Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50k miles yr

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I am close to ordering my model 3 . I drive 50,000 miles yr. the last thing I want is a 5-6 yr loan on a car that is dying . What is the general opinion on how many miles this car can go before the repairs are not worth doing . Thank you in advance.

Examples of great battery-lifetimes from the Model S/X plus the powertrain guarantee basically "only" leaves the question open how well the actual car will perform outside of the warranty period, and that`s something no one can tell you yet.

From my personal Model S/X experiences I´d not keep those beyond the warranty period, ever, but the Model 3 is a very different car, soooo.....

Reactions: adaptabl
The Model S history has a fair number of cars that have gone in excess of 300,000 miles without major repairs. IIRC most fo them have had battery replacements covered by waranty, but few have had them since the post. 90 kWh packs, which were an anomaly initially. Examples:
Large Tesla taxi fleet at Amsterdam’s airport gets updated with Model X electric SUVs
Home
Christian Roy ⚡⚡️ (@TeslaTaxi) | Twitter

Frankly, it seems running a Model 3 50,000 miles/yr is likely to be a perfect use case. It's a good idea to order a performance version when you drive that much because free Supercharging will certainly be worthwhile. Take the 18" wheels though, for longevity and cheaper tires.

FWIW, I drove a Model S that had 102,000 miles when I drove it. It was almost indistinguishable from a brand new one. 'almost' because it was AP-1 and a straight 85, so obviously it was several years old. An associate rode with me in that car while I had it and asked me if i had acquired a new car. A Model 3 will probably do much better because of the improved systems and quality control taht come with higher volume and newer design.

I would not worry about the battery or drivetrain, other portions of the car I do not know but like was said above, this is the perfect use for a Model 3, gas savings alone will make it worth it. There's a taxi driver in the Netherlands with 400,000km on his car, he still has 93% of his original range.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
I presume this is mostly a money play for OP, who is happy to get into a really good car.

Car cost: $51k
Fed tax credit ($7.5k)
NY tax credit ($2.5k)
Fuel savings: I estimate no less than 7 cents a mile. Since the Model 3 LR is warrantied out to 120k miles that is a reasonable worse case of ($8.4k)

Maximum cost: $32.6K
Actual ? See how far the car takes you past 120k miles. The Tesla experience thus far has been much higher.

The one caveat to be aware of though is the winter hit in driving range. Figure up to 30%

• Helpful
@jjomaski

Less than 1% degradation on the S @40k in one year. Which I think is superb, and with many supercharging visits. I would be at 55k now if we didn't buy a 3. Just a great experience.

I would be of the opinion that I would own both cars for a significant period of time. Eight years or more. Boom 400k. That would be a great thread for you. My journey to 400k.

Keep good tires on. Helps them stay out of the body shop.

• Helpful
Hi
I am close to ordering my model 3 . I drive 50,000 miles yr. the last thing I want is a 5-6 yr loan on a car that is dying . What is the general opinion on how many miles this car can go before the repairs are not worth doing . Thank you in advance.

More of a Tesla question than a Model 3 Q, since obviously there isn't enough history to go on.

That's too bad you didn't order before August 1st, you could have had an excuse to pony up the 15K for Performance which would have given you free unlimited supercharging for life... Could have saved up you to $10K over 5 years of ownership and almost pay back the performance. In theory anyway.

• Helpful
More of a Tesla question than a Model 3 Q, since obviously there isn't enough history to go on.

That's too bad you didn't order before August 1st, you could have had an excuse to pony up the 15K for Performance which would have given you free unlimited supercharging for life... Could have saved up you to $10K over 5 years of ownership and almost pay back the performance. In theory anyway.
I presume OP will charge most of his miles at home regardless, just to save time and for the convenience but certainly the free Supercharging has value. That, in addition to the unlimited miles warranty for 8 years of the Model 'S' is something to consider. And of course the 100D is probably the ultimate cruiser car, not insignificant for someone who spends so many hours a week in the car.

Last edited:

Most people don't SC that much. Everyday charging is not what super chargers are for.

He can still get unlimited supercharging by using a referral code.

I'd worry. Everyone looking at the high mileage Model S cars are forgetting that they have an unlimited powertrain warranty. And Tesloop cars seem to get preferential treatment from Tesla due to their Q score (how famous they are). If you add in the cost of drive motors and battery swaps that Tesla covered, the repair bills would be astronomical.

The Model 3 is completely different due to the difference in warranty. We hope the updated battery pack and motors are longer lasting, but we just don't know. But history of the Model S is actually not good if you take into account the warranty difference.

I presume OP will charge most of his miles at home regardless, just to save time and for the convenience but certainly the free Supercharging has value. That, in addition to the unlimited miles warranty for 8 years of the Model 'S' is something to consider. And of course the 100D is probably the ultimate cruiser car, not insignificant for someone who spends so many hours a week in the car.
A bit of soft arithmetic:

400k miles warranted
$80k cost
Figure 2.5 cents a mile fuel
---
22.5 cents a mile for one of the best, if not THE best, cars on the road.

Average gas prices in Buffalo NY are about $3/gallon right now. At 30 MPG that's $417/month on gasoline. I would be curious what you you will pay for electricity where you live at night.... But the average residential electricity rate in Buffalo is 11.74¢/kWh. So at 300 watts per mile (from the wall) that's $146.75/month on electricity. That's $270/month net savings over a 30MPG ICE. $3,243/yr and $16,215/5 yrs....Maybe you can use those savings to justify any out of warranty repairs that pop up.. .

Reactions: outdoors