Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3P track mode difficulty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'
I suggested that we start a GoFundMe to pay for the engineering time(if that's even a thing) so that they can release the Track mode variant to the RWD guys like me, as the mindset is that the P3D+ guys shouldnt be having all the fun

The problem isn't so much the cost of the engineering time, its the fact they don't have the bodies/brains to prioritize that over other projects. Hiring people specifically for that one thing doesn't really make sense either since you'd rather have your A-team that designed track mode continue working on it when priorities allow.

Also, i don't think its very likely we ever see a track mode on the RWD. For one thing it doesn't have a front motor so you can't really dynamically adjust vehicle balance and also its simply not a performance car - you don't see a 3-series BMW having the same performance/track features as a M3, after all.

Part of the high price (+$11K from AWD) for Performance is paying for the ability to use track mode.

Reactions: MP3Mike
And I think "not releasing something that'll work incorrectly and damage cars" is a great example of HAVE to wait till they fix that.

You apparently don't?

You're kind of making it black and white (or bold/not bold :) ). All cars will be damaged by track mode.

I've seen some autocross over the last few years, and the effect it has on a car, and regardless of how robust the hardware is, tracking a car damages a car. Doesn't matter what brakes or tires, or whether it is ICE or EV, or whether it is built for the track. You could never hit a cone, but after autocrossing (and by extension tracking it, since obviously that's a more severe use case) enough, your car will be seriously damaged (and I'm not talking about tires which are just wear items). It's just a fact. The P3D+ will be seriously damaged (premature wear) (bushings, brakes, brake fluid (not so much in autocross - not enough braking to be a problem typically), drive units, battery, suspension, alignment) by autocrossing, as will the P3D w/o PUP. You have to pay to play.

So releasing track mode damages cars, P3D+ or not. It's just a question of degree. We'll see what they end up covering (obviously they don't cover anything that occurs when using track mode).

If you don't want to pay, you don't play.

Reactions: kbecks13
I've seen some autocross over the last few years, and the effect it has on a car, and regardless of how robust the hardware is, tracking a car damages a car. Doesn't matter what brakes or tires, or whether it is ICE or EV, or whether it is built for the track.

Yep, have you seen what one day of track mode usage did to the front left tire on a P3D+? (The other tires fared much better.)

Track Mode Front Left Tire Wear.png

Note: not stock wheels/tires...

Screen capture from YouTube.

Yep, have you seen what one day of track mode usage did to the front left tire on a P3D+? (The other tires fared much better.)

Yea but they were basically ONLY taking right hand turns and were understeering like nobody's business on entry (trying to slide, i'm sure) so that's not really very representative of "general track mode usage". Also spinning out a 4000 pound car is definitely going to result in a few flat spots :D

Their goal was to slide and make smoke for a good YouTube video, not put down a fast lap. You only tear up tires like that from overdriving the car.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
Because if the HW made no difference then limiting it to + cars only wouldn't have made any sense to begin with.
Limiting could make sense from a marketing perspective and not a hardware reason. A good example of this is gaming. Some games are exclusively released on consoles and not on PCs not because consoles are better. In fact PCs have better gaming hardware but the exclusivity is a marketing ploy to drive console sales. Months or years later when they exhausted that market those games come out on PC usually enhanced and better than console versions.

Limiting could make sense from a marketing perspective and not a hardware reason.

Well, no, it could not.

Because they don't offer new P3D- cars anymore in the configurator (and haven't since before track mode was released)

So it's not like they're "driving" sales to the higher priced P by making it exclusive to it at this point.

A good example of this is gaming. Some games are exclusively released on consoles and not on PCs not because consoles are better. In fact PCs have better gaming hardware but the exclusivity is a marketing ploy to drive console sales. Months or years later when they exhausted that market those games come out on PC usually enhanced and better than console versions.

That would be a great example if they still sold the product. But they don't. So it's not.

At this point, especially with Elon having promised it, there's no reasonable explanation that fits the facts for it NOT being out for the P3D- other than the hardware matters and they need programmers to make a "-" version of TM in order to keep that promise- and that takes time/testing.

Well, no, it could not.

Because they don't offer new P3D- cars anymore in the configurator (and haven't since before track mode was released)

So it's not like they're "driving" sales to the higher priced P by making it exclusive to it at this point.

That would be a great example if they still sold the product. But they don't. So it's not.

At this point, especially with Elon having promised it, there's no reasonable explanation that fits the facts for it NOT being out for the P3D- other than the hardware matters and they need programmers to make a "-" version of TM in order to keep that promise- and that takes time/testing.

Track mode = custom stability control software on standard Bosch VDC (ABS controller) and some interesting thermal management techniques for the powertrain.

Prove us wrong. Show us the hardware... part numbers and all.

Reactions: kbecks13
Track mode = custom stability control software on standard Bosch VDC (ABS controller) and some interesting thermal management techniques for the powertrain.

Prove us wrong. Show us the hardware... part numbers and all.

You seem pretty confused about the discussion.

We're discussing the hardware differences like larger brakes (and thus the custom software is making specific assumptions about their capabilities since they're using brakes to make the open diffs act like LSDs)

They're pretty well documented as existing. And being different on the P3D+ compared to all other versions of the Model 3.

Bump, another P3D- owner here... been waiting for some good news, any one hear anything yet?
Still no option to upgrade to PUP.

I'm dying to go ice racing this season, where my stock brakes will be plenty enough for racing on a frozen lake on studded Hakkas... just need the Track Mode option damn it!! :):):)

Reactions: Nocturnal
As a RWD owner who likes to do track days and autocrosses... I'd love to simply see the option to disable the nannies. That way, no extra engineering is required on Tesla's part.
I agree, I'd love a factory-delivered RWD Track Mode version as well. I'm beta testing the Mountain Pass Performance VSC/TC modification -and it is great! - but there is no reason that Tesla could not make a basic option available on all cars, like other performance car companies do.