Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D and P85 was just canceled (as was green, brown and black roofs)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went down to Hawthorne for a test in 2012 drive CERTAIN I was going to order white. I came back torn between Brown and Green. I love my green car. It is just right. Having a little color but not being crazy green. I have had several people after months of seeing my car say "OH! Your car is green!" I will still order a D after I see one in person, but the color choice will be tougher. I am optimistic there will be new choices.

I went down to Hawthorne for a test in 2012 drive CERTAIN I was going to order white. I came back torn between Brown and Green. I love my green car. It is just right. Having a little color but not being crazy green. I have had several people after months of seeing my car say "OH! Your car is green!" I will still order a D after I see one in person, but the color choice will be tougher. I am optimistic there will be new choices.

Just get blue - same effect. After months of seeing my car people sometimes say "OH! your car is blue!"

Green, which I've always designed my car as when messing with the design studio, and brown, which my dad's Model S is, have always been my favorite Model S colors. The design studio never did them justice and made them look much darker than they are in person. The rest of the colors are too monochromatic or too flashy (red). I really hope Tesla introduces some new colors with the Model X that are actual colors and not shades of gray.

Very interesting. Not heard anything from my DS. I have a P85 confirmed Sept 12. Does this mean I must get the D?

Doubtful, they'll probably just make your P85 in December for sure. They're only pushing people to change their orders if their end of line dates are in 2015. For the most part that means 85D people are getting the short end of the stick here since their end of line dates must be in 2015 since they weren't going to deliver those vehicles till February, 2015. Obviously the 60D people are also impacted but the end of line date doesn't really matter since they intend to never make 60D vehicles.

Love the brown what a shame

Brown-Grey-Model-S-Supercharger-1024x682.jpg

It was a mistake (IMO) on Tesla's part to not allow MS60D orders. This is a vehicle that could actually do well in many northern climates and cities like in the USA. Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, Penn., MD and so on - all have winters, all have relatively shortened commutes versus California and add more superchargers in the area, the MS60D option could do quite well. Also, those areas have many of the country's wealthy individuals. I suppose the choice of saying "just order an MS85D" because the difference is only $8K and you get additional range.

It was a mistake (IMO) on Tesla's part to not allow MS60D orders. This is a vehicle that could actually do well in many northern climates and cities like in the USA. Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, Penn., MD and so on - all have winters, all have relatively shortened commutes versus California and add more superchargers in the area, the MS60D option could do quite well. Also, those areas have many of the country's wealthy individuals. I suppose the choice of saying "just order an MS85D" because the difference is only $8K and you get additional range.
That may be true in the future, but not now. AT the present time, Tesla is constrained by supply and production, so it is a seller's market. Five years from now, that will probably be different. Who know, maybe they'll reintroduce the 60D when cars are selling slower than production.

It seems that Tesla are making a huge push to get their numbers up as high as possible even if it means losing a few customers for now they have enough customers to focus in the smaller set of options that they should be able to really ramp things up. Almost seems a bit desparate given they are apparently even refusing existing orders for discontinued options (according to another thread).

I think the performance gap between 85D and P85D is too big, and I hope there will be a model in the future with the performance of the P85.

The need for the high performance P85D is perhaps due to the forthcoming more family oriented Model X and lower-priced but still fun Model 3. You need the S to continue to stand-out or risk overshadow by the lower priced car and hurt revenue income.

Love the brown too. I eventually went with grey but I had a tough time not choosing brown. In fact, the only reason I didn't was, "hmm, wonder if that's a less popular color if I ever decide to sell..."

It's the same reason I got most options along with the P85D, I judged that if people can buy it, they'll probably want a maxxed out car too.