Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3DP Demo has a plugged tire, should they replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 3DP for about 2 mos now, and today I noticed the right rear TPMS was illuminated, 29 PSI, all other are 41. Limped home in the dark and found the plug (I think) in the tire. Do you guys think I have a right to request a replacement? Car had 1200 miles when I bought it, and of course no plugging was disclosed to me. If its not holding air, should they replace, and whats the process? Hard to talk to a live human at my local SC.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200226_191248.jpg
    20200226_191248.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 95
  • 20200226_191427.jpg
    20200226_191427.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
Are you sure it is leaking at the plug?[/QUOTE]
No, I'm just a bit surprised they would sell me a car with a plugged tire without telling me. I knew it was a demo when I bought it, but wasn't aware of a plug in the tire. Since its lost 12 lbs in a few hours, but didn't before today, its possible there is another leak as well, will try to get to a Discount tomorrow, but my jack pucks haven't arrived yet, so I'm a bit weary. . .

Why would they tell you? Tire plugging is something that is very common, very inexpensive, and doesn't typically have any problems. I would doubt they would even have to disclose that if the car was new. Most states allow a significant amount of damage to be repaired w/o disclosure. It's just reality.

Of course, if it's leaking at the plug, I would certainly hope they would fix it for you.

BTW - Discount tire sees Teslas all the time. I'd try to watch them to make sure they don't have an idiot on the jack;

You can spray a bit of soapy water on the plug and see if it is the leak.

Looks like a typical patch+plug (mushroom) plug to me. These rarely ever fail assuming it was installed correctly. Agree that if its leaking at the repair site, then they should re-do the repair or replace the tire if they can't repair it right (but ask nicely or they might lose the paperwork documenting that they ever fixed the tire :eek:) . If the leak is somewhere else, then you'll have 2 plugs in that tire soon.

Cars are (sadly) repaired frequently right after getting off the truck. Lots of damage can occur in transportation, so oftentimes BRAND NEW vehicles already have paint or body repairs done to them. I don't think dealerships are required to divulge repairs of this kind unless they exceed a certain dollar amount - no idea what that amount is). So if real damage occurs, they might have to tell you, but if a bumper needs a quick re-spray in the body shop due to a parking lot accident, probably not. A plugged tire on a demo vehicle is completely within the realm of "normal" as far as I'm concerned. Stuff happens.

Reactions: iamnid and elf9
So just to follow up, took it to Discount Today, there was a plug already in the tire, but there was a new, 3-4" nail in the tire. Removed, plugged, and I'm on my way again, although now with 2 plugs in the tire. They claim it should last for the life of the tire, here's to hopin'.

So just to follow up, took it to Discount Today, there was a plug already in the tire, but there was a new, 3-4" nail in the tire. Removed, plugged, and I'm on my way again, although now with 2 plugs in the tire. They claim it should last for the life of the tire, here's to hopin'.

Don't let having 2 plugs deflate your ego (pun intended). Your tires won't last very long anyhow...:p

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSqB

The tire is the only thing that actually contacts the road, yet people really scrimp on them. You are driving a car that can go 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, and is like 4000 or 4100 pounds, yet you want to drive around on a tire with TWO plugs in it and "hope" it lasts for the "life of the tire"?

Of course its going to last for the life of the tire... if it blows out tomorrow, thats the life of the tire.....

I have the same thought when people try to "squeeze another 1-2k miles" out of bald tires, and then wonder why they are hydroplaning or something....

The tire is the only thing that actually contacts the road, yet people really scrimp on them. You are driving a car that can go 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, and is like 4000 or 4100 pounds, yet you want to drive around on a tire with TWO plugs in it and "hope" it lasts for the "life of the tire"?

Of course its going to last for the life of the tire... if it blows out tomorrow, thats the life of the tire.....

I'm not one to generally recommend penny wise pound foolish decisions, but there's really essentially zero safety risk to a plugged puncture in the middle of the tire. I've done tens of thousands of miles on tires I plugged myself, including my Tesla (hell there's a plugged tire on it right now). The primary risk in this situation is the puncture site starts to leak again (though I can't say I've ever had that happen).

As for OP's second repair, I don't think it's actually a "plug". No tire shop (particularly a national one) does that these days - they do a full dismount and internal patch. Safety risk from an internal patch is even less than the "essentially zero" from the plug.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin