Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.5 years from now or 120,000 miles my battery is out of warranty and is dead or serious degraded..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be unfounded paranoia. However that isn't what is happening here though. It isn't assuming the need, it is assuming there is a risk of a need.

To claiming otherwise is another way a stated that the battery failure rate is going to be zero. We know with the Model S & X that isn't true. I'd be quite surprised if there hasn't already been a Model 3 [infant death] failure.
Like most electronic parts, failure is usually early or never. Which is why 8 year warranty is good protection and infant mortality 3 batteries (if any) are not worrisome. You have much higher probability of totaling your car in accident than the tiny risk of post warranty battery failure.

If some people want to fret about very low probability risk that’s Their decision. I just don’t like to see those who come to this forum to learn or make buying decisions put off by paranoia.

Random thoughts:
  • 3rd parties usually show up to fill this type of gap on such a popular car.... But Tesla has unique chemistry and the cheapest manufacturing plant on the planet for doing this so 3rd party options seem unclear
  • Tesla has often replaced out of warranty packs in the past, but their model 3 volume and profitability expectations might change this behavior
  • Price of batteries should go down over time
  • This long-term question about beyond warranty battery costs is a great question to try and get Elon to answer on Twitter
  • This isn't a likely scenario, but it's still a fair question to ask
  • I'd love Tesla to commit to either replacement under warranty OR a maximum replacement cost of $5K for battery packs (which might need to be subsidized to ensure confidence for palatable future repair costs)

Reactions: outdoors
Way back when, Tesla did plan on offering replacement batteries: 2013 Model S Price Increase

We have received many requests for a Battery Replacement Option. We are happy to now offer this option for all three battery variants. This option will provide you a new battery anytime after the end of the eighth year at a fixed price. Prices are as follows: $8,000 for the 40 kWh battery, $10,000 for the 60 kWh battery, and $12,000 for the 85 kWh battery. You will be able to purchase this additional option through your MyTesla page in the near future.

Discussion at the time: Official: Replacement Battery Option

There are scenarios where it would make more sense to pay for a replacement battery rather than have to buy a new car

Here in BC for example, the government has a nice little scam running where every time a car is sold (even privately), they tax it. Depending on how many times a car is sold, this could net them tens of thousands of dollars - plus on new cars, we have the ‘Luxury Tax’ on vehicles over a certain value

Therefore here at least, it makes more sense to keep a car you like on the road - and I believe that if I went to Tesla with a wad of cash, they would definitely fit a new battery for me. I would expect some sort of NDA to prevent it being plastered all over the forums, and I’d be fine with that

So - it should be possible and it may already have happened, but don’t sweat it

I researched this potential cost about two years ago before buying my first 2012 S85, as I considered my worst case cost for items as the warranty would expire. I found an article (sorry, can’t find it now) that Tesla would offer the 85 kWh battery for $12k with a core exchange (trading in your old battery pack). This pricing and policy may no longer be valid or relevant since it was two years ago. But that was what I found then.

I researched this potential cost about two years ago before buying my first 2012 S85, as I considered my worst case cost for items as the warranty would expire. I found an article (sorry, can’t find it now) that Tesla would offer the 85 kWh battery for $12k with a core exchange (trading in your old battery pack). This pricing and policy may no longer be valid or relevant since it was two years ago. But that was what I found then.
I just posted links about the previous upgrade pricing two posts above your post.