Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$50,000+ car while economy in freefall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's better than them using their resources to influence other country's government, media and many others. Even Russia is not that sick and pathetic. I think every country who have trusted China are learning the hard way (Hi Boris Johnson). Australia is also learning how bad the Chinese government have infiltrated their entire country too, it's sad that people don't see through it.

I find the viewpoint from some posters here that delaying or cancelling the purchase of a $50,000 car during a pandemic/financial crisis/job loss just means that you are poor or that your plan was flawed all along...illogical at best and offensive at worst. Being on the receiving end of a lay-off in the middle of this situation really brings it all into focus.

I could pay cash today for a Model Y without impacting my financial situation for some time. The problem is about runway. If these issues linger on for an extended period of time (years), then that money absolutely does matter of whether or not my family eats. If delaying the purchase now means that I’m covered for an additional calendar year worth of living expenses several years down the line, then it makes sense to delay the purchase for a few months/indefinitely to see how things shake out first.

My primary responsibility to my family is to ensure their basic needs are met, not scratching my itch to have another cool car. I’m not going to end up being the guy on the local news living out of his Tesla Model Y at a Supercharger station in 2025 because he made a stupid decision in 2020.

People are welcome to make whatever decisions they think (or more likely, don’t think about at all) best fit their financial situation and risk tolerance - it’s your life. But, I’m not going to be made to feel like less than because I chose to take a long view and proceed with caution.

You do you. I sincerely hope it works out for you.

All I know is I would have rather have bought cash when I ordered in early Feb, than finance it in early March. I was not going to pull my money out of the market when it was down 29%.

I would wait to see what Tesla does with their Inventory cars, and what the used market does in April. They have already been order-shifting which means a lot of broken transactions. They will probably offer a carrot for new cars soon, and fearful new owners might try and cut their losses by selling their new cars.

Reactions: Electric Steve
I find the viewpoint from some posters here that delaying or cancelling the purchase of a $50,000 car during a pandemic/financial crisis/job loss just means that you are poor or that your plan was flawed all along...illogical at best and offensive at worst. Being on the receiving end of a lay-off in the middle of this situation really brings it all into focus.

I could pay cash today for a Model Y without impacting my financial situation for some time. The problem is about runway. If these issues linger on for an extended period of time (years), then that money absolutely does matter of whether or not my family eats. If delaying the purchase now means that I’m covered for an additional calendar year worth of living expenses several years down the line, then it makes sense to delay the purchase for a few months/indefinitely to see how things shake out first.

My primary responsibility to my family is to ensure their basic needs are met, not scratching my itch to have another cool car. I’m not going to end up being the guy on the local news living out of his Tesla Model Y at a Supercharger station in 2025 because he made a stupid decision in 2020.

People are welcome to make whatever decisions they think (or more likely, don’t think about at all) best fit their financial situation and risk tolerance - it’s your life. But, I’m not going to be made to feel like less than because I chose to take a long view and proceed with caution.

You do you. I sincerely hope it works out for you.
That's entirely fair, and I certainly don't look down on anyone who postpones (or even cancels) this purchase. Nobody absolutely must have a Tesla, and there are higher priorities, especially when you have responsibilities. Having said that, cars can also be sold, and you get to drive them in the meantime.

I find the viewpoint from some posters here that delaying or cancelling the purchase of a $50,000 car during a pandemic/financial crisis/job loss just means that you are poor or that your plan was flawed all along...illogical at best and offensive at worst.

Meh. You're probably right for the most part, but I can think of several situations where that is not true.

That's entirely fair, and I certainly don't look down on anyone who postpones (or even cancels) this purchase. Nobody absolutely must have a Tesla, and there are higher priorities, especially when you have responsibilities. Having said that, cars can also be sold, and you get to drive them in the meantime.

On Saturday, March 21st, I was wistfully cruising the tesla.com site and in a moment of temporary insanity, I put together a new X100d order. I noticed that the new ones only came with one year of connectivity. My 2017 X100d had permanent connectivity. So I called and got a very nice man. I said, I'll pull the trigger tonight if you can make it permanent. He laughed and said, "No way". Offended, I declined, and since then have breathed easier. I was on the verge of committing to a 85000 car, with 20% down, with another great depression on the doorstep. And I agree with another poster that as things get better, the price will go down.

On Saturday, March 21st, I was wistfully cruising the tesla.com site and in a moment of temporary insanity, I put together a new X100d order. I noticed that the new ones only came with one year of connectivity. My 2017 X100d had permanent connectivity. So I called and got a very nice man. I said, I'll pull the trigger tonight if you can make it permanent. He laughed and said, "No way". Offended, I declined, and since then have breathed easier. I was on the verge of committing to a 85000 car, with 20% down, with another great depression on the doorstep. And I agree with another poster that as things get better, the price will go down.
Prices will go down. Features will go up. In the meantime, you have to drive something.

Longtime lurker. Put in my Model Y reservation the week it was announced. Perhaps my name will come up soon.

But 3 million people just filed for unemployment nationwide this past week with the coronavirus disaster. The country is moving into recession if not depression. People are stockpiling toilet paper and beans. Just doesn't seem like a great time to spend $50,000+ unecessarily. Yet post after post goes up at TMC reporting, "just got my Model 3!" or "my Model Y just arrived!" Many are thrilled, some posts complain about build quality, and more. But I'm just wondering how are folks reasoning their way through spending a large amount of money at this time?

I'm not saying choices are right or wrong. Just wondering how people are thinking through pros and cons.

If I was seriously worried about money or a job status, I wouldn't buy one now. Fortunately, I don't think either apply to me so I'm moving forward.

If I was seriously worried about money or a job status, I wouldn't buy one now. Fortunately, I don't think either apply to me so I'm moving forward.

Since they keep using the term "unprecedented," I would say most people that think they are immune to this virus economically are wrong. It could be shocking where we are as a country in a couple of months as industries could collapse that are pretty far away from the other end of where the dominos started falling over. But then again, it could all be rosy in a couple of months. No one knows for sure.

Since they keep using the term "unprecedented," I would say most people that think they are immune to this virus economically are wrong. It could be shocking where we are as a country in a couple of months as industries could collapse that are pretty far away from the other end of where the dominos started falling over. But then again, it could all be rosy in a couple of months. No one knows for sure.
Arguably, 1918 was the precedent, but it's not easily comparable. Still, yes, we shouldn't assume the economy will survive intact. It would suck to have a new car and not be able to make payments on it, or even to own it outright and need the money for survival but not have anyone to sell it to. Buyer beware, in more ways than one.