TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

6 hours old and two major issues: brake lights, headlights and car won’t turn off

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SJC3, Aug 11, 2018.

1. SJC3

SJC3 Member

was ok for a couple hours. Walk away worked after putting into park. Then I noticed the auto headlights would turn on in bright daylight. Then when parking and trying to do a walk away, the car wouldn’t lock. Take lights and headlights stay on. Can’t even open the charge door from the app, screen, button on charging plug button. Called service and had to leave a voice message. Sad start to Tesla ownership!

2. alpinebum1

alpinebum1 Member

That sucks. Sorry you're having issues. I've had mine for 5 days with absolutely no issues. Hopefully they will get yours fixed up quickly.

3. Nuclear Fusion

Mind boggling that this model of car has soooooooo many issues. Are Tesla people half trained?

• Disagree x 5
    • Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. SJC3

SJC3 Member

Thanks. Waiting for a call back. Is service usually responsive? Car is sitting with the headlights and tail lights on in the garage while draining away the battery. Just drove my ice car and old felt good! Bummer

• Funny x 1
  5. kwazi7

kwazi7 Member

Have you tried rebooting the car? Or calling roadside assistance ?

6. SJC3

SJC3 Member

I did try the reboot (with foot on pedal) and no luck. Did not call roadside as I wasn’t stranded but effectively the car is not drivable as it can’t be turned off (locking works from the app and card key). Also tried unpairing my phone as a key but no dice.

7. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

I don’t understand. How is it not locking when you say you can lock it? Is auto lock on walk away even selected?

Did you turn auto lights off?

8. SJC3

SJC3 Member

Also noticed that the on screen car icon brake lights stay on when accelerating. They don’t stay on all the time but they aren’t super responsive like the turn signal indicators on the car icon. I know there is regen that triggers the brake lights but didn’t expect it to happen when lightly accelerating.

9. SJC3

SJC3 Member

Yes, tried to turn the auto lights off and no luck.

The car will lock with the card key tap to the b pillar. I can lock the car from inside and with the app. Walk away doesn’t work anymore. Also, for all of the above scenarios, the headlights and tail lights will stay on when in P.

So to clarify, even if turn off the headlights from the screen, close the door, and lock the car with the card, the taillights stay on. So doors lock but mirrors don’t close and charging door won’t open.

Maybe something with the brake switch?

10. SJC3

SJC3 Member

Oh and I turned off the headlights staying on after locking feature to make sure. They still stay on unless I turn the headlights off from the screen.

11. kengchang

kengchang Member

Isn't there turn off car in the menu? Try that?

12. m3tx

m3tx Member

what phone are you using?

13. SJC3

SJC3 Member

iPhone X.

How do you force a shut down?

• Like x 1
  14. Krugerrand

Check the owner’s manual for the shutdown. I think there’s an option right on the screen to shut the car down. Let me see if I can find how to do it.

15. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

it almost sounds like your car thinks you're in constant proximity to the car. Maybe disconnect phone key and then set it up again.

-edit-
    disconnect phone key = removing your phone from the car system from being a key. I think it's in the Locks menu.

16. Krugerrand

Try, car icon, safety and security, vehicle power, power off

17. doubleatheman

doubleatheman Member

I had this issue once, a soft reboot fixed it. My car did this when it had a pending update downloading. Next day it never did it again.

• Helpful x 1
  18. fr100

fr100 Member

Call support (877-798-3752) so they can remote in and look at the logs and status. I called and midnight and left a message. They called me back within 10 minutes.

19. C141medic

C141medic Supporting Member

20. SJC3

SJC3 Member

Still waiting 4 hours later after leaving a msg. Will try the shut down. I don’t think it’s a proximity issue because when I had my phone setup as a key, it would show disconnected when far enough but the car was still not locked.