Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 price cut and 60 upgrade follows!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just think it's crazy there is no air susp. option for the 75 but the free powerliftgate and glass roof is just sick. I think Tesla will add back the air susp. option but that's just my opinion.

And I think in some ways, it's pretty unfair that Tesla was enticing the "get the 60" while you can and now the 75 is such a deal compared with the old 60. Old 60/75 owners resale value just got destroyed, but it comes with the territory I guess.
No one should have bought a Tesla if he/ she didn't research the fact battery prices are decreasing and capacities increasing at a rapid pace. While I paid the $2000 to upgrade and others paid $6500, $7000 or $9000, I fully expect that buyers who wait a few years will get much more capable Teslas for lower prices than I paid and I knew that going in. As for resale being destroyed, it's only a major issue for customers who need a shiny new car every couple years.

Elon tweet:

upload_2017-4-17_13-27-33.png

Maybe speed upgrade for 75?? I was already happy with the 2k price but this is just icing on the cake.

I think the lifetime supercharging makes up for the loss of the power lift. I just jumped on the upgrade and will get it rebadged to a 75. Amusingly it started off as a 75 but got downgraded to a 60 when I bought it. Back to it's original state.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
I'm still confused by a lot of this. Why is this something you need to jump on immediately. Its TWO THOUSAND dollars for a few miles more in reality? Are you telling me you cannot find a super-charger before that or are going to stretch it to that extra few miles everytime you head out?

I can understand if we can charge to 250+ everytime and get a full 50-60 miles over the 60 EVERY single time. But in reality that hardly seems to be the case. Most 60 owners are charging to 190-200 AFAIK and most 75 owners are not going to charge more than 220. So thats a delta of 20-30 miles MAX and even so the 200+ charging will take so long on the 75, you may not bother going past it.

I can only imagine if someone has a regular 250 odd commute and has home charging to charge 100% overnight, but even so you will be charging to 100% one too many times which is detrimental. So for the few times you MAY end up having to go a few dozen miles more you are paying $2000? Or is it only because it seems like a "DEAL" or Bargain since it was dropped $5000 like a firesale of some sort?

If any of the above is wrong, do let me know, I'm new to all this

Agreed. I just did the math on how many SC stops I'd be able to skip extrapolated over the life of the car it comes out to probably $20-$30 for each stop I skip. It might still be worth it, but it's still $2k I could do something else with. It might be worth it just to never have to stop at Inyokern again though.. that place is creepy.

It may be true in California but I think there many areas of the US where Superchargers are a tough reach for a 60 depending on weather and elevation.

But just getting between two different Superchargers traveling one way isn't the only issue. I know the extra 40 miles will be the difference between frequent roundtrips between Phoenix and Tucson with my just converted to a 75 Model S vs my hybrid. With my 60, a full charge at Casa Grande Supercharger and then traveling to my usual destination in East Tucson and back to the Supercharger in Casa Grande was a challenge even with conservative speeds and AC usage. Fortunately that route doesn't have major elevation or cold weather issues or else I would have been in tough shape, especially since destination chargers in Tucson aren't plentiful or handy for my typical trip. But with that extra 40 miles, my commute should be a breeze, for sure eliminating the need for Casa Grande stops going and returning. Perhaps I may need a boost on the return trip but might be able to skip Supercharging altogether.
Yeah hopefully Tuscon get's a charger soon as well. That corridor along the 10 is conspicuously absent.

Once it opens, White Sands is definitely on the itinerary.

No one should have bought a Tesla if he/ she didn't research the fact battery prices are decreasing and capacities increasing at a rapid pace. While I paid the $2000 to upgrade and others paid $6500, $7000 or $9000, I fully expect that buyers who wait a few years will get much more capable Teslas for lower prices than I paid and I knew that going in. As for resale being destroyed, it's only a major issue for customers who need a shiny new car every couple years.
While I definitely expect battery prices to go down, I didn't expect a $2k hit (more than that for those who bought or updgraded previously on the 75) just a month into ownership.

Like I said earlier, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I have a trip from Dallas to KC coming up in a couple weeks, and it will be my first long trip. My opinion might change after the trip.

While I definitely expect battery prices to go down, I didn't expect a $2k hit (more than that for those who bought or updgraded previously on the 75) just a month into ownership.

Like I said earlier, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I have a trip from Dallas to KC coming up in a couple weeks, and it will be my first long trip. My opinion might change after the trip.

Did your car come with unlimited supercharging? If it did not then yes that sucks I would upset as well.

And it doesn't seem to make sense. If they want to differentiate the premium Model S from the mass-market Model 3 they should include air suspension on all MS's. But, I am sure they have thought this all out.

Oh if it makes you feel any better, I'm sure the mass market Model 3 coils won't be as good as the MS coils. It'll start looking like the German model where you've got the standard, "sport", and performance model coils, and then an air or magnetic version for the highest trims.

It may be true in California but I think there many areas of the US where Superchargers are a tough reach for a 60 depending on weather and elevation.

FWIW, I've done a few day trips around Las Vegas where I needed to sit at the supercharger and get my software-locked 70D up to 100% in order to make the trip. That 90% to 100% took 45+ minutes to do, and that's just going to 93% of the underlying 75D.

If you really need to charge more than 210 miles of the 75D to get from supercharger to supercharger in your area, then you really really really should consider the 90D/100D instead. Fortunately a lot of folks living in California never have to charge more than 150 miles to get to the next supercharger and the 75D would work great for road tripping…. But if that's not the case where you want to go, you're in for really long charging times in exchange for the cost savings.

Reactions: whitex and pjoseph
Yeah hopefully Tuscon get's a charger soon as well. That corridor along the 10 is conspicuously absent.

Once it opens, White Sands is definitely on the itinerary.

supercharge.info They're making progress on I-10 building towards Tucson. Hopefully once they make it this far they'll build one somewhere in Tucson. Probably on the south side near I-10. Maybe I-10 and Kino?

I live in Tucson and have family in Colorado. I can't wait until they get Tucson linked to the rest of I-10.

I just did the upgrade. I figure this and the unlimited SC that comes with my car will help with my resale value. This is if I decide to get a M3 in a year or so.

I am really hoping the Unlimited SC makes all of this worth it for us 60 owners (I'm not sure there are any 60's without USC). we jumped in and got 1-2 punched out real quick. Now our cars are worth even less and we owe Elon 2k as well as the icing on the cake :(