Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 battery install Lake of the Pines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 4 kW solar to 1 Powerwall rule of thumb is probably just a a generic rule to take into account all climates and situations. I think every buyer has to assess their unique home/needs and make a determination that is best suited for what they're trying to accomplish.

This is why buying from Tesla Energy directly is kind of annoying. They try to force every project down to a least-common-denominator cookie cutter approach. While this may be great for a home in the middle of the bell curve, it sucks if the homeowner has annoying limitations or special considerations.

For example, my home is limited to 7.9 kWp of solar. I simply couldn't find any installer that would put more panels on the one roof that is a solar candidate. But, I need 3 Powerwalls to actually start these bastard Lennox air conditioners. So the 4:1 ratio goes out the window for me.

PS, I have 3x Powerwalls, no EV, and I am applying for NEM2-MT with TOU-C (MIL lives with us and has a CPAP/HHD).
I have not done an excel spreadsheet, but with those batteries, the EV2-a plan maybe cost effective? My goal is to at least from 3 to 12pm, run100% batteries any solar goes back at peak rate which as you know is way over non peak. For tou-c, the rates for peak and non peak are about the same so does not matter

Am confused. What puts one on NEM-MT vs NEM-PS?

And is there a difference on rate plan options with PGE?

Good luck figuring this one out... I was told the one-time fee was the same for NEM2-MT and NEM2-PS (since everyone who goes down this path starts wiht NEM2-MT and is later moved to NEM2-PS if they "qualify".

And NEM2-PS is supposed to have less NBC's and shouldn't have the requirement to keep the insurance with PG&E named.

1616433477526.png

Good luck figuring this one out... I was told the one-time fee was the same for NEM2-MT and NEM2-PS (since everyone who goes down this path starts wiht NEM2-MT and is later moved to NEM2-PS if they "qualify".

And NEM2-PS is supposed to have less NBC's and shouldn't have the requirement to keep the insurance with PG&E named.

View attachment 647007
Yep, read that and cannot make sense of it.

Meaning, our batteries, IMO, are not generators, meaning, they cannot send to the grid.

So if I have 65KW of batteries, what is this 150%? I have 15KW of solar

I have not done an excel spreadsheet, but with those batteries, the EV2-a plan maybe cost effective? My goal is to at least from 3 to 12pm, run100% batteries any solar goes back at peak rate which as you know is way over non peak. For tou-c, the rates for peak and non peak are about the same so does not matter

Yeah, I think the key thing is to determine how often (if at all) one grid-charges the Powerwalls. For the day(s) solar isn't sufficient to generate energy to survive the next day, EV2A is better assuming the Powerwalls were charged at off-peak rates.

But in my case where I won't grid-charge the PWs, I think TOU-C makes more sense because I won't have to manually manage all these tiered rates.

I really wish Tesla would make grid-charging at off-peak a standard feature if the weather forecast had rain/cloudcover. Then for sure I'd switch to EV2A. This would totally make the $30 per month NBC worthwhile since I would be at zero risk of using that expensive peak-time power.

Last edited:
Yep, read that and cannot make sense of it.

Meaning, our batteries, IMO, are not generators, meaning, they cannot send to the grid.

So if I have 65KW of batteries, what is this 150%? I have 15KW of solar

Lol, I contacted the guy who put that slide together and he still couldn't explain it to me in a way that made sense :p

For the sake of your sanity, just assume PG&E always assumes every ESS is capable of grid export. If you get NEM2-MT or NEM2-PS and you do not grid charge or grid export, that's just on you for being inefficient / sub-par. PG&E is going to charge you tariffs, fees, and require insurance as if you were grid charging and exporting alongside your solar.

They don't care if Tesla claims to make this difficult or impossible. They don't care if the federal ITC requires PV+ESS to not grid charge/export.

On the 150% ratio; you're mixing kWh with kW. PW2's are 5 kW devices in PG&E's eyes (total 25 kW for your five). So your ratio is 25 kW of ESS / 15 kW of solar ... and it puts you above the 150% rule. But if you had more solar, technically you "should" qualify for large-scale NEM-PS.

I say "should" because good luck convincing anybody at PG&E to do what makes sense to you.

Last edited:
I am loving what the PW's are allowing me to do. Basically get to a large percentage off grid. Not 100%, but darn close. Now, this is what is happening with me having my heat pumps completely off. Works great in the transition months. Does NOT work in the dead of winter when I am using 30 to 50 kwh just for heating and only making maybe 20kwh for the day. Batteries go dead. The only plus when I get on EV2a is I am only using grid at non peak and pumping all my solar back to the grid at peak for 3X the cost.

PW.JPG

1 year MTBF is not good. I hope you can get it back online soon.
Me too. What is weird is after 6 hours off line, and no battery charging, it started to work again. Its probably been doing this for a long time, but it was only when I got the batteries and tesla app that I could see what each piece was going. When I told me installers, they said it was just a cold panel causing the inverter to be in the off state. So this is why I worked with solaredge, who have been GREAT!! Will see how quickly it gets here. Now I just have to see if my installer is going to say but the battery install messed stuff up so we are not going to support you anymore. :( After the amount of money I spent with them, and stuff still having issues, I hope I miss heard them. Glad I bought the 25 year warranty. Need to do for the second one also.

Me too. What is weird is after 6 hours off line, and no battery charging, it started to work again. Its probably been doing this for a long time, but it was only when I got the batteries and tesla app that I could see what each piece was going. When I told me installers, they said it was just a cold panel causing the inverter to be in the off state. So this is why I worked with solaredge, who have been GREAT!! Will see how quickly it gets here. Now I just have to see if my installer is going to say but the battery install messed stuff up so we are not going to support you anymore. :( After the amount of money I spent with them, and stuff still having issues, I hope I miss heard them. Glad I bought the 25 year warranty. Need to do for the second one also.
That is not good. I hope you get it straightened out.

I have a flaky inverter, so one back of my PW's have not been able to be charge. So, were down to like 40%. The PV started for some reason today so the PW's were able to be charged. I am on balanced. What impressed me is the smarts knew what it would take from PV to get to100% charge at 3pm peak, so it would add some grid power to meet this goal. Now, a few before 3, 5% PV doing house, rest going to grid. Batteries read to take over 100% in a few. Love it

As Iook at my batteries, and maybe some more solar, this article was interesting.

But, when we consider the install price of roughly $12,500 for most Tesla Powerwall systems and subtract the 30% tax credit, that leaves a 19+ year payback. This does not “pencil.”

But, when we consider the install price of roughly $12,500 for most Tesla Powerwall systems and subtract the 30% tax credit, that leaves a 19+ year payback. This does not “pencil.”
Not having digested the entirety of the article, I find that quote from the article questionable since the install price requires a very important caveat on when it is installed - from Tesla, if done with solar (which may be the only option direct from Tesla right now,) the price appears to be $8,500 for 2 PWs, dropping to $7,500 for 4+. Of course, third parties have their own pricing. And, the ITC is 26%, not 30%.

In any case, the quote requires the context that this is specific to the Massachusetts SMART program for a 10 kW, 1 PW system. It then goes on to state "Combine [Connected Solutions] with the above SMART incentive cash and the payback period is shortened to 4.7 years. Now we’re cooking with electricity!" So the actual conclusion seems to suggest that, in fact, it can "pencil" for these very people, provided they choose to enroll in both programs.

Reactions: jhn_