Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 battery install Lake of the Pines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just signed the ICF form, which I assume is the SGIP stuff that gets sent to them. Mine said I had to cycle batteries 52 weeks a year for 5 years. So what has others said?
The cycling requirement is the equivalent of one 100% discharge per Powerwall 52 times per year for 5 years. It can be a single full discharge once a week, an average of 15% discharge daily, a little over 4 full discharges per month, etc.
You will easily met this requirement the way you use your Powerwalls.

Just finished signing all the paperwork I think needed so the installer says they can submit stuff to SGIP. Shall see what happens now. How long has it taken folks to get their money from SGIP once paperwork submitted? Did SGIP have any other questions my installer might have missed?
Mine was about 3 months between submission and approval, then about another month for the check to arrive. There was an inspection by a SGIP contractor who took pictures prior to approval.

The cycling requirement is the equivalent of one 100% discharge per Powerwall 52 times per year for 5 years. It can be a single full discharge once a week, an average of 15% discharge daily, a little over 4 full discharges per month, etc.
Yep, am assuming this will be the case. I just like to have maximum flexibility with things I use. If I were really nuts, I would turn off my 400 amp service, and see how long I can go being 100% off the grid. But, I am producing so much solar, and getting generation credits, so would not want to lose all I am sending back to the grid. Keeping my house at 74 is cool enough.

I just looked at my loan account which has how much batteries info.

Says April discharged 122kwh from batteries and charged 175kwh from solar. I assume this is a good sign?

Says April discharged 122kwh from batteries and charged 175kwh from solar. I assume this is a good sign?
The way I figure it you'd need to discharge about 287kwh/month (13.2kwh/Powerwall X 5 Powerwalls X 4.35 weeks/month) but obviously this can vary by time of year.

How can amount discharged not be equal to amount charged by solar, are you charging from the grid? I guess if you started April with discharged batteries and finished with charged batteries the math would work.

Last edited:
The way I figure it you'd need to discharge about 287kwh/month (13.2kwh/Powerwall X 5 Powerwalls X 4.35 weeks/month) but obviously this can vary by time of year.

How can amount discharged not be equal to amount charged by solar, are you charging from the grid? I guess if you started April with discharged batteries and finished with charged batteries the math would work.
Thinking about it, you are right. But in april I ran no heat or air, so small amounts. Now that I am starting to run AC the battery use is going up. And with heat, it will use them up. Fun to watch.

Thanks

No idea how they are getting numbers. Nope, only grid charge was when it put in storm watch first time. Since then, I turned off storm watch. Will see if may numbers are both the same.

The numbers, maybe solar, are a guess. What they have and what SE says I produced in solar are quite different.

I also think what is going on is effectively, I am only using the batteries to run the house when the solar is off in balanced peak mode. Makes sense looking at what is going on now. Solar is totally running the house, and what is left over is charging the batteries. If I have issues, worse that happens is I force the batteries to be used more, which in winter, will totally drain. And if that is not good enough, I can say it is because Tesla would not allow me to follow the law and charge from grid. :)

The numbers, maybe solar, are a guess. What they have and what SE says I produced in solar are quite different.

I also think what is going on is effectively, I am only using the batteries to run the house when the solar is off in balanced peak mode. Makes sense looking at what is going on now. Solar is totally running the house, and what is left over is charging the batteries. If I have issues, worse that happens is I force the batteries to be used more, which in winter, will totally drain. And if that is not good enough, I can say it is because Tesla would not allow me to follow the law and charge from grid. :)
My understanding is Tesla monitors this and will "help" you reach the goal if you are under running towards the end of the year.

Just got the notice, and I can see from the county, my installer put my plans in for more solar to the building department for a permit. Stated 41 panels, for a total of DC 28.49 KW which includes what I have now. Still going to be interesting how this works out.

Seems just about the right amount of Solar for 5 batteries?

Last edited:
Just got the notice, and I can see from the county, my installer put my plans in for more solar to the building department for a permit. Stated 41 panels, for a total of DC 28.49 KW which includes what I have now. Still going to be interesting how this works out.

Seems just about the right amount of Solar for 5 batteries?

No, I think you need 5 more batteries...

Looks like the numbers from my load co are who knows. I looked at my SE portal, and tesla and for April produced 2130kwh, and I used from the
batteries 332kwh. I used 55kwh from grid, and 570kwh to the house. And this is w/o any AC or heat. So yep, should be just fine cycling.

Last edited:
Just got my first bill with all battery use. I guess this says I am 99% off the grid.

gen.JPG

Just got a note from SGIP saying they received the ICF stuff.

Pacific Gas and Electric will perform a detailed review of the ICF package within the next 10 business days to ensure all required documentation was submitted. Pacific Gas and Electric will contact you regarding any missing, incomplete, or invalid information, at which point you will have 30 business days from the date of the request email to resolve any issues.

Once your ICF documentation is complete your project will be submitted for technical review.

Just got a note from SGIP saying they received the ICF stuff.

Pacific Gas and Electric will perform a detailed review of the ICF package within the next 10 business days to ensure all required documentation was submitted. Pacific Gas and Electric will contact you regarding any missing, incomplete, or invalid information, at which point you will have 30 business days from the date of the request email to resolve any issues.

Once your ICF documentation is complete your project will be submitted for technical review.

Dang I got the same email from them exactly a month ago. I think you're going to beat me in the SGIP race :( :( :(