Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding all the people getting happy with 4.0 times on the Power Tools app. Remember the app only polls every .25 seconds so what ever run time it gives you is only accurate +/- .25 seconds. so 4.0 runs can actually be 4.25 runs in reality. You will need a more accurate tool such as VBox to get true times.
I know, I was kind of shocked at that low polling rate (after I bought the $10 app!). I've had times range from 5.0 to 5.8 on my still corked S75D. The power output is useful though.
I've found a very accurate way to measure it just to video the speedometer while doing a run, then measure the run time on a computer later.

It's a moot point since I only have the 48A charger in my MS75D and don't intend on upgrading it. BTW, its jerks like you that make this such a hostile place to visit.

How in the world is he a jerk? He was explaining why they use those numbers. And he is 100% accurate. This is not a "some people use this" number, this is a nation wide standard. It is a risk to use more than 80% and he was just warning you. Was he a bit of a smart ass with the insurance comment? Yes but it's also very true. Take the constructive criticism and stop being so butt hurt. This would of been my response if I was you:

"Oh crap didn't know that... well then luckily I didn't burn down that house, wife woulda been pissed... lol."

That easy. Just saying. lol

Reactions: teasla
I know, I was kind of shocked at that low polling rate (after I bought the $10 app!). I've had times range from 5.0 to 5.8 on my still corked S75D. The power output is useful though.
I've found a very accurate way to measure it just to video the speedometer while doing a run, then measure the run time on a computer later.

I have actually considered doing just that. Takes a bit more time and effort but its about as accurate as you are going to get for Free99.

How in the world is he a jerk? He was explaining why they use those numbers. And he is 100% accurate. This is not a "some people use this" number, this is a nation wide standard. It is a risk to use more than 80% and he was just warning you. Was he a bit of a smart ass with the insurance comment? Yes but it's also very true. Take the constructive criticism and stop being so butt hurt. This would of been my response if I was you:

"Oh crap didn't know that... well then luckily I didn't burn down that house, wife woulda been pissed... lol."

That easy. Just saying. lol

Because if he wanted to be nice and helpful like @FlatSix911, he could have imparted his information nicely and been done with it. Instead he needed to be a smart aleck and add a quip about my house burning down, which I don't appreciate. No house on this earth is going to burn down by pulling 64A through a 70A breaker using 75A rated wire.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
So I finally got the car uncorked!!! Ranger had to come out since it didn't take on Saturday. They called me this morning saying they were monitoring my car and realized that it didn't take so wanted to send someone out. Took the guy some time and a few tries but it finally took. Definitely noticeable! Holy crud she is fast. Also got some info from him:

• There are actually two settings that need to be changed: Performance Configuration needs to be set to P1 and a second option set to uncorked instead of standard (cant remember what its called but its the same setting used for Ludicrous)
  • 60D can get the uncorking but they are not letting them as its a feature they only want to offer to 75D customers.
  • Apparently they can even enable Ludicrous mode on a non P car but it will throw error codes and go in to limp mode. (I asked since I saw the option available for my car when he was uncorking)
  • Engineers have been looking at this for some time planning it out seeing if it was possible to do safely with minimal wear.
  • Reason they want a hardwire connection instead of over the air update is because between the steps it disables safety features for what ever reason and doesn't always take the first time so they don't want people driving around with said safety features disabled due to an error in the uncorking, this way they can address it in shop.
  • Saw the service bulletin, he said you can pay $30 or so bucks for access all of their manuals and bulletins for an hour at https://service.teslamotors.com which gives you all the details
  • Apparently they are constantly discussing possible improvements and updates such as uncorking.
  • Service centers have access to all the engineer notes and details on how they came to this decision and all that jazz it just takes time to read through it all and not everyone wants to take the time to read all that stuff.
  • Their WAVE system or what ever it's called is set up with geo fences for each Tesla so when you drive up it gives them all of your info so they can best address you.
  • They still haven't fully figured out how they will support the M3 influx of demands at the service centers but they will still provide a certain level of white glove service. (Might be diminished but still better than any other dealership)
  • Initially they will just throw parts at any problem when they become swamped with M3 workload because it will be faster than trying to find the exact problem or see if its fixable. (Motor problems, have a new motor! Battery problems? Have a new battery!) lol
  • No info on 8.2 or 3rd party apps or anything on that front.
  • Complain enough and you will get anything for free (He straight up told me to complain about everything... lol) They will do everything possible for a happy customer
  • Techs will sometimes provide feedback on the Forums but not too much because people like me will ask them a trillion questions and will get overwhelmed quickly.
  • Got to see the diagnostics screen on the Tesla and there is quite a bit of info sadly I couldn't go fishing around the menu options but it has a lot of info even a date of birth lol. Down to the second.

That is all I can remember right now, there might of been more. Let me know if y'all have any questions.

So it seems from looking at the tracker every single 75D car made mid May 2016 in the USA and onward is uncorkable. So if you get told otherwise they are most probably wrong, try again elsewhere. Also safe to say if you are a 60D or 70D after May 2016 in the USA, unlocking to 75D will make you uncorkable with 99% certainty.

Does everyone concur?

So I finally got the car uncorked!!! Ranger had to come out since it didn't take on Saturday. They called me this morning saying they were monitoring my car and realized that it didn't take so wanted to send someone out. Took the guy some time and a few tries but it finally took. Definitely noticeable! Holy crud she is fast. Also got some info from him:

• There are actually two settings that need to be changed: Performance Configuration needs to be set to P1 and a second option set to uncorked instead of standard (cant remember what its called but its the same setting used for Ludicrous)
  • 60D can get the uncorking but they are not letting them as its a feature they only want to offer to 75D customers.
  • Apparently they can even enable Ludicrous mode on a non P car but it will throw error codes and go in to limp mode. (I asked since I saw the option available for my car when he was uncorking)
  • Engineers have been looking at this for some time planning it out seeing if it was possible to do safely with minimal wear.
  • Reason they want a hardwire connection instead of over the air update is because between the steps it disables safety features for what ever reason and doesn't always take the first time so they don't want people driving around with said safety features disabled due to an error in the uncorking, this way they can address it in shop.
  • Saw the service bulletin, he said you can pay $30 or so bucks for access all of their manuals and bulletins for an hour at https://service.teslamotors.com which gives you all the details
  • Apparently they are constantly discussing possible improvements and updates such as uncorking.
  • Service centers have access to all the engineer notes and details on how they came to this decision and all that jazz it just takes time to read through it all and not everyone wants to take the time to read all that stuff.
  • Their WAVE system or what ever it's called is set up with geo fences for each Tesla so when you drive up it gives them all of your info so they can best address you.
  • They still haven't fully figured out how they will support the M3 influx of demands at the service centers but they will still provide a certain level of white glove service. (Might be diminished but still better than any other dealership)
  • Initially they will just throw parts at any problem when they become swamped with M3 workload because it will be faster than trying to find the exact problem or see if its fixable. (Motor problems, have a new motor! Battery problems? Have a new battery!) lol
  • Complain enough and you will get anything for free (He straight up told me to complain about everything... lol) They will do everything possible for a happy customer
  • Techs will sometimes provide feedback on the Forums but not too much because people like me will ask them a trillion questions and will get overwhelmed quickly.
  • Got to see the diagnostics screen on the Tesla and there is quite a bit of info sadly I couldn't go fishing around the menu options but it has a lot of info even a date of birth lol. Down to the second.

That is all I can remember right now, there might of been more. Let me know if y'all have any questions.

I'm interested to know how long the uncorking procedure took. I've read here there are multiple downloads, reboots, etc.

Service manual subscription is only available in Massachusetts.

Regarding all the people getting happy with 4.0 times on the Power Tools app. Remember the app only polls every .25 seconds so what ever run time it gives you is only accurate +/- .25 seconds. so 4.0 runs can actually be 4.25 runs in reality. You will need a more accurate tool such as VBox to get true times.

Agreed. VBox would be best. I had to throw out some runs because timing began at a MPH greater than 0. It was good to compare performance pre/post uncork. This satisfied my concerns that the potential adoption of the 1' roll out to non "P" cars would yield less than 1 sec.

so 60d is uncorkable they just want to get the 2k from cheap bastards like us 1st..lol...too bad...Maybe in the future they will offer it or cut the price to 1k eventually...who knows....seesm like we are one of only a dozen left who have not unlocked the battery to 75 yet...

What was tone about 60D cars? Any hope in getting it without upgrading?

It is strange that there is a decent sized range on the kW output of the uncorked cars. Maybe associated with charge level? Were you at or near 100%?
I was at about 100%. SoC Kw Max 330. uncorked. 270 ish corked. I see some here at 354kW! How can that happen with the same battery and close SoC.?

I am using Dashboard for Tesla and don't know what was used to get the high kW outputs?

What was tone about 60D cars? Any hope in getting it without upgrading?
tone is likely give us 2k and then we will do it....its like ebay sometimes..I wonder why people jump in and bid it way up so its not a fantastic deal anymore when they cpould just wait for another one in the future to bid and win at a great deal price.But by bidding it up so high all the time sellers all think they should get that much $$$.. If only afew to none responded to the 2k unlocking then tesla woul;d maybe consider even going lower....but since people jumped on it like rats fleeing from a sinking ship tesla now likley wont offer uncorking to 60d owners because they expect them to cough up the 2k 1st like all the others have. Why do you think they lowered it from 5k or whatever to 2k???? because noone was buying or adding it on before or after sale...i feel bad for the x owners because at 4500 its even worse of a deal .

• Disagree
Reactions: SucreTease
Based on your current car's configuration, if you upgrade to the 75D you should be eligible for the uncorking. You will be eligible as soon as you pay for the 75D upgrade, but your service center won't be notified.

If your service center asks you how you knew that you should be eligible after upgrading, you can show them this and let them know it's because Engineering said that the "PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER" has to be greater than 3, and yours is a 5 in CarLogs.

Thank you for your time and loyalty to the company!

BOOM

And verified. So no, this is not something that can easily checked by most users, but your local SC can definitely check:
View attachment 257282

Alright, so did a little bit of CAN logging to see if I could find the PT_BMS_iSensorProtocolNumber signal on the powertrain bus.

Looks like it is message ID 532, and the values are static:

Byte Number:
0: PT_BMS_iSensorMajorVersion
1: PT_BMS_iSensorMinorVersion
2: PT_BMS_iSensorProtocolNumber
3: PT_BMS_iSensorReleaseVersion
4-6: PT_BMS_iSensorSerialNumber

Should be possible to read this value from your car using TMSpy or similar CAN logging app and appropriate cable/dongle.

If the above referenced support emails are to be believed, this is the magical component that makes some 75D cars eligible/not eligible for uncorking (a PT_BMS_iSensorProtocolNumber greater than 3 is required for uncorking).

Does anyone know what part this actually is on the car? Perhaps a current sensor somewhere?

So it seems from looking at the tracker every single 75D car made mid May 2016 in the USA and onward is uncorkable. So if you get told otherwise they are most probably wrong, try again elsewhere. Also safe to say if you are a 60D or 70D after May 2016 in the USA, unlocking to 75D will make you uncorkable with 99% certainty.

Does everyone concur?
I know for sure my brothers 60D-75D was uncorked. It's a Feb 2017 RHD built in Freemont CA I believe, delivered in Australia as 60D and later upgraded.
I'm still waiting for eligibility on my 75D March 2017. Ineligible before and after upgrade to 75 but I will push further with SC

Last edited:
Ranger...got some info from him...
  • Apparently they can even enable Ludicrous mode on a non P car but it will throw error codes and go in to limp mode.
...Let me know if y'all have any questions.
Articulate note taking. Nicely done. A couple of questions...
  • Could it have been PerformanceAddOn?
    0 = Standard
    1 = Ludicrous
    2 = Derated
    3 = Uncorked
  • If you see your ranger friend could you ask for details about the errors that enabling Ludicrous throws for a S75D? Whether they are battery related, motor related or something else? Thermal limits maybe? Whether the errors are thrown just after it is enabled or only when the components performance limits are reached? I am especially interested in what errors would happen on an S75D 400v 1500A BTX8 battery. If only the European rangers were so talkative. Or what would happen on an uncorked non-P S100D set to ludicrous.
  • Curious if anyone has read the engineering notes on uncorking.
Thanks for posting

Last edited: