Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3M Crystalline vs PINNACLE vs Suntek CIR vs LLumar CTX vs Wincos Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi So I got a quote from Concord Car Stereo & Tint. They are 3M Crystalline Certified. Also according to Concard Car Stereo & Tint in Concord CA stated The top glass and the Windshield is already using 3M Crystalline so it does not need any.

Is it true the windshield on model 3 already has 3M Crystalline tinted from Tesla already

Horsecrap. No, this is totally false.

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Horsecrap. No, this is totally false.

Thanks That is what I thought, Also he stated 3M does not recommend getting a front windshield tinted because moisture / water can get to car electronics and ruin it ? Now is it more of a installer issue I am sure there are people who got there model 3 windshield tinted and have no problems. I mean I know in this forum or in the past that has happened but is it really that dangerous / common that it will ruin the electronic components ?

Thanks That is what I thought, Also he stated 3M does not recommend getting a front windshield tinted because moisture / water can get to car electronics and ruin it ? Now is it more of a installer issue I am sure there are people who got there model 3 windshield tinted and have no problems. I mean I know in this forum or in the past that has happened but is it really that dangerous / common that it will ruin the electronic components ?

It's definitely happened before, IDK how common it is. I've been thinking about doing it but man… I dunno.

• Informative

This is true, 3M put out a bulletin about this. At least at some point, I don't know the state of that right now.

It can be guarded against successfully with good technique but someone with poor skills has a very real risk of getting excessive water in there and doing damage during an install. There is even some non-zero chance a very competent person messes up and spills past towels or whatever they're using to protect, but there are still quality installers that are willing to take on that cost-risk liability.

• Informative

I have the windsheld tinted. I think it really depends on the skill and the preparation of the shop. I have Stratos 70% for windsheld, and 35% for all around. I exam clearly on the front camera and sensor. Looks fine and no moist inside.

I have the windsheld tinted. I think it really depends on the skill and the preparation of the shop. I have Stratos 70% for windsheld, and 35% for all around. I exam clearly on the front camera and sensor. Looks fine and no moist inside.

I think I will get the other windows done from Concord CA Car & Stereo with 3M. Since windshield since complex I am going to take it to OCD Detailing in Fremont they said it be $500 just for the front windshield but at this point sounds like they are the only one around here who can do this without causing any harm.

I don't expect the tint to make a car getting baked in hot sun after sitting in the parking lot .. but hopefully it helps to not feel that hand skin burn while driving west in the afternoons .. even with A/C set to 72F, I can feel the hands getting that pinch feel ...

I don't expect the tint to make a car getting baked in hot sun after sitting in the parking lot .. but hopefully it helps to not feel that hand skin burn while driving west in the afternoons .. even with A/C set to 72F, I can feel the hands getting that pinch feel ...

I know what you mean. My old car, despite it's tinted (carbon tint 70% all around, no windshield tint). I feel the same even when the sun on the driver side. I had to use sunshade. WIth the new car new tint, no such issue, the feeling is so tiny. No need shade.

I went with Full Suntek Ceramic Tint CIR 20 all around including the moonroof and CIR 80 for the windshield.
2019-08-19-jpeg.443902

Attachments

• 2019-08-19.jpeg
    2019-08-19.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 1,540