Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48 amps or 72 Amps... Why should I get either?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Home charging is typically done by installing a NEMA 14-50 socket on a 240V/50A circuit; by code, you can only pull 40A continuous on that 50A circuit. For most people, an overnight charge at 40A is all they ever need for their daily driving.

Road trips where there are few Superchargers along the way (but with good availability of 80A Level 2 charging locations) are the best use case for dual chargers (in the Model S) or the 72A charger option in the X. If RV parks are your best charging option, you'll still be limited to 40A charging at the source and the 72A charger won't do you any good.
Bold needs updating. (S transitioned to 48 / 72 model a bit back.)

Edit: Apologies, Steve. Didn't realize I was replying to an old post.

We don't have any superchargers close to our home and no charging available at work. On more than one occasion we ended up driving more than anticipated leaving us short on range. Having a HPWC at home and dual chargers in our S, we were able to plug in and charge at 80. Got enough range fast enough to finish running errands for the day.

So we ordered the 72 on our X because our experience on these occasions.

I've never heard anyone complain about being able to charge too fast, only too slow!