Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way the tires are being manufactured or what they're made of, plus the rims providing zero protection for this inner rim of tire.
You've got this function all wrong, The tire is supposed to protect the wheel, not the other way around. Wheels are more expensive, so the protruding bead of the tire is supposed to offer some protection from curb rash. Therefore, it is exposed and usually makes contact first. Maybe something jagged in the curb where you keep curbing them.

You've got this function all wrong, The tire is supposed to protect the wheel, not the other way around. Wheels are more expensive, so the protruding bead of the tire is supposed to offer some protection from curb rash. Therefore, it is exposed and usually makes contact first. Maybe something jagged in the curb where you keep curbing them.
I agree, but not on 21’ tires on the MYP 😬 The rim will make contact first and then the tires.
That’s why most are switching to 20’s or 19’ inch tires..
Or if you want to keep the 21’ you must move up to a bigger tire.

Reactions: Pianewman
This thread needs to be re-titled to read: "3 month of sloppy driving and curbing the ever living Sh*t out of my rims and now my tires are damaged; yet Tesla refuses to pay!"

(moderator note)

I changed this thread title from the previous title. The OP in this thread even states they curbed the wheels, so I dont understand their insistence on "someone should be held accountable".

Tires are 3 months old. Three out of the four tires have peeling off where the tires meet the curb while parking.

They also typed something that appears like it was supposed to be some sort of letter to "someone" (whom I dont know, perhaps Tesla?), but this site is not affiliated with Tesla. The "someone who should be held accountable" for curbed wheels on the OPs car is the OP, and I am not sure how anyone could see it differently, except the OP who thinks that curbed wheels shouldnt be damaged, per their other posted information.

I agree, but not on 21’ tires on the MYP 😬 The rim will make contact first and then the tires.
That’s why most are switching to 20’s or 19’ inch tires..
Or if you want to keep the 21’ you must move up to a bigger tire.
I see. Welll that sucks. I've got the 19s with hubcaps which also stick out. (Naturally). I do try hard to stay away from the curbs tho.

I popped a tire on a rock sticking out of a dirt road. Basically the same damage as the op, but deeper. A solid edge in the road pinches the tire against the rim like anvil style pruning shears. Lower profile tires with no bulge past the rim are more susceptible.

I would take it to a reputable tire shop and let them assess it (NOT Discount Tire or other low ball shops). Then do what they say.

You can choose a wider tire that protects the rim, but you sacrifice a few % of range , noticiable mostly on long road trips, and will almost never keep you from getting to the same supercharger you would have with the skinny tires. Choice is yours.

I'll choose the OEM tire size and drive more carefully, as I find the SOC predictions at the next stop are more accurate. (ok, extrapolating from driving with and without the aero wheel covers. works better with them. Always underestimates without them).

Tires are 3 months old. Three out of the four tires have peeling off where the tires meet the curb while parking. I have never seen anything like it on tires before. The inner rim of the tires is shredding and I have concerns about the tires blowing while driving. Should I be concerned about my safety plus any passengers? What should I do?View attachment 938520 and the vehicle is only three months old. Is this a safety issue?
Yes it is a safety issue. Your life, any passengers in your vehicle, and others on the road if you suffer a blowout riding on damaged tires.
Replace all four tires and learn how to parallel park without scraping tires along the curb.
I've already had nails in both my rear tires, the first one at 9700 miles and the second one at 11k miles. Two tires replaced last month. Tesla will not put a plug in a tire. Neither will Mercedes.
Just replace all four of your tires. I'm sure you've seen the video on the news of a vehicle suffering a tire blowout? The tire leaving the rim, shooting sparks off the roadway, the vehicle catching fire and exploding shortly after the driver got out?

A solid edge in the road pinches the tire against the rim like anvil style pruning shears. Lower profile tires with no bulge past the rim are more susceptible.
I think you're onto something there. Came across this pic in another thread. I think the way the wheel is sticking out, the rubber is getting pinched against the rim when it hits and causing the splits or missing chunks, like OP. Moral of the story is, with these cars you better be even more vigilant about staying away from the curbs. Oh and this was a 19" Gemini.

80589f68-936a-4064-94ed-576511a11cee-jpeg.915443

Tires are 3 months old. Three out of the four tires have peeling off where the tires meet the curb while parking. I have never seen anything like it on tires before. The inner rim of the tires is shredding and I have concerns about the tires blowing while driving. Should I be concerned about my safety plus any passengers? What should I do?View attachment 938520 and the vehicle is only three months old. Is this a safety issue?

What brand of tire is that? There should be a Tire Identification Number (and mfg date) on your tires that will tell how old they are.

If you can not address these concerns of why these and no other tires do this and safety concerns, then if an accident does occur you will then be held liable and we will have escalate this matter up the food chain and address it in a court of law. I only have one out of four tires which doesn't have these same tears. Again, the vehicle is only three months old, brand new tires don't do this! Someone will be held accountable!

Sincerely, Trev

Who exactly do you think you are talking to? This is a forum for current and future Tesla owners. Holding us liable for your lack of parking skills is a bit of a stretch.

Have you noticed the nice view from the rear and side cameras?

Sincerely, CaseyL

This thread is a bit uninviting. I confess a similar experience as a new Model S driver. I suffered similar tire damage and much worse wheel rash on a very tight curve on a crowded road---that now has a cone at that spot. I replaced the tire on the advice of several tire mechanics rather than take the gamble of being wrong. And I have become incredibly careful at parallel parking for the risk to my arachnid wheels. It seems that a vehical with so many sensor systems would have one that tracks how close you are to the curb. I do use my mirrors carefully as they tilt down to expose the curb when backing up to parallel park. But I am half-tempted to go find some of those old spring curb "feelers" that my grandfather used on his 58 Tbird. Anyway, after 2 weeks of driving on a similar gouge, I chose to replace the tire and eliminate the gamble.