Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$4000 Door Ding.... Video attached, you have to watch until the end

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, this lady whacks my door, and proceeds to tell me that the wind blew the door.

She said, it was so strong. Then by the end of the 3rd video clip, she's saying "I'm not a nice person", there's no damage, and I'm not a generous person"

You be the judge. BTW, I wasn't parking, I just pulled out of the way so I could make sure I had my mask, and didn't want to block others. Normally I don't park in any parking lot next to people for just this reason

1 week after Expel etc was done.

2019 S Dual Motor

Yes... she's paying. They have to do an $800 shut down procedure for the battery, a molding piece (1 time use) is apparently $800, and they have to paint the panel and door, plus remove both to get access...... then there's the repainting, and the reapplication of the Expel / Ceramic. Glad I was in the car, and glad her insurance is paying.

wow, that's a huge bill.

insurance is mandatory for even the smallest thing, it seems.

it didn't seem like she CARED to even control her door. like, hey, doors are meant to be dinged, right?

sheesh. just re-watched - she didn't even TRY to hold her hand over the swinging door. just let it swing until it gets to the detent. the cares of a little child and not that of an adult. ARGH!

she should pay out of pocket, just to learn her some lessons about how to treat other people's property.

Reactions: croman
Wait, paintless dent removal was not possible on a door ding? Someone proficient in PDR can work magic.

Also does not matter "wind" caused it or not. When you open the door, it is the responsibility of the person who opens the door to make sure that door does not hit another car and causes damage.

In fact when I open my door, I place my finger on the edge of my door so my finger would be injured before I risk damaging someone else's property. Glad you are getting her to pay. I would have treated it like any other accident. Basically ask for driver's license and insurance information and make a copy of both and if they refuse tell them you have their tag number and you will call the police and file a hit and run if she leaves the scene before giving you insurance information.

If I track down a door ding perpetrator, I would treat it exactly like someone at fault who caused an accident. Sentry camera footage greatly helps prove your case.

Next time she'll be careful opening doors.

Also get one of these and keep it in the car. God forbid I have a traffic stop or have to converse with anyone who damaged my property, this is going to get turned on and I'll clip it to my clothing so the entire conversation is recorded.

https://www.amazon.com/Recording-Wi...keywords=pen+spy+camera&qid=1593553501&sr=8-4

Last edited:
its also why I park on end spots 99% of the time...far away from others, and nowhere near that yellow line you are parked very close to.
Still 100% her fault...but to avoid the hassle, I park FAR away and on the end.

its also why I park on end spots 99% of the time...far away from others, and nowhere near that yellow line you are parked very close to.
Still 100% her fault...but to avoid the hassle, I park FAR away and on the end.

Yup and for some strange reason people still park next to you. I once parked on essentially an empty lot totally out of the way and a minivan pulls up right next to me when there are dozens of empty spots all around us. It's like they need another car as reference to park.

I was in the car so before they could even open the door I backed up and parked one spot over.

What terrifies me more than anything are places that require valet parking. Hopefully with all this COVID stuff, valet parking as a concept will cease to exist.

God I love having first-world problems.

Really looking forward to auto-parking my bulletproof Cybertruck into the narrowest possible spaces. Do your worst, parking-lot bandits!

I suppose you can use the "first world problem" bit on just about every thread/topic on this forum... :rolleyes:

And I'd say the entire concept of Valet parking is a first world "solution" to a problem that I personally never have. Just tell me where to park and I'll park my own car. :D

Some people do not like to admit fault nor take responsibility; some people value their possessions take efforts to preserve them. This was an unfortunate clash of the two. We bought our 2013 S85 used, so we bought it with a good a few scratches at the rear bumper cover under the trunk lid, sand scars at the front bumper cover, two small dings on the side, a couple of small smudges on the headline, and a good amount of curb rash on the wheels. I typically let small vehicular contacts slide, but perhaps my attitude would be different if the car was in new condition or if I were making payments on the car.

One thing I do to prevent door dings unto others is that I place my hand over the protruding section of the door as I'm opening it to make sure there's not car-to-car contact. Sadly there are many careless and inconsiderate people who just don't take the extra care or thought to mitigate some potentially costly damage. Luckily the OP was there with video proof, and that the everything seems to be square...although there is the inconvenience of the time it takes to do the repair.

Reactions: PhilDavid