Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 weeks 3 service visits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This message appeared on my car today. I sure hope things get better. So far this is the most problematic car I have ever owned. I also still have not received a response from engineering regarding the braking event in the middle of the highway.

Is this normal?

IMG_6152.jpg

In most cases, it is normal.

The message is just a heads-up notice that your 12V battery will need to be replaced, but it usually gives plenty of leeway (not an urgent warning).

Your service center can check your logs remotely and let you know how quickly it must be booked.

There is an extensive discussion of this here: Near annual replacement of 12V battery is typical according to Tesla Service Tech

My march 2013 S has had this battery replacement done twice to date.

Edit: Just noticed the very low mileage on your screenshot, not sure why you are getting this so soon (maybe a defective 12V battery?).

I have owned my car for 3 weeks and was in the service center the day of delivery with a problem, one week later for that problem + another, and now this 12V battery problem after only owning the car for 3 weeks.

These are only the problems that have landed me in the service center. On my way home the navigation app told me to turn the wrong way onto a highway onramp...

I have decided to cancel my Model 3 reservation.

I have owned my car for 3 weeks and was in the service center the day of delivery with a problem, one week later for that problem + another, and now this 12V battery problem after only owning the car for 3 weeks.

These are only the problems that have landed me in the service center. On my way home the navigation app told me to turn the wrong way onto a highway onramp...

That's not normal but the Nav sending you the wrong way is common.

I read these posts and feel sorry for the minority of owners who have issues. People with issues are more likely to post problems.

I want to post that in 25,000 hard miles - my P85D has been flawless. It has actually visited the dealer less than my BMW or Mercedes. My model is my favorite car I have owned.

Nothing made by humans is 100% perfect and I do feel bad for those who have problems but, like you, my S (closing on 30,000) has been virtually flawless. Only "complaint" is that right after I bought the car the frank had trouble closing. Quick trip to the service center and no problems since. Model 3 on order. Can't wait.

This message appeared on my car today. I sure hope things get better. So far this is the most problematic car I have ever owned. I also still have not received a response from engineering regarding the braking event in the middle of the highway.

Is this normal?

IMG_6152.jpg
call it in to tesla immediately it is usually an impending contact failure which will render the car unusable. when you call they will examine your logs and schedule you for immediate service. don't wait because if you do you run the risk of breaking down and being stuck somewhere.

No, it's not normal to have this many issues with a brand new car. That must be rough, sorry to hear.

QC problems have gone away mostly especially compared to 2012 and 2013 vehicles but they do still exist. Contact the service manager to get a resolution to your liking. Maybe they can do a full vehicle inspection to make sure they catch any other problems. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to assist you so that you don't have to make more visits.

I thought 12v battery issues were mostly sorted out already by changing the battery supplier. Maybe just a bad batch. My late 2014 needed quite a bit of TLC at the service center, but they were mostly fit and finish issues and nothing that left me stranded or any kind of major failures.

Sorry to hear about all the problems with your MS.

Unfortunately, I think Consumer Reports was right when they pulled their recommendation due to the low quality scores reported by owners and due to all the problems with their own test car.

I'm getting more and more scared about the M3 quality.

call it in to tesla immediately it is usually an impending contact failure which will render the car unusable. when you call they will examine your logs and schedule you for immediate service. don't wait because if you do you run the risk of breaking down and being stuck somewhere.

Not likely on a brand new car. He's on the 6th or 7th revision of the battery pack and I believe the failing contractors were limited to the A and maybe B packs. It certainly shouldn't be an issue on a new car.

OP, sorry to hear of your issues. I too would be frustrated but try to understand that what you're experiencing isn't the norm. I know that doesn't make it any less frustrating but generally these cars are pretty reliable, especially the new ones.

Why would you go to the SC for the one time abnormal slow down when driving with AP?

On the poor navigation, every car I owned was crappy compared to the maps I get in my iPhone. But I am not sure I can blame the car manufacturer for that.

It is not normal for most cars to be in the shop. All of my previous cars include my current focus electric, hasn't had as many issues as some of the S. My Focus Electric is currently in the shop now for tires but hasn't seen a shop in 3 years. Both of my Mercedes only went to the shop for regular maintenance.

My brand new S90 is going to the shop in a month from now because of high pitch noise and my seat is moving when you brake and regen.

I haven't own another vehicle where I have to wait over a month to have my car fix for warranty work. Right now I don't even drive the car because of the high pitch noise is causing headache. Went back to driving my work horse Armada which also has only seen a shop for regular maintenance when I didn't feel like doing the work myself.

Bottom line is Telsa QC is better then it was before but it still sucks when compare to other manufacturers.
P.S. Wife is driving the focus electric, though about putting in a order for the 3 but I will wait until they resolve the high pitch sound first.

• Informative
Reactions: KZKZ and Zybd1201