Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.0 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The actual *contents* show the autopilot system operating correctly within its designed parameters in both videos and illustrate well what happens when the design parameters are exceeded in ways that Tesla didn't anticipate.
I agree, but it shows "people blatantly misusing the system and claiming it almost killed them"

It's like the author in this Jalopnik article says

What a bunch of click-baiting trolls. These aren’t car people. These videos clearly weren’t intended to educate anyone about Tesla’s implementation—just one of several to be released in the near future. These people deliberately sought Autopilot’s limitations, found them, and called each shutoff threshold a defect.

"and called each shutoff threshold a defect."

We agree apart from semantics. :smile:

One thing is for sure: Now that I've finally got v7, I'm NOT allowing any more software updates to install until WELL after the autopilot revision changes are documented.

Since I only use the features where I feel they are safe after careful testing ( = on divided freeways/highways) it is possible that any restrictions will not affect me... but I'd rather not have any additional restrictions at all.

Most on this thread are sensible and learn't quickly the limitations, and likely didn't do absolute stupidity to find those limitations. It is however obvious that complaints about autopilot trying to kill, and indeed the autopilot stupidity, all seem to come out of the US. Fairly obvious the system needs to restrict americans!

Now talking about the dash...

I always put music on the left and am happy for that to change to directions when the nav system is on. (p.s. Don't you just love how you can cancel a trip with a simple touch of one button?!)

I always have the trip display on the right and think the 7.0 upgrade to that display is well thought-out.

But I just don't get the other displays... I mean:
Energy... Are you serious? Ok I grant you it looks really nice. But you would have to either be a hypermiling freak or suffer extreme range axiety or both to want this screen constantly in your face....

Tyre pressure: ok, give me a warning when I am losing air pressure....but do I want to stare at that? Anyone driving over a bed of nails? Just don't get it...

Clock: ok i do get that, for people who have the old analog pattern recognition ingrained in their brains.... Maybe they are pressed for time sometimes and need a clock in front of them. Personally I am a digital clock guy myself and just don't use this screen

At least with music you see a pretty pucture, how much is downloaded and how much to go. But at the very least it should have a coming up next display and the ability to go back and re-play a song that you actually like....doh...

I can't believe Australia doesn't have internet surfing active.... Major major flaw in our road rules... Can't touch an unconnected phone unless you are handing it to the passenger... Even at red lights. But a CB radio, iPad, iPod and newspaper are all ok... Go figure... Where is the best place to attach a 3g iPad to the Tesla so the driver can get a weather report or check some flight info?

Now talking about the dash...

I always put music on the left and am happy for that to change to directions when the nav system is on. (p.s. Don't you just love how you can cancel a trip with a simple touch of one button?!)

I always have the trip display on the right and think the 7.0 upgrade to that display is well thought-out.

But I just don't get the other displays... I mean:
Energy... Are you serious? Ok I grant you it looks really nice. But you would have to either be a hypermiling freak or suffer extreme range axiety or both to want this screen constantly in your face....

Tyre pressure: ok, give me a warning when I am losing air pressure....but do I want to stare at that? Anyone driving over a bed of nails? Just don't get it...

Clock: ok i do get that, for people who have the old analog pattern recognition ingrained in their brains.... Maybe they are pressed for time sometimes and need a clock in front of them. Personally I am a digital clock guy myself and just don't use this screen

At least with music you see a pretty pucture, how much is downloaded and how much to go. But at the very least it should have a coming up next display and the ability to go back and re-play a song that you actually like....doh...

I can't believe Australia doesn't have internet surfing active.... Major major flaw in our road rules... Can't touch an unconnected phone unless you are handing it to the passenger... Even at red lights. But a CB radio, iPad, iPod and newspaper are all ok... Go figure... Where is the best place to attach a 3g iPad to the Tesla so the driver can get a weather report or check some flight info?
The energy display is useful in long range driving; "how's the average going". For trips like Brisbane to Sydney.

Particularly with the hail storms of late; the browser or even a dedicated rain radar app please.

If that's the original one at least he was supposedly on a private road (although the disclaimer did look at lot like it was added afterwards to deflect the attacks). The recent one from some complete f&*^*&wit in the Netherlands has him in the passenger seat going 80kmh on a public highway surrounded by other vehicles. The level of idiocy required for this is beyond belief.

Has anyone considered activating autopilot just for a few seconds in order for you to take your eyes off the road to select the song you want from the touchscreen?

I confess I have done this but I was on a freeway. Made me less nervous selecting the song at a fast speed. But assuming the lane markings are good in city traffic, could help in that situation too...prevent rear-ending, lane-wandering...and most importantly, prevent choosing the wrong song!

Whatdoyouthink??

Has anyone considered activating autopilot just for a few seconds in order for you to take your eyes off the road to select the song you want from the touchscreen?

I confess I have done this but I was on a freeway. Made me less nervous selecting the song at a fast speed. But assuming the lane markings are good in city traffic, could help in that situation too...prevent rear-ending, lane-wandering...and most importantly, prevent choosing the wrong song!

Whatdoyouthink??
Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny..
But you are right- I think the "TACC" equivalent in my AMG is excellent, as I feel it decreases the chance of me rear-ending someone, so I use it all the time in the ED and Harbour Tunnel. And I have changed songs etc with it on, just never turned it on ESPECIALLY for that reason.
I guess we need to be able to stay alert while it's on, but I do agree your scenario sounds safer with Autopilot than without! Maybe that will become normal behaviour soon, as the car is as good as or better than me??