Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my Model S P85+ Tesla in October 2013. It's been almost 4 years of happiness with my car. Amazingly after 75K miles it's just like new inside and out, except for for the regular dents of normal use. Battery degradation? When the car was new the battery charged to a max daily use of 237K and today it charges to 224-226K. Fully charged new was 259K and nowadays 248-250K depending on the temperature.
Tesla changed the whole Drive Unit at almost 50K miles after a whining sound that seemed to be like a transmission without oil. Maintenance cost has been almost $0.00 except for new tires and their alignment. I get about 12-14K miles on the rear Michelin tires and about 35K miles on the front ones.
On my first trips I thought that driving fast and then supercharging the battery at 360 miles per hour was the fastest way to go, but soon I discovered that driving at 73mph will make you arrive faster to your long range destinations.
The car lowers itself when not in use, and my wife had an incident on a cement stump at a parking place where she backed out and the whole front bumper was pulled out of it's place. At the Tesla service center they were receptive with my problem but they told me that I should go to a Tesla recommended body shop. I almost had a heart attack when they quote me at the "recommended" body shop $6,800 to fix the bumper. I decided to take the car to a friend's body shop in Coconut Creek, FL and the bumper was fixed with $300 (including tip).
I paid $137K for my car and today it's worth today $50K with luck and It's like new, performance and technology still amazing, so I'm keeping it. I'll write you again in 4 years and let you know how it goes.
A new one with all the bells and whistles cost $167K I'm a great believer that the best value is to buy a used Tesla.

(I'm with you on the range #'s after almost 5 yrs 67k miles + dozens and dozens of autocross days & tire sets ... ask me in 5 years or so)

I've been curious about autocross and Tesla- they've never given you any grief over warranty repairs? (Assuming you've had some?)
I know some manufacturers are 'difficult' when it comes to timed events. Thanks in advance!

I've been curious about autocross and Tesla- they've never given you any grief over warranty repairs? (Assuming you've had some?)
I know some manufacturers are 'difficult' when it comes to timed events. Thanks in advance!
lots of warranty stuff fixed but not really anything that would have been caused or resulting from autocross, just early 'defect' stuff which many parts have been changed/redesigned in newer cars. I did not get an extended warranty and the original warranty had no wording against 'off road' or autocross..I looked pretty carefully before doing an autocross for the first time. really, really fun autocross car - especially on RE71R tires

Reactions: shrspeedblade