you notice a difference in feeling the vibrations. My car at certain points you can actually see the steering shaking. Also the car is perfect until I start getting to 67mph.

I actually test drove a highland with the same spec 2 weeks ago and even that car had vibrations but I would say that that car was not as bad as mine.

I know this should not be necessary but rejecting a car is a lot of hassle so hear me out.
I assume the wheels are interchangeable between the "old" models and the highland?
if so can you find someone who will let you swap the wheels over between the two cars then test both with the alternate wheels. Chances are you only have to do the front wheels though all 4 would be better. if the issue goes away that proves it is the tyres / wheels and then you can either get Tesla to fix or just wait it out a bit and see if they improve over time?

I know this should not be necessary but rejecting a car is a lot of hassle so hear me out.
I assume the wheels are interchangeable between the "old" models and the highland?
if so can you find someone who will let you swap the wheels over between the two cars then test both with the alternate wheels. Chances are you only have to do the front wheels though all 4 would be better. if the issue goes away that proves it is the tyres / wheels and then you can either get Tesla to fix or just wait it out a bit and see if they improve over time?
I am booked into the service centre tomorrow and thats exactly what I told them today to do as it's the simplest way of working out if its the wheels/tyres or the actual suspension.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
I initially had quite a vibraty steering wheel when I first picked up by RWD last month.

However, after adjusting the steering position and few hundred miles of driving, I’ve not experienced an issue and so decided against logging a service request.

This is my first Tesla so I have nothing to compare it to. There is still some vibration on the motorway but it’s barely detectable (and certainly not visible) - I just assumed this is normal?

Had a M3 LR Highland with 19inch wheels since April. Have no vibrations at any speed through the steering wheel that I have noticed. Done a few thousand miles since purchase. Sounds like you have a wheel balance issue or loose/faulty control arm (Had that on our older M3). Hope this helps.

Wheels are interchangeable. As you say, this problem is best diagnosed by swapping wheels with another car known to be good.

Last week, drove a few hundred miles on Autobahn, M3LR

Depending on the section of road surface and speed there's maybe vibration in some sections of the road.

There were a few sections that made it "uncomfortable" (not a euphemism, it just wasn't comfortable) to hold the steering wheel. Slowing down from 140k to 125-130 helped.

Other sections 160k, tiny bit of road rumble, but ok.

Here in Ireland, there's a few sections of road that once the surface changes, you feel so relaxed because of the noise that's now all gone.