Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why doesn't someone get onto (is it Fred) at Electrek.co. He clearly has a direct line to Tesla, he could clear this up straight away. Me thinks we are about to get a big Model S update at the end of the quarter, new interior, high performance (inline with the CPO specs), some X features like auto present doors.

And by clearing this up, I mean the specs on the CPOs in Europe. They've been up for a long time now, for them to be a mistake.

I think the performance upgrade on pre July '17 cars has been cleared up many times, with service departments not able or willing to upgrade older 75Ds, but people aren't willing to accept it. While it would be a show of good faith the early adopters to upgrade older 75Ds to 4.3seconds, Tesla is also a business, and that would remove a substantial incentive for customers to upgrade if you gave it away for free.
If you're implying on upgrading the entire car (pre July 17) based on 1 sec performance update, I don't see too many people going that route

If you're implying on upgrading the entire car (pre July 17) based on 1 sec performance update, I don't see too many people going that route
Why not? There were people upgrading their few months old AP1 when AP2 came out. The 1 sec upgrade was much more substantial than AP2 features (none) at the time. Now there's even AP2.5 to go with updated performance.

Reactions: mp0i
No, I'm implying that the performance increase will be one of many reasons to upgrade at some point. When the Model 3 is widely available with the same space and performance as a Model S for half the price, people will look at either swapping to a 3 or upgrading to a superior S.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zero CO2
Im in the same boat...1.5days short of the upgrade...love the car....but.....i need more speed BLASTAR! Surely there is something that can be done to cut even a .5sec off the quarter mile or 0-60. ....aside of a hardware upgrade or new car purchase.
Yea, right? For ICE cars one could add a turbo or get a bigger turbo or tune it etc. to get more power. For EV it's gotta be just a software code!

Exactly. I'm seriously thinking to trade in my 2017 X with 7500 miles that I picked up in March for a newer X because of that 1s and 100kW differences.
I just think the financial hit would be too great. I may have to drive mine a few years and then make the jump? Ahh.....if only i waited a few days.

I dont even need the full second. Give me a .5sec bump. Im sure the engineers have that built in to prevent failures.

Elon would please alot of people. (Or he could just give it to his fellow Queens alumi!)

I just think the financial hit would be too great. I may have to drive mine a few years and then make the jump? Ahh.....if only i waited a few days.

I dont even need the full second. Give me a .5sec bump. Im sure the engineers have that built in to prevent failures.

Elon would please alot of people. (Or he could just give it to his fellow Queens alumi!)

I completely agree with you that financially it's not making any sense and that's why I'm still "thinking " instead of doing it. However, a jump from 6s to 4.9s is huge. I'd give up autopilot for that 1s without a doubt.

I am sure Elon can please a lot of current owners by releasing the software to all Teslas with a charge or no. At least that shows Tesla still cares about its existing owners by providing an upgrade path on the performance dept. If this is not happening, instead of getting another Tesla in the family, I probably will trade in my X for a newer one and I'm done with Tesla.

I completely agree with you that financially it's not making any sense and that's why I'm still "thinking " instead of doing it. However, a jump from 6s to 4.9s is huge. I'd give up autopilot for that 1s without a doubt.

I am sure Elon can please a lot of current owners by releasing the software to all Teslas with a charge or no. At least that shows Tesla still cares about its existing owners by providing an upgrade path on the performance dept. If this is not happening, instead of getting another Tesla in the family, I probably will trade in my X for a newer one and I'm done with Tesla.
I agree that the 1.1 second decrease to 60 is indeed a huge performance boost. I look back to my past ICE cars and think about how hard/expensive it was to shave a few tenths in the quarter mile haha.

Elon could surely release a measly .5sec 0-60 without compromising profits or any warranty claims. And he would make many devout buyers very very happy. Many of us would be willing to pay for it like we would with an ICE. I just dont know if im willing to take the immediate 10-15G depreciation hit within the first two months of ownership. Then there is also the hassles of another buying experience. The depreciation hit would probably be similar if i just wait the full year. My thougths.....

I agree that the 1.1 second decrease to 60 is indeed a huge performance boost. I look back to my past ICE cars and think about how hard/expensive it was to shave a few tenths in the quarter mile haha.

Elon could surely release a measly .5sec 0-60 without compromising profits or any warranty claims. And he would make many devout buyers very very happy. Many of us would be willing to pay for it like we would with an ICE. I just dont know if im willing to take the immediate 10-15G depreciation hit within the first two months of ownership. Then there is also the hassles of another buying experience. The depreciation hit would probably be similar if i just wait the full year. My thougths.....

The P100D is near the end of diminishing returns for performance from a street legal car. There comes a point where you can't transmit enough energy to street legal tires without breaking friction with the ground and literally spinning your wheels. Traction control can help, but they are now pretty much at the limits of what traction control can do.

There is a YouTube out there where someone went through the math on what the theoretical 0-60 time was for a street legal car. There are very few cars that are quicker than the P100D because they are all at the cutting edge of Physics.

Tesla might eek out another 0.1s or so, but they are close to the limits of what a car can do without modifications that doesn't make it street legal anymore. One of these days somebody will probably make a "top fuel" drag racer that can beat the ICE top fuel cars and set world records doing it, but you won't be able to drive it home afterwards. There are already some home built EV dragsters out there, records will start falling in the next few years.

Tesla is in the business of making cars for the highway, not the drag strip. Remember the mission of the company is to further sustainable transportation.

They were able to make a super car out of the dual motor Model S fairly easily, but most of the parts were already on the shelf. A few software tweaks, a better battery pack fuse, and using the motor from the RWD cars for the rear motor and a nice accelerating car was turned into one of the quickest in the world. If they had to put much work into making a super car out of the standard Model S, they wouldn't have done it.

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but while the laws of humans can be broken, the laws of Physics are absolute.

The P100D is near the end of diminishing returns for performance from a street legal car. There comes a point where you can't transmit enough energy to street legal tires without breaking friction with the ground and literally spinning your wheels. Traction control can help, but they are now pretty much at the limits of what traction control can do.

There is a YouTube out there where someone went through the math on what the theoretical 0-60 time was for a street legal car. There are very few cars that are quicker than the P100D because they are all at the cutting edge of Physics.

Tesla might eek out another 0.1s or so, but they are close to the limits of what a car can do without modifications that doesn't make it street legal anymore. One of these days somebody will probably make a "top fuel" drag racer that can beat the ICE top fuel cars and set world records doing it, but you won't be able to drive it home afterwards. There are already some home built EV dragsters out there, records will start falling in the next few years.

Tesla is in the business of making cars for the highway, not the drag strip. Remember the mission of the company is to further sustainable transportation.

They were able to make a super car out of the dual motor Model S fairly easily, but most of the parts were already on the shelf. A few software tweaks, a better battery pack fuse, and using the motor from the RWD cars for the rear motor and a nice accelerating car was turned into one of the quickest in the world. If they had to put much work into making a super car out of the standard Model S, they wouldn't have done it.

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but while the laws of humans can be broken, the laws of Physics are absolute.
Huh? Who is talking about breaking physics or talking about the ridiculous limits of the p100d?

We are talking about the model s/x 75/75d uncorking issue which brings the 0-60 down a full second. I dont need a supercar.....i only need another .5sec off my 0-60. Hahah

Im sure its obvious that Elon is a speed freak. "Ludicrous etc etx". And yes we need range....the advancements are seen year to year. Thank god Elon is running the show.....or the "limits" would never have been pushed.

I believe shaving a .5 sec off the 0-60times with a software update (as opposed to HW/SW) should not be an issue. Charge me for it but im sure Tesla can make it available....and make some $......they will still have buyers for the full second 75s...

Why not? There were people upgrading their few months old AP1 when AP2 came out. The 1 sec upgrade was much more substantial than AP2 features (none) at the time. Now there's even AP2.5 to go with updated performance.
Because you lose about 20% or more of your car's value if you turn around and sell the car. Money down the drain for 1 sec upgrade. The autopilot 2.5 can be retrofitted in the new Teslas if needed.

Reactions: Bebop
No, I'm implying that the performance increase will be one of many reasons to upgrade at some point. When the Model 3 is widely available with the same space and performance as a Model S for half the price, people will look at either swapping to a 3 or upgrading to a superior S.
And then what about in a couple of years when the competition has encouraged Tesla to innovate even more beyond the current model 3 and S. I currently have a model S built June 14, just missed all the updates by 1 day. I'm not buying another Tesla until I see what the EV field will look like in the next few years. There will be other car manufactures to choose from and they will in-turn spur Tesla to be more innovative than it already is. Faster charging, longer range, consumer friendly price point. EV's will be very close if not as close as gas powered cars in range and fill up/charge times. Plus there will be new 0-60 performances, new interiors, better UI's, etc. No point on playing the upgrade game every year and wasting money, when you can just wait until the next revolutionary innovation and then sale or trade up. Just my opinion though :)

Reactions: outie and Bebop
And then what about in a couple of years when the competition has encouraged Tesla to innovate even more beyond the current model 3 and S. I currently have a model S built June 14, just missed all the updates by 1 day. I'm not buying another Tesla until I see what the EV field will look like in the next few years. There will be other car manufactures to choose from and they will in-turn spur Tesla to be more innovative than it already is. Faster charging, longer range, consumer friendly price point. EV's will be very close if not as close as gas powered cars in range and fill up/charge times. Plus there will be new 0-60 performances, new interiors, better UI's, etc. No point on playing the upgrade game every year and wasting money, when you can just wait until the next revolutionary innovation and then sale or trade up. Just my opinion though :)
Yea, say if Porsche got that mission E out in a few years I don't see myself getting another Tesla. Right now they are the only player in the field but hopefully things will change with more choices/competitions in a few years when it's time to upgrade. Currently Tesla has not offered anything that would keep me as a customer. Please don't mention the software updates that continues to bring improvements - I'd be glad if they don't introduce 10 more bugs for every 1 thing they fix / add. The USB player is still as shitty as it was from a year ago. My car still locks itself inside my garage. I just wish they could fix some of these usability features.

Because you lose about 20% or more of your car's value if you turn around and sell the car. Money down the drain for 1 sec upgrade. The autopilot 2.5 can be retrofitted in the new Teslas if needed.
People did it for AP2 that didn't work at all last year. They didn't say everyone with AP2 will get AP2.5 retrofit, only if it can't bring FSD which they stated is highly unlikely.

Huh? Who is talking about breaking physics or talking about the ridiculous limits of the p100d?

We are talking about the model s/x 75/75d uncorking issue which brings the 0-60 down a full second. I dont need a supercar.....i only need another .5sec off my 0-60. Hahah

Im sure its obvious that Elon is a speed freak. "Ludicrous etc etx". And yes we need range....the advancements are seen year to year. Thank god Elon is running the show.....or the "limits" would never have been pushed.

I believe shaving a .5 sec off the 0-60times with a software update (as opposed to HW/SW) should not be an issue. Charge me for it but im sure Tesla can make it available....and make some $......they will still have buyers for the full second 75s...

Sorry, I misread. I thought you were talking about 0.5s 0-60, not about a 0.5s improvement.

I have a video that might prove I have the performance update. While it's not 100% accurate, but I was at 60mph way before the 5s mark. At 5s, I was at 68 (when I decelerated). Production Date: April 2017. VIN in the 194XXX

Here is the link:
What does your power meter go up to? Couldn't see the scale from the video. I thought I had heard the upgraded cars show the higher level on the meter.