Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5 battery install Lake of the Pines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to work directly with my building department because he had failed my additional 41 solar panels. Once I explained to them what was going, no issues and the permit has been approved. Now my installer is going to schedule the install. I still am shocked they have not gotten the okay from PGE first, but what do I know.

They could not get the data, so I just called Tesla asking for their SGIP group to pull the info from my batteries and send me the file.
We should have known this was needed, oh well.
Others here have talked about the 7 day discharge report that PG&E requires for SGIP. I read about it before it was required.

My installer got the report once it was requested by PG&E as part of the ICF phase of the approval.
I'm not sure if asking your installer for it before it was needed for your SGIP portal would have mattered.

In my case, it was just another minor blip on the already long and arduous road.

Reactions: h2ofun
ICF Submitted: 5/20/2021
Request for 7 day discharge data: 5/24/2021
Homeowner Requested Report from Tesla: 5/24/2021
Tesla Replied with Report: 6/2/2021
Report sent back to SGIP for ICF review 6/2/2021
Revised ICF Received: x/x/2021
ICF Inspection: x/x/2021
ICF Approval: x/x/2021

I have permit for adding 15K more solar, 41 panels, to bring total to 29KW, 88 panels. Waiting for installer to set install date.
Then told ONLY after installed do they send info to PGE asking for approval.
Weird. That isn't what we had to do. We had to get PG&E sign off before the build as part of the permitting process.

If PG&E says "no" post build, the homeowner would have some expensive shingles, wouldn't they? What is the next step if the utility says "no more than 40W-minutes per year of solar at this address"?

I realize you are in a different area, with different permitting regulations, but it seems like build first and get approval later has the potential to strand a large cost with no recourse.

Good luck.

BG

Weird. That isn't what we had to do. We had to get PG&E sign off before the build as part of the permitting process.

If PG&E says "no" post build, the homeowner would have some expensive shingles, wouldn't they? What is the next step if the utility says "no more than 40W-minutes per year of solar at this address"?

I realize you are in a different area, with different permitting regulations, but it seems like build first and get approval later has the potential to strand a large cost with no recourse.

Good luck.

BG
i have told them. they told they have had to remove dome in past at their cost.

i have told them. they told they have had to remove dome in past at their cost.
I was surprised also when I found out no pre-authorization happens. When the installers came out, said yeah, its all approved by PG&E... Then later while talking to the Tesla rep, she specifically said no. I asked, "What happens if PG&E does not approve", her response was "We come pull off enough panels to get PG&E approval"... This sounds like a really backwards way of doing things. I have some concern since the system is about 160% of last year's usage. We did purchase an EV, so that helps, but even after that we are 120-130%. I am waiting for PTO, and still have not seen one single interconnection document of any type... Tesla never once mentioned size might be a problem, and they have my previous year's usage.

Reactions: h2ofun
SGIP just came back and said my 1 year date is just about to run out, and info needs to be submitted on why an extension is needed. Now, do that no know
the ICF information is in their hands? Sure glad I did not use Tesla, since my installer I assume will be responding today!

Had my first 100KWH solar production yesterday. Cool.

Have my solar installers here today to add another 15kw. So nice working with local folks and get things done fast. They wanted me to sign a PGE NEM form saying this solar meets the requirements of use. I said I would not sign since I have already told them multiple times they know what they are doing and can get approval, right. I am NOT taking responsibility!!!