Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 vs 75 options changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings
I'm a M3 reservation holder who became impatient/suddenly needed a car after being rear ended. I paid the deposit on an S60D three days ago, I'm super excited.

So- I noticed that the design studio now offers the 60 and the 75 as separate cars. The 75 is no longer an upgrade option for the 60. I also cannot find any mention of the 60 model being upgradable to 75. This would seem to suggest the 60 being offered now is a different (smaller) battery. Can anyone find info to indicate the 60 is upgradeable to a 75 now? Thanks

Interesting… Its possible that Tesla re-introduced the 60 using a software-limited 75 battery. Perhaps orders were strong enough to decide to just offer a dedicated 60 battery (and not put the cost into the 75…)

So- I noticed that the design studio now offers the 60 and the 75 as separate cars.
I noticed that too but doubt there have been any changes to the cars (batteries). I'm guessing the 60 can still be upgraded to 75 and Tesla probably just wanted to encourage more 75 orders upfront (downplaying the 'upgrade later' option) by displaying it as its own ‘version’ alongside the 60, 90D, and P90D.

I think continuing to put a software limited 75 battery in the 60s makes sense as it still gives 60 buyers the option to upgrade later AND it gives Tesla the opportunity to upgrade, basically for free, 60 cars turned in or sold to them which they can then turn around and sell as pricier 75s.

Only thing I can think of, is that they probably getting a ton of orders for the 60 with the upgrade options...

I was also in the same situation as you... Model 3 reservation holder, and saw them drop the 60 again. Decided I couldn't wait. But I'm still holding on to my reservation. Hoping being a MS owner, moves up in the reservation list.

Have you decided if you are leasing or financing?

Hmmm, definitely no indication on the website that it is "upgradeable" later, and I'm sure that safety net is one of the things folks have been attracted to. If it is upgradeable, they would do well to call that out specifically.

I noticed that as well. I just assumed they changed the way to order. I certainly hope the option is still there. I ordered yesterday with the assumption it is still available. But, if you remember the odd couple show when Felix says "when you assume you make an ass out of u and me. I decided I could not wait for the Model 3 but I will not be cancelling my reservation. Wife's lease may be done by the time my number comes up :)

Hmmm, definitely no indication on the website that it is "upgradeable" later, and I'm sure that safety net is one of the things folks have been attracted to. If it is upgradeable, they would do well to call that out specifically.
Perhaps Tesla felt customers were too "attracted" to the upgrade later option and not enough were ordering a new 75 upfront. Now that the 75 has more prominence on the page, it may encourage more orders. People on the fence between a 60 and 75 are now more likely to order a 75 especially if they didn’t know a 60 was upgradeable later on (which I still think it quite likely is).

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
This is definitely something you want to get IN WRITING before purchasing a 60. Even if you have no intention of ever upgrading, a subsequent owner will surely want to know whether they can or can't. Honestly, as a guy who is shopping for a pre-owned car it is a bit of a pain trying to "detect" which options an individual car has with all the stuff changing constantly. It doesn't help that pics on auto-trader are often such low resolution you can often barely detect small stuff like the little parking sensor circles, etc.

Reactions: Az_Rael
I don't want to say how I have been monitoring it just in case they decide to change the way they do things but it doesn't look like anything has changed in their options except they (it appears it happened yesterday morning) changed the UI presentation of the 75kw battery pack option. However, this doesn't appear to be any substantial change. The only sure way to know is to look at your battery when you get it but from what I can see this change is only in the presentation layer (for now).

I guess the only way we will know is when folks start getting the 60's and 75's and seeing if they have the same battery part number.
I think it will be known before then. Someone will post information here or elsewhere about what a Tesla rep may have told them e.g. "I was all ready to order a 60 and the rep told me that the battery was no longer upgradeable to a 75" or (and more likely IMO) "I asked my rep and he told me that the 60 was still upgradeable to a 75."

There certainly shouldn't be any doubt for customers who ordered before the design page change as it clearly stated you could upgrade later.

I think it will be known before then. Someone will post information here or elsewhere about what a Tesla rep may have told them e.g. "I was all ready to order a 60 and the rep told me that the battery was no longer upgradeable to a 75" or (and more likely IMO) "I asked my rep and he told me that the 60 was still upgradeable to a 75."

There certainly shouldn't be any doubt for customers who ordered before the design page change as it clearly stated you could upgrade later.

As to that point, I was advised today by my Owner's Advisor in Denver the my 60D order to be confirmed tomorrow will be upgradable to 75

Only thing I can think of, is that they probably getting a ton of orders for the 60 with the upgrade options...

I was also in the same situation as you... Model 3 reservation holder, and saw them drop the 60 again. Decided I couldn't wait. But I'm still holding on to my reservation. Hoping being a MS owner, moves up in the reservation list.

Have you decided if you are leasing or financing?
Hi, yeah also not letting go of my M3 reservation. Yeah planning to use Alliant for financing. Thanks for the input!

For those of you that ordered your 60 MS, does it state in the order that a future upgrade to 75 via software is possible? I'm just about to order a 60 but I probably wouldn't order unless it stated that in writing.

They responded to me regarding my question and confirmed it can be upgraded. I can't see anywhere in the specs confirming it can be upgraded though. I think they probably need to make another revision to the design studio so that we can tell it is upgradable. I wouldn't know where to find info regarding the ability to upgrade the range in the purchase agreement.

They responded to me regarding my question and confirmed it can be upgraded. I can't see anywhere in the specs confirming it can be upgraded though. I think they probably need to make another revision to the design studio so that we can tell it is upgradable. I wouldn't know where to find info regarding the ability to upgrade the range in the purchase agreement.

Thanks for that info. I have an appointment at the showroom on Monday and I was most likely going to place my order for a MS 60 then. But I do need to see something in writing from Tesla when I place the order because I would not be ordering a 60 if it was not easily upgradable to a 75 in the future. An non upgradeable MS 60 is simply resurrecting a model from the past, and not something I would be interested in. I will post what I find out on Monday.