Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am taking delivery of my inventory S 75 today, and will let everyone know if I have the 'updated' performance. That was one of the criteria when I did my inventory order, but now i'm confused. My VIN is in the 210xxx range.

Unsure of exact build date, but i'll ask for sure. Would they let me drive before I sign the papers?

Took delivery of my car.

Model S 75 RWD
SN: 210xxx
Build date: July 24th 2017
Drive unit: DU01
Battery: BTX5 (75 kwh)
SW at delivery: 2017.32 9ea02cb
Butt dyno 0-60 time (well under 5 seconds)

I'm 100% sure I have the new uncorked car. The delivery guy confirmed it, but didn't provide any documentation or anything else, so I had to take his word and my butt dyno.

I had been previously driving an X P90D loaner, and my car feels just as quick off the line.

Very happy. Delivery was meh, but overall car is good.

Reactions: MacGreiner
I asked Tesla for the production date on that car and they said "mid April, 2017"

Here's the car:

Model S 75D 5YJSA1E23HF192355 | Tesla

And the options:
Tesla Model S Options Decoder

Can you elaborate on this? After looking at the options decoder I can't seem to see anything that stands out indicating if it had an upgrade.

Does it have to do with this?
"BR00 No firmware limit"
Or
"PF00 No Performance Legacy Package"
Or
"X025 No Performance Package"
Or
"PX00 No Performance Plus Package"

Took delivery of my car.

Model S 75 RWD
SN: 210xxx
Build date: July 24th 2017
Drive unit: DU01
Battery: BTX5 (75 kwh)
SW at delivery: 2017.32 9ea02cb
Butt dyno 0-60 time (well under 5 seconds)

I'm 100% sure I have the new uncorked car. The delivery guy confirmed it, but didn't provide any documentation or anything else, so I had to take his word and my butt dyno.

I had been previously driving an X P90D loaner, and my car feels just as quick off the line.

Very happy. Delivery was meh, but overall car is good.

Can You download a free app on the iPhone or Android that tests the 0-60 times and see what you get? I have an android so I can't use this fancy Tesla Tools app .
Fastest my phone could record going at a slight downhill grade was 5.0s flat but averaging 5.2 sec overall on my 75D.

This is with a 198xxx and SW 2017.28 c528869

Can you elaborate on this? After looking at the options decoder I can't seem to see anything that stands out indicating if it had an upgrade.

Does it have to do with this?
"BR00 No firmware limit"
Or
"PF00 No Performance Legacy Package"
Or
"X025 No Performance Package"
Or
"PX00 No Performance Plus Package"

I don't think the performance update is reflected in the option codes. I think it's more likely a firmware setting. The question is if it depends, in any way, on a hardware change that was done at some point.

Can You download a free app on the iPhone or Android that tests the 0-60 times and see what you get? I have an android so I can't use this fancy Tesla Tools app .
Fastest my phone could record going at a slight downhill grade was 5.0s flat but averaging 5.2 sec overall on my 75D.

This is with a 198xxx and SW 2017.28 c528869

I'm on Android too, in and in my ice cars, I used Torque Pro with the OBDII adapter. Gotta figure out an alternative for the Tesla.

What's your build date? I was told when I took my car, all cars previous to mid june will not have the perf update.

I'm on Android too, in and in my ice cars, I used Torque Pro with the OBDII adapter. Gotta figure out an alternative for the Tesla.

What's your build date? I was told when I took my car, all cars previous to mid june will not have the perf update.

True.. ish.

Mine was built in May 2017. 198xxx VIN.

But some people have reported the update with lower VINs. There's a lot of mixed information out there. I can only hope and pray.

I also used Torque pro! I don't know what else to use now!

...if it depends, in any way, on a hardware change...
We know that the hardware change is minimal, maybe as little as fuses. It certainly doesn't require the new drive unit, although in the US they had coincidentally only uncorked cars a couple days after the new drive unit, at least that is up until the several pending cases of old inventory uncorking. All of which is a good sign for all the older cars.

Last edited:
We know that the hardware change is minimal, maybe as little as fuses. It certainly doesn't require the new drive unit, although in the US they had coincidentally only uncorked cars a couple days after the new drive unit, at least that is up until the several pending cases of old inventory uncorking. All of which is a good sign for all the older cars.

Can you sustain the bolded statement with a reference? AFAIK, the only thing we have to that end is a statement by wk that the smaller DUs are capable of exceeding their maximum rated power draw. But just because they can do this does not mean that they won't suffer accelerated wear, increased risk of failure, etc. over the long run.

Can you sustain the bolded statement with a reference?
New 0-60 Times caused by new drive unit it seems...

(reposted)
Krash
Aug 9, 2017 Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
It appears that the new drive unit is coincidental to, but not required for the performance upgrade. If user rsan is correct, rsan has the old drive unit (pre DU00) as well as the existing BTX5 350v battery. Living in Australia, rsan's car, VIN199xxx, had a production date of 22 May and was delivered the week of 17 July. Rsan confirmed the performance upgrade before taking delivery. And rsan timed the car's 0-60\0-100 times at 4.25 and 4.4 seconds respectively.

It is still possible that rsan's car is slower than new "uncorked" DU00 models. But it is clearly faster than cars produced weeks later with DU00 that have not been "uncorked".
(end of repost)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: apacheguy and Swift
The strange thing is that my friend has VIN 195xxx S75D, delivery 29. June -17 and have no performance upgrade. But my car 196xxx S75D was scheduled delivery same day , 29. June -17 , but had some small transportation damages , so the delivery was delayed until 31. July -17.

My car has the performance update , the high capacity charger, but it also has the 85 KW battery

I think I was just lucky , bevause my car has 85 KW battery regards to the performance upgrade. The charger is only SW so that was easy for Tesla.

If my car didn`t have the 85 KW battery , and was delivered late , I wonder what they had to do to give me the performance update, probably then they would had to "unqorked" it.....

Used PowerTools for Tesla for a run 0 - 100 (99) one time for my S75D with 85 KW battery - the time is 4,5 second. I think this is because of the 85 kw / 400V battery , and no upgraded drive unit , but dont know...

MAX power 469 HP..... :)

The time is good though :)
2017-08-19 12.00.05.png

No problem :) I also think that , because this time SOC was under 50% :) But how can I check what DU I have in my car?

We already checked for you here: you don't have it.

One way is to go into the "my Tesla" page with the Chrome browser and right click the picture of your car and save the URL link. And post it here (exclude the RNxxxxxx) or just open it in the Tesla Options Decoder. I think you can also pull the options codes if you install Visible Tesla overview tab, details button. DU00 is the new drive unit. There is no code for the old drive unit. You can also ask Tesla support what your car's production date is. That would help us. I am guessing late May or early June.

Last edited: