Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 timing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_9105.PNG

Looks like another few days til 8.1, but at least we are getting closer to a more exact date. But technically 50% longer than the last "10 days or so" update

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman
Its been so long since 8.1 was first announced I forgot what we were supposed to get o_O

"Classics" can look forward to a new browser, yay :).
In all these monster threads, I've forgotten if this was discussed: Even if the kernel is redone so the browser is technically 'better', how good can it get if everything is proxied back to the bottleneck of the mothership? Isn't that the *real* issue currently and forever for browser performance?

In all these monster threads, I've forgotten if this was discussed: Even if the kernel is redone so the browser is technically 'better', how good can it get if everything is proxied back to the bottleneck of the mothership? Isn't that the *real* issue currently and forever for browser performance?

My understanding was that DNS lookups go back to the motherships and select traffic goes to the mothership, not everything. But basically, the DNS lookups handle the majority of controlling what does/does not go through home.

If you browse to www.ipchicken.com, you'll see the IP of whatever infrastructure is getting you routed to the Internet. You can look that IP up at arin.net.

When on 3/4G, most traffic does seem to be proxied through some 3rd party system. That doesn't necessarily mean the experience is automatically worse though. Depends on the infrastructure. When on the road on 3/4G, I usually get an IP that maps back a company called Jasper in CA.

When on Wifi, most traffic seems to go direct. If you're at home on Wifi, you should see an IP that belongs to your ISP when you browse to ipchicken. And from extensive packet captures I've taken on my Wifi, I can say that most, if not all, of DNS requests just go to the local router. More details are probably buried in other forum posts.

Also a kernel upgrade by itself is unlikely to make any sort of decent performance increase for the browser unless there was an obscure issue. I think it's more likely that 8.1 is complete system update - a kernel update, supporting OS updates, and some application upgrades (some that you see and some that you can't see). If that's true, they probably had a huge challenge with regressions and thus delays.

If you browse to www.ipchicken.com, you'll see the IP of whatever infrastructure is getting you routed to the Internet. You can look that IP up at arin.net.

When on 3/4G, most traffic does seem to be proxied through some 3rd party system. That doesn't necessarily mean the experience is automatically worse though. Depends on the infrastructure. When on the road on 3/4G, I usually get an IP that maps back a company called Jasper in CA.

When on Wifi, most traffic seems to go direct. If you're at home on Wifi, you should see an IP that belongs to your ISP when you browse to ipchicken. And from extensive packet captures I've taken on my Wifi, I can say that most, if not all, of DNS requests just go to the local router. More details are probably buried in other forum posts.

Thanks. I know there was lots of discussion in the 6.1 days about traffic monitoring and obviously it wasn't important enough (to me) to remember years later, or it has changed.

Really looking forward to 8.1 like everyone else here.

I'm really hoping the new update will put an end to my unstable / wavy / dancing road guidelines. Seeing those lines move around, while driving myself or in AP mode, doesn't inspire much confidence. :confused:

Also, unlike AP1 hardware cars I've been in, my HW2 isn't consistently picking up cars to either side of me, or in front of me. It's rather bizarre, HW2 will track a car in front of me, then all of a sudden make it disappear. Even at stoplights. And unlike HW1, my HW2 doesn't consistently show the second car ahead of me. Family and I wanting to do a road trip in a few weeks, I could really use AP to back me up.