Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3-month FSD 'free' on new HW4 cars is useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD beta is available on all hardware versions capable of FSD except the new HW4. My Model 3 had HW2.5 and could navigate city streets, stop at stop signs, and stop at red lights. Now that I did the FSD transfer to a HW4 vehicle, it is no longer available on my car. I know HW4 will get it at some point, but I rarely used that part unless I was on an open road with few cars. I just don't trust it.

Reactions: bckelowna
No. FSD is stop light and stop sign recognition + EAP features.
Navigate on City streets is a Beta feature that you may get access to at some point. The Tesla order page clearly states "Coming Soon" for Navigate on City Streets. No where do they promise to provide this feature at this time (even though we all know everyone will get it eventually once they re-release a HW4 version).
FSD is not FSD Beta.
How come mine model 3 2023 navigate on streets? Because it's hw3?

I am coming for a 2015 S with AP1.
What this has currently is less helpful than my 2015. Sure the visualizations are extensive. But whatever we have (delivery 2 weeks ago) is pretty bad and I would rather have AP1.
Given that 8 years have past, I am thinking real FSD is like 2035 based on progress that has been made to date. Yes, somethings are better even beyond visualizations but many things are worse.
What I find really great is that it wants me to change lanes to get away from cones. The other lane has a concrete wall which it doesn't show and maybe it doesn't see. At least my 2015 would "see" the wall with ultrasonics.
I didn't buy the car for AP. But I thought the trial might at least be interesting but it is a big disappointment. They certainly should have given the option to not start the clock if features are missing but "coming soon"... which is such a comical term with Tesla.

Reactions: tierneyalvin
I am coming for a 2015 S with AP1.
What this has currently is less helpful than my 2015. Sure the visualizations are extensive. But whatever we have (delivery 2 weeks ago) is pretty bad and I would rather have AP1.
Given that 8 years have past, I am thinking real FSD is like 2035 based on progress that has been made to date. Yes, somethings are better even beyond visualizations but many things are worse.
What I find really great is that it wants me to change lanes to get away from cones. The other lane has a concrete wall which it doesn't show and maybe it doesn't see. At least my 2015 would "see" the wall with ultrasonics.
I didn't buy the car for AP. But I thought the trial might at least be interesting but it is a big disappointment. They certainly should have given the option to not start the clock if features are missing but "coming soon"... which is such a comical term with Tesla.
I find AP on highways to be useful and relaxing. It has definitely improved from when I first got the software in 2019. I have had a loaner with AP1 and it did handle highway well. I think AP2 is finally at about that level.

I find FSD on city streets to be more of “experimental/curiosity” and nerve wracking. So many more variables in cities.

And smart summon is extremely nerve racking. Only used it twice. Worked fine but too scary.

I don’t consider anything until the product actually has it. I try never to buy a product based on future “promises”. That’s why I wouldn’t pay 15k for FSD today. But paying 5K for all of TACC, AP, EAP and FSD I thought was worth it for the functionality at that time.

Yeah that ain’t right. They should not count start date until received. Will be curious to see if you actually lose it after 3 months from car pickup date or FSD receipt date.
FSD and FSD Beta is two different thing. You get the FSD functionality right away, but the beta testing is not unless you opt in and agree to the terms of conditions of the beta testing.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Yeah that ain’t right. They should not count start date until received. Will be curious to see if you actually lose it after 3 months from car pickup date or FSD receipt date.

FSD and FSD Beta is two different thing. You get the FSD functionality right away, but the beta testing is not unless you opt in and agree to the terms of conditions of the beta testing.

correct. I have limited FSD features, such as navigate on AP and auto lane change. But features such as auto park, summon doesn't work with Tesla Vision yet.

Reactions: tierneyalvin
Oh. that’s not so bad then. You aren’t missing much with auto park and summon.
I went on a trip and subscribed to FSD. I liked the EAP portions on the highway, mostly because Teslas default implementation of AP is annoying... all the beeps involved in changing lanes is unnecessary and unlike any other lane keeping car I've owned for the past decade (standard behavior is to disable lane keeping automatically when you put on you blinker and automatically re-engage it when you finish the manual lane change and the blinker turns off without any noises at all).

Agree with not missing much with summon. I tried smart summon a couple times, it seemed neat and i never was scared it would hit anything, but I never found a situation where it was more convenient than simply walking to the car. I'm sure there are edge cases where it would be nice, but they are few and far between for me.

FSD off the highway always had me on edge. I felt like I was sitting next to a 15yr old with a learners permit. That said, I'm sure the longer you use it, the better you can anticipate issues and the more comfortable you get with it.

In the end, I'd probably opt for EAP, but not for $6k. Theyd need to get it back down to $3k for me to bite.

It's like ordering a steak at restaurant and they bring 1/2 to your table and wonder why you are unhappy. They say it's a steak and it will be delicious but you respond, but I paid for the whole steak. Can I get the rest of my steak please? They respond, definitely...some day...just not today

I like analogies. I present this slight adjustment to yours:

It's like ordering a steak at a restaurant and they bring a rubber ducky to your table. They don't wonder why you're unhappy. They say it's going to be the best steak ever in two weeks, but they charge you today for all-you-can-eat Japanese Kobe Beef Wagyu and Filet Mignon with Kalahari Truffles.