Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're the fool who started this thread! :)

Well, I started this thread under the impression that there were NO updates to media/nav/phone integration in v8.
That has since proven to be untrue. So I quietened down, and this thread took a life of it's own.

We are at a point now that,
a) We know there are some updates outside of AP
b) We DO NOT know what they are
c) The update is < 48 hours away ..

.. and yet people here are wailing and crying as if 8.0 sucks so bad that it's gonna set their Tesla on fire, and the irony is, they don't even know WTF is in the 8.0 update .. crazy!

So .. I'm sort of not part of the current theme of the thread. I'm patiently waiting to see what 8.0 .. IS .. before passing judgement on it.

It might suck, it might rock, but I'd rather see it before making that judgement.

I am impressed that you know exactly what Elon is thinking.

Elon looks at the big picture and the long term plan for Tesla Motors.

You look at your immediate desires.

They are not the same thing.
I think what he's referring to is last year after 7.0 was released Elon tweeted asking for feedback on what UI changes/updates people wanted in 7.1. Obviously he got a lot of suggestions including fixing Navigation and Media Player (#1) among thousands of others including one guy who wanted his car to have the ability to pick up a pizza. None of them made it in to 70 so it made people think it was a half hearted request to make owners think he wanted feedback.

Well, I started this thread under the impression that there were NO updates to media/nav/phone integration in v8.
That has since proven to be untrue. So I quietened down, and this thread took a life of it's own.

.. and yet people here are wailing and crying as if 8.0 sucks so bad that it's gonna set their Tesla on fire, and the irony is, they don't even know WTF is in the 8.0 update .. crazy!

So .. I'm sort of not part of the current theme of the thread. I'm patiently waiting to see what 8.0 .. IS .. before passing judgement on it.

It might suck, it might rock, but I'd rather see it before making that judgement.
Well, doesn't that mean that people posting about this now are doing exactly what you were doing when you started this thread - that is, jumping to conclusions? You can't begrudge them falling into the same trap you did.

Am I the only person who doesn't really care about improvements media or Nav? I mean I use both, but media is a dumb pipe from my phone, and Nav I mostly use for looking at traffic and maps, and very occasionally last mile routing to somewhere I haven't been. Both currently work fine for me. I can't imagine interacting with the media player more than I already do (which is minimal), no matter how good it is.

This is not to say both aren't inadequate for other's purposes, but I wonder how many people are fine the way it is.

I am impressed that you know exactly what Elon is thinking.

Elon looks at the big picture and the long term plan for Tesla Motors.

You look at your immediate desires.

They are not the same thing.

Right, because I am a customer. I couldn't care less about Elon's "big picture" when it comes down to having basic features like navigation and media - something almost every other car manufacturer is able to get right. But I guess I should shrivel up and crawl under a rock because, you know, I'm just a customer and what I want doesn't matter. Because, as you say, Elon has a big picture.

How about a little more objectivity and less Elon worship?

Am I the only person who doesn't really care about improvements media or Nav? I mean I use both, but media is a dumb pipe from my phone, and Nav I mostly use for looking at traffic and maps, and very occasionally last mile routing to somewhere I haven't been. Both currently work fine for me. I can't imagine interacting with the media player more than I already do (which is minimal), no matter how good it is.

I'm OK with the current media app, it works fairly well. However, any improvements in usability are welcome.

Nav is a different story. I would love to see some or all of the following added:
  • Avoid tolls / ferries.
  • Select fastest, shortest, lowest energy routes.
  • Set waypoints, including waypoint/charging points.
  • Supercharger status, with route-aware planning (e.g. route is selected based on total time, not just driving time ... if one of the shortest route superchargers is busy such that you'd have to wait, longer route is selected through a different supercharger but total time is less because there's no wait).
  • Waze integration (even basic integration like the Waze for Tesla app ... just display of accidents, road hazards/construction, and police presence -- no routing or input)
  • Better route selection based on traffic ... current algorithm judges some routes, especially surface streets with traffic lights incorrectly. Also, current algorithm frequently changes the route while you're driving, resulting in sometimes unsafe driving maneuvers to change your planning.

I've read in a few places that we may get some of these items added in 8.0. How well they actually work remains to be seen, but again, any improvement is welcome.

Right, because I am a customer. I couldn't care less about Elon's "big picture" when it comes down to having basic features like navigation and media - something almost every other car manufacturer is able to get right. But I guess I should shrivel up and crawl under a rock because, you know, I'm just a customer and what I want doesn't matter. Because, as you say, Elon has a big picture.

How about a little more objectivity and less Elon worship?

I've never used a car with good nav or media. Can someone provide examples? (not trying to claim they don't exist, just want to know what the good ones are and why). The last "advanced car" I interacted with were the Audi A7 with the completely insane writing slate thing.

I'm OK with the current media app, it works fairly well. However, any improvements in usability are welcome.

Nav is a different story. I would love to see some or all of the following added:
  • Avoid tolls / ferries.
  • Select fastest, shortest, lowest energy routes.
  • Set waypoints, including waypoint/charging points.
  • Supercharger status, with route-aware planning (e.g. route is selected based on total time, not just driving time ... if one of the shortest route superchargers is busy such that you'd have to wait, longer route is selected through a different supercharger but total time is less because there's no wait).
  • Waze integration (even basic integration like the Waze for Tesla app ... just display of accidents, road hazards/construction, and police presence -- no routing or input)
  • Better route selection based on traffic ... current algorithm judges some routes, especially surface streets with traffic lights incorrectly. Also, current algorithm frequently changes the route while you're driving, resulting in sometimes unsafe driving maneuvers to change your planning.

I've read in a few places that we may get some of these items added in 8.0. How well they actually work remains to be seen, but again, any improvement is welcome.

I probably just don't drive enough :)

Reactions: trils0n
Yes please! A reference point for this benchmark nav every other car has. I've never seen it. Of course I'm not actively car shopping. I only see friends' cars when I ride in them. And my VW and BMW and my former Jag. They had waypoints, but otherwise so unusable I avoided as much as possible. I suspect the tesla is far better than most in some things (map size, always on maps, trip/energy integration) and worse in some things (avoid tolls, waypoints). I'll tell you one thing for sure: ability to use google maps search for destination beats the heck out of any other nav system's destination entry I've used. Most of them are not only terrible, but don't work unless stopped. But again, point me at the benchmark, please!!

This is not to say both aren't inadequate for other's purposes, but I wonder how many people are fine the way it is.
I don't have any significant experience with the navigation yet, but the fact that you can't add waypoints is a good indication that it's lacking some basic features. The the more than 8 years old navigation in my previous car supported that and that one is considered ancient (still used maps stored on CDs). And the car before that with an even older system already supported it. On the plus side, the navigation in the Model S is reacting much quicker and has higher quality and more detailed graphics than my previous cars. Also the live traffic indication on the map is much better in the Model S.

The media player too really needs some improvements. As it stands today, it cannot play a series of CDs (ripped to FLAC files on a USB stick) with songs in proper order unless you put a lot of effort in renaming and arranging the files on the USB stick. The 6-CD changer in my previous car did a better job at that (albeit only supporting real audio CDs). On the other side, my previous car didn't support Spotify, DAB+ and TuneIn (I haven't tried the TuneIn on the Model S and only briefly the other two).

Reactions: aesculus
I've never used a car with good nav or media. Can someone provide examples? (not trying to claim they don't exist, just want to know what the good ones are and why). The last "advanced car" I interacted with were the Audi A7 with the completely insane writing slate thing.

I probably just don't drive enough :)

I feel the same way.

My '14 A6, '17 A4, and '13 BMW 3 series with NBT all had nav systems that had more features but I tended to use less because they had far more incorrect routing, absolutely horrible POI searching, and despite having waypoints it was buried beneath enough clickwheel gestures that I never bothered to use it for that purpose.

I'm not excusing the Tesla nav for not having these things — of course I would love it if they implemented this functionality as well. But to declare it as a whole to be 8 years behind is an oversimplification. It is still by far the car nav that I use the most often, and the Google POI search is every bit as good as on a smartphone.

Reactions: trils0n
I don't have any significant experience with the navigation yet, but the fact that you can't add waypoints is a good indication that it's lacking some basic features. The the more than 8 years old navigation in my previous car supported that and that one is considered ancient (still used maps stored on CDs). And the car before that with an even older system already supported it. On the plus side, the navigation in the Model S is reacting much quicker and has higher quality and more detailed graphics than my previous cars. Also the live traffic indication on the map is much better in the Model S.

The media player too really needs some improvements. As it stands today, it cannot play a series of CDs (ripped to FLAC files on a USB stick) with songs in proper order unless you put a lot of effort in renaming and arranging the files on the USB stick. The 6-CD changer in my previous car did a better job at that (albeit only supporting real audio CDs). On the other side, my previous car didn't support Spotify, DAB+ and TuneIn (I haven't tried the TuneIn on the Model S and only briefly the other two).
Hmmm, I've never had to do anything special to get songs on USB to play in correct order. Hlwhat are you using to rip? I don't think this is teslas fault.

I swear, I will be livid if we still don't get proper tag info when playing music from a folder.....

Hmmm, I've never had to do anything special to get songs on USB to play in correct order. Hlwhat are you using to rip? I don't think this is teslas fault.
It's not so much the songs within one CD; that works Ok. But I have a few sets of CDs that I'd like to listen to in the correct order. E.g. Richard Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen conducted by Sir Georg Solti. That's 14 CDs of music that I'd like to be played in the correct order. I have not been able to figure out the logic behind the ordering of the albums in the media player. The first time it appeared to be ordered CD1, CD10, CD11, CD12, CD13, CD14, CD2, CD3, etc.
But at some point, after having removed and re-inserted the USB stick, the order appeared to be different.
It also doesn't help that the default album and song names are too long to fully display in the media player selection screen, so you cannot really tell what's what.

Another flaw is that the media player leaves a short gap between each song. That doesn't work well for songs that should be really be played gapless (as is the case for Der Ring). I have now resorted to converting the full works into 4 huge FLAC files. That appears to work better (but I have only made one small attempt to verify that the files get recognized and will start to play).

I ripped with morituri (on an Ubuntu 14.04 PC).

I think what he's referring to is last year after 7.0 was released Elon tweeted asking for feedback on what UI changes/updates people wanted in 7.1. Obviously he got a lot of suggestions including fixing Navigation and Media Player (#1) among thousands of others including one guy who wanted his car to have the ability to pick up a pizza. None of them made it in to 70 so it made people think it was a half hearted request to make owners think he wanted feedback.
We did receive several features in 7.1 that we voted for. Plus we've received a couple in the incremental updates to AP in the minor releases. So there's that I guess. A major overhaul to bugfixes and feature-set to the existing media player would be preferred over just skinning over it with a new UI.