Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Firmware (2.40.21) Just Downgraded To 7.1 (2.36.31)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, today, the car was in the Service Center. While there, they upgraded it to 8.0 (2.40.21) from 8.0 (2.36.108). Earlier tonight, I got a notification that an upgrade was available. So, I set it to upgrade...

...and now it's on 7.1 (2.36.31)!

Has anyone heard of anything like this happening? I mean, I was already on 8.0 since September 26th. Then the SC upgraded me... only to drop back and lose 8.0 the night it returned home?

So strange.
Happened to a guy here in Australia, then went back to 8.0 again :)

TeslaFi is showing version 2.36.108 (a USA-only version, so far) as the bulk of Version 8.0 rollouts, but just in the last day or so 2.40.21 has appeared (and is getting rollouts to both USA and also Europe etc and the Counts for both 2.36.108 and 2.36.31 have gone down), so my guess is that you will be getting the 2.40.21 "bugfix" upgrade from 2.36.108
Here in Australia we are getting 2.40.21 as our first release of 8.0. Just started rolling out a few days ago.

Rolling back to any arbitrary firmware version would be impossible to test.

But it should be pretty easy for Tesla to test rolling back to a specific version - probably not the latest version, but the latest "stable" version from the previous major release (in this case 7.1).

As an early adopter, and someone who has participated in many beta tests - from multiple major software & system vendors, I've been fairly patient with Tesla's flawed development methodology and release process.

I suspect that the large number of new owners purchasing the Model 3's will be less forgiving - and if Tesla doesn't do something to finally address their software issues, by the time they see it starting to impact product sales, it may be too late for them to fix it.

Update: I contacted Tesla and they confirmed an "issue with our firmware server." They immediately pushed the latest firmware.

However, after installing it, there was an error message stating "Trifocal camera error. Contact Tesla Service." On the center screen, there was another message noting "MCU Communication Error: Radar 2, Radar 3, Radar 4. Contact Tesla Service." When I attempted to put the car into drive, it gave the standard error beep and the instrument cluster said "Unable to initialize DrivePX2."

Is the "Unable to initialize DrivePX2" a normal error sign? I am just wondering if that message is reference to the recent Electrek article that said Tesla may start using Nvidia's new DrivePX2 platform in Autopilot 2.0. I know Nvdia processors are used in current Model S's, but I thought they were just Tegras. Perhaps they accidentally uploaded unreleased firmware to your Model S, but that's per speculation, could be totally wrong.

Tesla is about to increase its lead in semi-autonomous driving w/ ‘Tesla Vision’: computer vision based on NVIDIA’s parallel computing

Is the "Unable to initialize DrivePX2" a normal error sign? I am just wondering if that message is reference to the recent Electrek article that said Tesla may start using Nvidia's new DrivePX2 platform in Autopilot 2.0. I know Nvdia processors are used in current Model S's, but I thought they were just Tegras. Perhaps they accidentally uploaded unreleased firmware to your Model S, but that's per speculation, could be totally wrong.

Tesla is about to increase its lead in semi-autonomous driving w/ ‘Tesla Vision’: computer vision based on NVIDIA’s parallel computing

Yeah sorry. I ended it with:

"Ignore that last paragraph: they just put 2.40.21 back on my vehicle. It appears to have just been a glitch at the service center."

I did intentionally go with a bunch of the current rumors, so DrivePX, more cameras, and more radar are "likely."

But, no, I didn't get an accidental firmware leak. They only accidentally rolled me back and then returned me back to the latest 8.0.

So does 2.40.21 offer anything over 2.36.108 aside from bug fixes (ie the ability to search the USB device for media content)?

I received a Tesla app notice that 2.40.21 was available while my car was at the SC, so I called and asked them to apply it. TeslaFi shows that they applied the update, but I don't have the car back yet to see what the update changed.