Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Average uncorked max power for BTX5 (most US) S75D is 340kW so 456 hp. Corked is 275kW. BTX8 batteries outside the US are 20kW higher.

Average power acceleration is 130kWs2 for uncorked cars. Corked is 75-85kWs2. DU00 are on the higher side.

I guess that power acceleration results from torque in the 560 to 580Nm range for the uncorked cars, but we don't have much direct CAN data to know for sure and the apps don't report torque so we end up interpolating from the known data. If you know anyone with a strong math and classical physics backround I think they could sharpen these estimates considerably.

Last edited:
Tesla is unlocking extra power in older Model S and X 75D vehicles – cutting a second off 0-60 mph acceleration

Earlier this year, Tesla introduced new performance enhancements to Model S and Model X vehicles. The automaker never explained the impressive upgrade, which resulted in about 1-second faster 0 to 60 mph acceleration in almost all vehicle versions, beyond saying that it’s the result of both “software and hardware improvements.”

Now we learn that the company leveraged those improvements and they can implement them through a software update on some older Model S and X 75D vehicles for free. The dual motor Model S and Model X vehicles with a 75 kWh battery pack were the most positively affected by the performance enhancements.The Model S 75D’s 0-60 mph acceleration went down to 4.2 seconds from 5.2 seconds, while Model X’s went from 6.0 seconds down to 4.9 seconds.

All Model S and X 75D vehicles undelivered since July 1st had the update, but Tesla “spent the last few months validating” to see if the same update is possible for a broader range of their 75D fleet, according to an email sent to Tesla’s service staff and some potentially eligible owners verified by Electrek. Interestingly, the update is not over-the-air as Tesla says it is “best managed through a hardwired connection” from Tesla’s Service centers.

The range of eligible vehicles is not exactly clear and Tesla’s service team will have to validate every VIN to see if the vehicles are eligible, but it looks like several Model S and X 75D owners could end up with a significantly quicker car after their next visit to a Tesla service center. Apparently, some vehicles could not be eligible because of hardware differences and therefore, owners better check their VIN with their local service center before getting their hopes up. The update can take up to two hours and it is not mandatory if owners don’t want that extra acceleration for some reason.

Called my service center. She was very helpful.. I explained I have a 198xxx VIN.. and she said I do NOT qualify. She said in the entire state of California only 4 cars are currently flagged for the update.

She said there's even SIGNATURE models that are even eligible which blew me away.

Anyway I can only assume the list she had is old, as she knew exactly what I was talking about and pulled up a list. I mentioned the email posted a few days ago on here, the article by Electrik and this thread saying is very recent as of the last few days. She hasn't had any updates recently.. so maybe it's being rolled out slowly to different service centers.

I want it so baaddd

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Holy crap I have my car at service center for a noise issue and I just got this text!!

"Good news! The 75D performance upgrade has been approved for your Model S! We can get that done today and should have it ready to pick up before we close at 3pm."

I have an April 2017 build 75D. Picked up mid-June. I didn't even ask for it on my last drop off.
Tesla is unlocking extra power in older Model S and X 75D vehicles – cutting a second off 0-60 mph acceleration

Earlier this year, Tesla introduced new performance enhancements to Model S and Model X vehicles. The automaker never explained the impressive upgrade, which resulted in about 1-second faster 0 to 60 mph acceleration in almost all vehicle versions, beyond saying that it’s the result of both “software and hardware improvements.”

Now we learn that the company leveraged those improvements and they can implement them through a software update on some older Model S and X 75D vehicles for free. The dual motor Model S and Model X vehicles with a 75 kWh battery pack were the most positively affected by the performance enhancements.The Model S 75D’s 0-60 mph acceleration went down to 4.2 seconds from 5.2 seconds, while Model X’s went from 6.0 seconds down to 4.9 seconds.

All Model S and X 75D vehicles undelivered since July 1st had the update, but Tesla “spent the last few months validating” to see if the same update is possible for a broader range of their 75D fleet, according to an email sent to Tesla’s service staff and some potentially eligible owners verified by Electrek. Interestingly, the update is not over-the-air as Tesla says it is “best managed through a hardwired connection” from Tesla’s Service centers.

The range of eligible vehicles is not exactly clear and Tesla’s service team will have to validate every VIN to see if the vehicles are eligible, but it looks like several Model S and X 75D owners could end up with a significantly quicker car after their next visit to a Tesla service center. Apparently, some vehicles could not be eligible because of hardware differences and therefore, owners better check their VIN with their local service center before getting their hopes up. The update can take up to two hours and it is not mandatory if owners don’t want that extra acceleration for some reason.
Now I need to find something wrong with my car.... (Is a trunk not closing smoothly a valid excuse? It does a little shimmy where my loaner did not)

I've been fighting for uncork for over a month. After proving all of their statements wrong (had a friend with old VIN get uncorked)
They still said sorry we cannot give it to you. Took delivery 4 days before performance announcement.

Reactions: gabeincal
WE DID IT! Haha

Thanks everyone including Krash for putting together this. I know corporate reads it and hopefully this 87 page thread was enough to convince them to give it to rest of the owners. Job isn't done, there are still quite a bit of vehicles, including 75 RWD's that we need to figure what is going on.
Sheepishly wonders about Sept '15 S70... Moves on as this is a rare car. And does not have the large rear motor.
Still plenty fast!

Last edited:
Interesting to look at the dual motor versions of the Model S with identical 0-60 4.2 sec performance specs all have the same 518hp motor rating.
Makes me think that any dual motor car with the larger rear motor could theoretically be uncorked ... including the 60D, 70D, 75D, 85D, 90D. :cool:

upload_2017-10-21_10-27-14.png

Last edited:
Now I need to find something wrong with my car.... (Is a trunk not closing smoothly a valid excuse? It does a little shimmy where my loaner did not)

I've been fighting for uncork for over a month. After proving all of their statements wrong (had a friend with old VIN get uncorked)
They still said sorry we cannot give it to you. Took delivery 4 days before performance announcement.
I actually just had my car in for mcu green border discoloration and "resolved" trunk latch issue. The trunk wasn't closing fully and wouldn't let me lock the car/use autopilot. I fixed it myself but mentioned it to them. They replaced it anyways. So yea go for it!