Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3-day cold soak and MS in DEEP sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After leaving my car in an unheated garage, plugged in, SoC@50%, with outside temps in the single digits or lower for three days, I noticed that I couldn't reach it with the app.
I go to investigate and the handles do not extend. I touch the driver door handle and it extends.
Getting in the car (an AP2 2017) it is not responsive at all. No center console, no IC, nothing.
I close the driver door. Still nothing. Press the brake. The IC wakes up with the circle of the energy display on the left, however it is populated with no data. No message about 'systems are starting up' or anything. Center Console still dead.
Since it's 4am and I am not thinking clearly, I try a two-wheel reboot. I've only read about those so I'm guessing at how to do it. Press-hold-wait. Nothing. After a minute or two more of the IC begins to display. I put the car in drive and get the 'check charge port' message. I go pull it.
When I come back and put my foot on the brake and go to put it in drive again - I finally get the "Systems are Starting Up".
After waiting another minute the Center Console begins to boot.

What the hell was that?!

I haven't driven it yet, but everything powered up. I plugged it back in, increased the charge level and went back to bed.
Three hours later it's still charging nicely and has gone from 122mi to 155mi on a level 3 (340V/16A) charger.

Should I be concerned?

Oh one last thing. The car is *not* in range mode.

Plus, I've had the car since September 2017 and never had any occurrence like that. But, this is the first winter with it.
Also, I upgraded to 50.3 just before letting it soak for three days.
Sure enough, I drove it about 50 miles this morning and all was fine.
I guess we'll see...

After leaving my car in an unheated garage, plugged in, SoC@50%, with outside temps in the single digits or lower for three days, I noticed that I couldn't reach it with the app.
I go to investigate and the handles do not extend. I touch the driver door handle and it extends.
Getting in the car (an AP2 2017) it is not responsive at all. No center console, no IC, nothing.
I close the driver door. Still nothing. Press the brake. The IC wakes up with the circle of the energy display on the left, however it is populated with no data. No message about 'systems are starting up' or anything. Center Console still dead.
Since it's 4am and I am not thinking clearly, I try a two-wheel reboot. I've only read about those so I'm guessing at how to do it. Press-hold-wait. Nothing. After a minute or two more of the IC begins to display. I put the car in drive and get the 'check charge port' message. I go pull it.
When I come back and put my foot on the brake and go to put it in drive again - I finally get the "Systems are Starting Up".
After waiting another minute the Center Console begins to boot.

What the hell was that?!

I haven't driven it yet, but everything powered up. I plugged it back in, increased the charge level and went back to bed.
Three hours later it's still charging nicely and has gone from 122mi to 155mi on a level 3 (340V/16A) charger.

Should I be concerned?

Oh one last thing. The car is *not* in range mode.

I had the exact same experience with my s90d. Parked for 5 days not on charge but with 70% battery. Had gone to a deep sleep within 48 hours ( I assume as the app wouldn’t connect ). Cold temp (-3 To + 3 deg c). The slow wake up was a big worry at first - my first winter too. Even gave an error to say that auto collision avoidance system was disabled. However when all warmed up after about ten minutes was fine. I can only imagine it goes into a very low energy drain state. Range mode was on.