Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

35% Depreciation at One Year Old?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So out of curiosity I requested a trade in quote for my 2015 60kwh with Autopilot. They came back with a quote of $53,300. It was around $81k new in Feb 2015.

That seems like a huge drop to me. Obviously new cars slam down as soon as you register them but 35% seems like a steep curve. Now I've noticed private party appears to be holding a much better value than that, around 10k more. Maybe that's just the luxury brand crux. Figured I'd add that tid bit for readers knowledge.

Considering the tax rebate, and also the class of car you're dealing with, I actually think the depreciation is on the low end. If you could even get $5,000 more than that private party, that would be $71k -> $58k = 19% depreciation. A Mercedes S Class or BMW 7 Series is going to lose a lot more than 19% in the first year. Frankly, I'd be pretty stoked to only to pay ~$1000-$1100 per month on first year depreciation and be able to jump to the latest and greatest whenever I wanted.

Sorry OP, you bought your 60 at a bad time. At least you didn't get it before the auto-pilots were installed since that is the hot feature Tesla is selling nowadays.

There was a thread somewhere on here where people that bought the 60kwh just lost quite a bit when it was discontinued.