Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 battery install Lake of the Pines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not having digested the entirety of the article, I find that quote from the article questionable since the install price requires a very important caveat on when it is installed - from Tesla, if done with solar (which may be the only option direct from Tesla right now,) the price appears to be $8,500 for 2 PWs, dropping to $7,500 for 4+. Of course, third parties have their own pricing. And, the ITC is 26%, not 30%.

In any case, the quote requires the context that this is specific to the Massachusetts SMART program for a 10 kW, 1 PW system. It then goes on to state "Combine [Connected Solutions] with the above SMART incentive cash and the payback period is shortened to 4.7 years. Now we’re cooking with electricity!" So the actual conclusion seems to suggest that, in fact, it can "pencil" for these very people, provided they choose to enroll in both programs.
Yep, once can spin numbers anyway one wants. Here the price PER battery is about 12K installed. And no way would anyone live off of one battery. Tesla suggests 3 for whole home. Its not 7500 total for 4 PW's I believe?

Reactions: jboy210
Yep, once can spin numbers anyway one wants. Here the price PER battery is about 12K installed.
I don’t want to start another thread that debates the meaning of a word or two... 😉

But it’s not “spin” when the numbers are simply different for people in different scenarios. Like you mention in your follow-up sentence, location and all the variables that come with it matter.

There is no one answer and everyone coming to this thread asking if powerwalls make sense should do the homework using the specifics or their locality, utility, solar generation, incentives offered, quoted pricing available, time expected to live at residence, etc. If they want to know the true financial impact for them. And there are plenty of people that also want Powerwalls for reasons where the finances don’t matter as much.

Reactions: jboy210
Yep, once can spin numbers anyway one wants. Here the price PER battery is about 12K installed. And no way would anyone live off of one battery. Tesla suggests 3 for whole home. Its not 7500 total for 4 PW's I believe?
No, it's $7,500 each, but the point is that the 19-year payback cited the quote falls to as low as 11.5 years on that alone. And, while one can "spin numbers", it is disingenuous to take that quote out of the context of MA only and for people choosing SMART but not also Connected Solutions. Indeed, as I pointed out, even with the $12,500 number, the author does conclude that the math pencils out for < 5 year payback when using both programs.

This discussion of for whom PWs make sense from a financial payback standpoint has been hashed out many times and will continue to be as conditions change and because the answer is so location-specific, but any debate should be based on the actual information and not a cherry-picked quote. I think the article itself is generally reasonable (other than noting that some of the numbers seem to be a bit off) - it seems to recognize that the issue is location-specific and cites examples of where (including MA and HI) PWs could pay for themselves while also noting that in many areas it won't. And, it recognizes (via the TX note) that there can be more than strict electricity savings involved.

with using the batteries and sending solar back, got a nice 250 credit from PGE for month of march. So, as of 9 months, back in the generation credit bucket. Looks good I will have a zero ENERGY bill from PGE this year. Yea!! (And this was a number of days no solar since my inverter was broken :( )

I just got called from my installer. PGE has just updated a new NEM form for folks with 3 or more batteries, so I had to resign. Interesting with my quick scan I see nothing about NEM-MT or NEM-PS

This news makes me so angry... So you're just signing a generic NEM 2.0 form? No insurance crap? No stupid check boxes about when you can use your batteries?

So far not seeing any of that. Was told they made it look more like the stuff with 1 or 2 batteries

Dude, your combined generation facility of 5x batteries + 15 kW solar is 40 kW total). That's like 165 Amps of possible backfeeding PG&E would need to account for (since PG&E assumes all batteries are grid exporting).

If this passes by a PG&E interconnection person's desk as NEM 2.0 since you only have "2" batteries and this isn't a big deal for PG&E... I'm going to call them up and yell at them.

• Funny
Reactions: Electrph
Dude, your combined generation facility of 5x batteries + 15 kW solar is 40 kW total). That's like 165 Amps of possible backfeeding PG&E would need to account for (since PG&E assumes all batteries are grid exporting).

If this passes by a PG&E interconnection person's desk as NEM 2.0 since you only have "2" batteries and this isn't a big deal for PG&E... I'm going to call them up and yell at them.
Shall see. Based on others posts, I still assume it will be NEM-MT or NEM-PS, which I still do not see being any money difference than NEM-2?

Shall see. Based on others posts, I still assume it will be NEM-MT or NEM-PS, which I still do not see being any money difference than NEM-2?

The insurance thing is the big one... NEM2 standard forms don't require you to buy up $1mm insurance with PG&E as a named insured. Plus, you can grid charge your batteries and grid export with impunity under NEM2. It'll make sure you have zero chance at any true-up bill since you can always just bank peak credits using off-peak power if you're running a deficit for true-up.

Assuming you ever found a way to grid charge and grid export from your Powerwalls like PG&E thinks you can...

The insurance thing is the big one... NEM2 standard forms don't require you to buy up $1mm insurance with PG&E as a named insured. Plus, you can grid charge your batteries and grid export with impunity under NEM2. It'll make sure you have zero chance at any true-up bill since you can always just bank peak credits using off-peak power if you're running a deficit for true-up.

Assuming you ever found a way to grid charge and grid export from your Powerwalls like PG&E thinks you can...
I have yet to hear anyone in the US be able to grid export. We know it is technically possible since I believe other countries do this.

Now grid charging, ... :)

But the form was nothing like you posted.

Tesla sent me that same form to sign on 4/5 (after signing a previous NEM form beginning of March) with 3 batteries. I didn't prod them for this, they just did it on their own. They have yet to actually correct the incorrect bits on the application, though; they may have done a blanket send out to all new customers with the new form.

I have yet to hear anyone in the US be able to grid export. We know it is technically possible since I believe other countries do this.

Now grid charging, ... :)

But the form was nothing like you posted.

Yeah, this post probably your best bet.

wwhitney was looking at spoofing a load with a CT that was magnified. So like he could turn on a light bulb or something, but then the CT would read it to be like 100 light bulbs and blast out lots of suds. That way he could control when the Powerwalls would backfeed or automated it with some simple timer. I guess this fake bulb would need to be non-backup side of the TEG2 gateway so that if the grid went offline, the Powerwalls wouldn't screw up his house.