Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80% Charge is Only Showing 168 Mile Range? '22 MYP w/ 17K miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the responses. I typically charge every 2-3 days. I set the car to charge last night to 81% and the range was back up to 240 miles this morning so it sounds like the BMS needs to get itself corrected. I'll do the cycle thing again.
This is not a BMS issue as was said.

Just figure out why the car is stopping charging early. Turn on all notifications in the app, etc. possible some issue with on-board charger but you’d likely have an error message if so. So probably something is just stopping the charge.

Look at WC configuration, car configuration, etc.

Normally the car warns if there is an unexpected interrupt but a commanded interrupt is of no consequence to it.

And.....still having the same problem. I've been messing with the percentage charge limit to see what happens. Charged it to 82% the other night and it seemed to be okay. The next time I charged it, it stopped charging just below 60%. I then set the charge limit to 79% and it charged to near 60% again. I tried to charge again last night to 79% and woke up to a range of only 149 miles.

I have no idea what's going on. Perhaps there is a problem with the wall connector that's causing it to lose power briefly and stopping the charge process (overheating?) No out of place lights are on on the connector and no error messages are showing up in vehicle or on the app. Just seems to randomly stop charging. Also, one night before going to bed I checked it and it stopped charging at about 65% so I disconnected/reconnected the charger and woke to the full 80% charge.

You need to get Tesla service involved to see if there is anything in the logs to explain why it is not charging all the way to your set limit.

DON'T frame it as a range question, or they are (more) likely to blow you off with the "less than 30% degradation is normal" BS. You are specifically asking "why does my car not fully charge to the setting - I set it to 80% and it stops charging overnight at 61%" or something like that.

In fact, only speak to them about charge percentages - don't bring up miles of range in the same conversation or you'll just confuse them.

You may occasionally see the final charge being off by a couple of percent (ie, waking to 72% when you set the limit to 70%). That is normal, since charge level is a bit of an estimate. But you shouldn't see it off by 20%. The car is stopping the charge cycle early; you need to know why.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Royal27 and Rocky_H
This is not a BMS issue as was said.
Why so sure? What tells the charger it's time to stop charging, if not the BMS?

Something is messed up when the charging routinely stops at 60%.

I wonder if the car gets any sleep? Two or three ways to stop it sleeping.

Obvious one being Sentry mode.

Apps running checkins at all hours. There was even one member who found the app server was still checking his car after he deleted the app!

Illegal draw off the 16V battery.

Why so sure? What tells the charger it's time to stop charging, if not the BMS?

Something is messed up when the charging routinely stops at 60%.

I wonder if the car gets any sleep? Two or three ways to stop it sleeping.

Obvious one being Sentry mode.

Apps running checkins at all hours. There was even one member who found the app server was still checking his car after he deleted the app!

Illegal draw off the 16V battery.
Sentry draw insufficient to explain of course.

Of course I cannot be certain about the BMS but there are various means to control when the car starts charging.

With Gen3 you can control charging hours:

There is a specific quote:

Note: Your electric vehicle may also have its own charging schedule setting. Review your settings to ensure your Wall Connector and vehicle allow charging during the same time periods.

Anyway something like that seems most likely.

I just read the recent post from @RedSupraT and I do wonder whether there is a hardware problem of some sort. It really doesn’t sound like a charging schedule issue in this case.

Should try using the regular Mobile Connector or a different location to see if any of the same things happen.

I suppose some failures might not result in an error message in the app.

Could be a hardware problem on the Wall Connector side or the vehicle side which fails to throw an error.

Sentry mode is well known to prevent sleeping.

It would be a great upgrade if it could run off the 16v without using any big battery. Then the BMS could do the sleepy time tasks uninterrupted. Sleep with one eye open.

Yeah but not sleeping is not the issue here.

They fired the guy in charge of Sentry Mode 2.0 (Drew Baglino) so we’ll be stuck with ~200W Sentry Mode forever now probably. Not going to be able to run that off the 16V.

Certainly seems like there is every reason to have Sentry mode designed within a mobile phone power envelope, but it’s not designed that way with a separate low power hardware setup (it is some sort of afterthought), so here we are.

Please explain in detail.
If I leave sentry mode active, which keeps the car from sleeping, my LR will burn ~8%/24 hrs. If the car was actually charging to 80% overnight, then not sleeping through the night, it would only be down a couple of percentage points max, not almost 20%.

Another way to look at it. Assume 82kWh battery in the LR. 82kWh * 8% in 24 hrs = 6560Wh in 24 hrs = 273W draw while sentry mode is active. To burn 20% in a few hours (est 5hrs) means 82kWh * 20% = 16.4kWh / 5 hrs = 3.28 kW draw. Nothing in the car is drawing that, except the drivetrain or HVAC.

Plus, @RedSupraT clear states in post #23 the car is stopping charging early for some reason, well below the setpoint. It isn't charging to 80%, then burning 20% through self consumption.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
As far as I know, the car always notifies when it stops charging, whether it’s because it reached the set limit or because the charger cut it off or came unplugged. It’s highly unusual that you aren’t getting some sort of feedback from the car. Double check your settings.

I never said it was the 200w per se draining off 20%. That's ridiculous it's the lack od sleep potential I am looking at

If it's nor sleeping it isn't doing the balancing stuff that keeps the cells equal. I suspect once this gets too far out of whack the wacky things could start happening ie it gives up on charging the while pack to the full 80%.

Here's are some points of information I would be looking at if it were me (and that you could post screenshots of):

1. Voltage while charging. Brownouts can cause charging to stop.
2. What are you charging with? If mobile connector, what's the temperature at the plug?
3. Service menu error history
4. Running any third party apps?
5. Do you have the same issue charging in other locations?

I setup a "at-home" Tesla service but after lowering the charging rate from 48 down to 36, I don't seem to be having the issue anymore. Charged 4 times in a row and hit 80% each time with no issue. Gonna hold off on having Tesla out for now and probably have my 20 year old main breaker replaced.
It’s just strange you are not getting any notifications. Turn all relevant ones on in the app if they are not already.

I setup a "at-home" Tesla service but after lowering the charging rate from 48 down to 36, I don't seem to be having the issue anymore. Charged 4 times in a row and hit 80% each time with no issue. Gonna hold off on having Tesla out for now and probably have my 20 year old main breaker replaced.
Why are you replacing the main breaker? If there is a problem with it it would trip. Unless you have some type of monitoring that is showing problems above 36A there is something else going on and I would bet against it being the breaker. There could be an issue with the in car charging circuitry, or something similar. Have Tesla come check that out.