Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just scrolled through 3 pages of arguments. Can someone tell me where informative posts begin? I'm just here to get deets on 8.0 and 8.1. :D

Aside from what was in the blog post, we don't know anything yet. This isn't the right thread, anyway - as you saw at the top, this thread was started by a legacy owner to complain about the things he felt would not show up in 8.0 because of all the attention to AP.

So, how much charge does an OTA update require? I'm in a so-so cell coverage area and my home charger isn't installed yet...
As far as I know, doing an OTA update doesn't require that your battery be charged to a specific minimum level. I'm sure you could install an update with 0 miles of range left. At that point there are still several kWhs remaining in the battery.

You will of course need an adequate cell data connection showing in the car.

You will of course need an adequate cell data connection showing in the car.

Not to install it. Once you get the prompt to upgrade everything is already downloaded and ready and you could apply the update in a faraday cage. (Or anywhere without cellular or WiFi access.)

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some minimum charge amount required, but in reality an upgrade takes at most 2 hours, so that is nothing compared to driving. But maybe they are more worried about the charge level of the 12v battery since the HV battery and DC-DC convertor are probably taken off-line for at least part of the upgrade process.

Reactions: ohmman
Eh boy... Not quite the huge UI overhaul that's been touted.
Putting the two Electrek reports together I count for UI refresh:

- new map routing and turn instructions, routing based on energy, avoiding tolls, picking superchargers
- remove icon bar for full screen
- complete revamp of media player
- voice commands on all the time, no button needed (not sure how this will work?)
- minor AP UI

And that's not counting stronger regen and AP-radar.

That's not too bad for an update. What other parts need a refresh?

Huge disappointment, nothing mentioned about Nav. No overhall, no new features such as routes, waypoints or improved accuracy. Looks like another overpromise and underdeliver. What happened to all that stuff in the first leak? Hope Electrek got it wrong.