Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.0 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, Lennier. So does that mean its simply the "handbrake" mechanism, activated automagically? Can't see that causing any trouble past 10 minutes...?

I think the hold function is working off the brakes, not the park brake. You can hear the park brake activate when it does and you don't hear this when the hold kicks in. Plus the reaction time of the park brake would be too slow when taking off.

It's magic; it just works. Press the brake til the ((H)) shows then the car stays there til you press brake or accelerator.

the new car hold is great, one of the better new features in v7.

Bah, humbug. It doesn't work for me. Hill hold works the same with the nice addition of the ((H)) but not at other times.

Rebooting the display didn't fix it (although it did fix a music glitch I was having), and I've just rebooted the instrument cluster so will see if that makes a difference.

If not, maybe you need to have creep OFF for HOLD to work...?

I don't think so, the manual mentions that creep will be temporarily disabled when vehicle hold is in effect, which suggests that it should work when creep is on.

My experience is that you need to press the brake harder to activate vehicle hold if you're on a steep incline, whereas a light press is sufficient on flat ground.

Bah, humbug. It doesn't work for me. Hill hold works the same with the nice addition of the ((H)) but not at other times.

Rebooting the display didn't fix it (although it did fix a music glitch I was having), and I've just rebooted the instrument cluster so will see if that makes a difference.

Creep can stay on. You have to press the brake pedal a fair way down.

Question: How does the car know if your hands are on the wheel? What kind of sensors are in the wheel? I see no metalic pulse sensors like in a running machine. It's not a weight thing detectable by the shaft because hands touching the bottom of the wheel seems to suffice - I think...

A gel pack under the leather perhaps? Don't feel it myself.

Melbourne to Geelong and back today on autopilot, first real use of it and it performed pretty flawlessly. One point where it for some reason drifted across (or on to) the left line very slightly but before I could catch it to correct it had done so itself. Never had to take control back aside from roadworks where a lane merge had too much traffic to do an auto lane change out of the blocked lane. Impressive for the first iteration!

I just travelled Brisbane to Gold Coast and back and had the AP totally loose it (not in a directional sense); with no prior warning on the drivers screen, the main screen (accompanied by much beeping) told me to take over immediately. This was on a clear multi-lane road. As soon as I took over, I was able to re-start the AP happily.

Also, in other news, following my representation, HQ is now actively looking at Homelink for us. I have this from two reliable sources.

A few weeks ago I had a loaner car for a day from Richmond. A debadged fully-loaded Sig-Red P85+. Along the top of the screen was an icon I hadn't seen before - a little house. I pressed it out of curiosity and up came a Homelink screen! It seemed to be set up to control the service centre door (maybe). I tried to configure it with my garage door remote but it wouldn't recognise it.

Make of this what you will.

Castlemaine to Melb & Back yesterday Autopilot worked perfectly, Tomorrow Castlemaine to Bright and back on Monday. 22000 Km and still a awesome experience.

Davide...where are you going to recharge on the Bright trip. Wodonga, or some other spot. The resort near there is closed for the season, although they have two destination chargers.

we are going from Sydney to Bairnsdale tomorrow. We can recharge in Wodonga and make it there, but had a bit of an issue to recharge in Bairnsdale before heading to
Melbourne. We found a electrical supply shop who will lend us his 3 phase power for three hours which should work for us

good travels

Some rambling observations on Autopilot thus far:

1. It re-invigorates your interest in the Tesla. Amazing that one night the car cannot drive itself. The next morning it can. A list of new and significant features to muck around with. And another thing to show off when you show someone your Tesla.

2. It is exciting and makes you want to try it out. After a while you realise that when they say it can't work on city roads, they mean it. But that was really because we were imagining city roads as highways and then yearn to go on that long family holiday where we can really let it rip.

3. Whereas before we were only mildly curious about driverless cars - we now want our Tesla to be one tonight. All of a sudden, intersections, stop signs, red lights, roundabouts, roads with no lanes marked - are now just programming challenges. Like a developing Siri.

4. When in autopilot - it reduces road rage and keeps you to the speed limit. Since it is so fun watching the car steer itself, you don't really care about yonder numbskull who pulls in front of you - as long as they are sensed by the radar and the car responds appropriately. And I find that whenever I take over (nominally to make it safer), I always seem to step on it and overtake the cars that are surrounding me, for no real reason other than the fact that I can. Not sure that is safer though. One's car always seems to be travelling faster when one is not actually driving it. I have noticed that in insane mode, the woosh is felt more by the passengers than the driver. Perhaps it is like trying to tickle yourself. Can't do it.

5. Can't wait for 7.1 when the centre dash gets a make-over. But also improved autopilot. When you are at the peak of amazement, every small step beyond seems like a giant step forward. Since size is only relative, it has no real meaning when there is nothing to compare it with. Like saying the Universe is a really big place. Elon Musk might equally say, "what a cozy little Universe". We'll be at Mars next. Not sure that the Mars Rover has 7.0 though - no lane markings there yet. Probably need some drone pilots on earth to instigate the occasional course correction.

6. I found, sadly only after a while, that when you are in nav mode, it really pays to actually pay attention to all the nav hints shown in the dashboard. It not only has a map (which was once my only concern), but it has other hints such as when and which street to turn into (with decreasing length in metres) and which lane to be in, and also 'now' really means 'now' as in, not 'the next one maybe'.

7. Still skeptical about how much Tesla can really learn from other Tesla drivers. With so much data from a single car, can't imagine the 3G network being able to send it all, let alone Tesla paying for it. But I am not a programmer, what do I know? But it does make me laugh how Google spends a fortune sending Google cars all over the world to map out the roads when Tesla can get their customers to do it even unwillingly. Suck on that Google!

8. Upset somewhat that the summoning of the car feature is not implemented - though I had always said that I would believe that when I see it. But the really sad thing is that it seems Tesla is going soft on plugging that feature now. Once upon a time, it was all the rage. In and out of the garage with an electric snake to bite it's bum as well.

and that's just for starters...