Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you approach and obstacle that puts the front of your car at risk, you really don't care which side you view it on left or right - reversed or not. The point of the camera is simply see the obstacle and stop before you hit it.

One quick note that still needs to be validated by @appleguru :

The Menu button that sends the CAN signal to the switch to swap the cameras only works when the car is ON. Ie you are in the driver's seat, the car is unplugged and you have at least touched the brake or done something to wake the car up. I was finishing my install the other day and from the passenger compartment reached over to double check the menu operation before buttoning everything up and nothing happened. I then went crazing thinking I had broke something and then started a debug process. Ended up deciding it was the above conditions that prohibited it from executing.

FYI, there's another reboot. Tesla calls it a deep reboot. They have said it resets more subsystems than the regular reboot. This one you can't do while you are driving - you use the brake. Stop, and hold your foot on the brake and press the two scroll buttons. In about 10-15 seconds you will see the center console black and the T come up. At that time, its okay to release the brake.
There is no evidence whatsoever that the mythological "deep reboot" is a real thing. See "Hard" reboot... nonsense, right?

BearBu tells me he access a camera that will make the image correct on the touchscreen. Should be about $200. If there's adequate interest we can have it made.

Also we may be making some more camera switches, but we'll need at least 10 orders to make it worthwhile. also gauging interest for that.
I'm in for one for sure as long as it could plug into the cable set I got from you and wouldn't require rewiring the whole front camera to the glove box again.

You guys can get on the list and if there's enough interest artsci will have another batch made up. Send a PM (Start a Conversation) to him to get details for where to send the deposit to secure your name on a list and provide an assurance you are sincere.

My biggest use case does not work. :(

My major reason for getting the front camera kit was to avoid curb rash by pulling up to close to curbs. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to comprehend how to "see" this danger with my front camera. Sure I can see objects directly ahead like parking bumpers, but not judge the curb sides.

Does anyone have a suggestion that can help me visualize this better?

My biggest use case does not work. :(

My major reason for getting the front camera kit was to avoid curb rash by pulling up to close to curbs. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to comprehend how to "see" this danger with my front camera. Sure I can see objects directly ahead like parking bumpers, but not judge the curb sides.

Does anyone have a suggestion that can help me visualize this better?

As I am swing into a parking space for example or going forward up against a curb. Backing is OK.
The only way that would be possible, would be to mount the camera on the side of your vehicle, behind the front wheel. You could possibly mount it to the underside of your side mirror.

The only way that would be possible, would be to mount the camera on the side of your vehicle, behind the front wheel. You could possibly mount it to the underside of your side mirror.
I need the electronic version of these:

s-l640.jpg

Reactions: JohnnyG