Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6/27 Invites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's my hunch. They know the approximate pick up rate for the RWD version of the car. I'm guessing they have a decent backlog of these that they will claim shipping logistics with the sudden increase in production slowed their distribution, but will say they worked that out and deliver those quickly.

The line will then be devoted to AWD and performance vehicles now that they can manufacture those in high numbers.

I'm guessing they have an estimate on how many will get these. If we are really at 5k a week, we will see 100,000 more 3s in this delivery window.

I also don't think the SR version is a big conspiracy (not saying you said it, but others have). They said this was their big issue, it took them over 6 months to redesign and implement the new line. They wouldn't have started the design of the SR battery until that design was proven. We are at that point now, so the time line shakes out to me.

I get the wait sucks. I can't believe my car hasn't completely died. But I think we're seeing the end, and I do believe they are doing their best... They need the money!

All fair points. But I don’t think they should be saying delivery in 3-5 months for someone like me who reserved in February 2018 for a LR RWD. I just don’t see how it’s possible. As others have mentioned, they need to be better at communicating with their customers. The jerky delivery estimates are no good.

And I really hope I can have an option to buy a $46,000 model 3 in the first half of next year.

As I recall, the tax credit is per car purchased, not per household. Obviously, you'd need a tax liability of at least $15k to absorb the full credit if you're intending on claiming 2 full credits in a single year.
Ok, so this is not a REFUNDABLE tax credit. I thought you got the positive balance a a refund. So if I owed 2500 on taxes, I would get 5k refund, you’re saying that’s not the case?

Ok, so this is not a REFUNDABLE tax credit. I thought you got the positive balance a a refund. So if I owed 2500 on taxes, I would get 5k refund, you’re saying that’s not the case?
According to the IRS, the electric vehicle tax credit is a non-refundable credit that can't be carried forward--it's a use it or lose it credit that can't exceed your tax liability. So, if your tax liability is only $2500, then you'll only receive a credit of $2500.

There may be some AMT rules funnybusiness in there, but I can't recall since that's not something I have to deal with.

*edit* Removed 1040/-EZ/A line numbers... goofed.

Last edited:
Reactions: MissyMcBee
According to the IRS, the electric vehicle tax credit is a non-refundable credit that can't be carried forward--it's a use it or lose it credit that can't exceed your tax liability. So, if your tax liability (line 63 on Form 1040, line 12 on Form 1040-EZ, line 39 on Form 1040A) is only $2500, then you'll only receive a credit of $2500.

There may be some AMT rules funnybusiness in there, but I can't recall since that's not something I have to deal with.
I'm not sure its line 63, as that would include self employment taxes - which are not included in the liability for the tax credit.

Threw in my reservation on 6/20/2018, allowed to configure and order as of today. Deep down I don't trust the delivery window and I can potentially miss out on the 7500 tax credit. I am really considering a used Model S vs the Model 3.

Self-employment taxes are never refundable.

However if you are claiming the vehicle for business use, the portion of the $7500 credit claimed for business use (e.g. if you use the vehicle 80% for business, then $6000) CAN be rolled over to future years if not all used in the year of purchase. I've researched this quite extensively.

I'm hoping for delivery on December 31 - or as close as possible while making sure not to go over. :eek:

Pick up the car, drive it to my "home office" = 100% business use.

Literally "all" reservation holders...

I ordered my 2nd Model 3 on Monday 06/25 after the premium internet news, and got an invite to configure today.
So you think putting up a non-refundable deposit is worth the risk of losing out on half of the rebate money? You think Tesla will reduce/reimburse the difference if there's a delay in production?

I got no email invite, but heard about it yesterday and it wasn't an option for me until today. Probably rushed it by ordering now, considering I wanted SAS, but what's done is done. But price dropped and I'm able to order AWD so happy with that. My wife is going to kill me.

Since my nearest store is 240 miles away, I was offered home delivery.

Last edited:
I think ALL reservation holders can configure as of last night but you can’t order SR yet.

If about 200,000 folks pulled the trigger yesterday, (I have no idea how many would have) that would equate to over half a billion in revenue for Tesla !
Very nice. They could maybe build 4 more tents with that cash, and get our LRAWD MS's on the go that much faster. !!!
:)
Yay !!!