TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

85D vs P85D. Whats the difference other then 0-60times?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Freebs, Apr 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Freebs

Freebs New Member

Hey everyone,

I am thinking about making the move from a 2011 GTR to a Model S P85D. I have been trying to find one with absolutely no luck here in Western Canada but there are a few 85D's around with all the features that I am looking for. I am wondering if there is any difference between the two other then the 0-60mph times? Once they are both up to speed, are they both more or less the same?

Also what year did the Next Gen seats start?

Thanks everyone,

- Josh

2. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

Here is some data I put together a year or so ago from a number of sources.
    2017-04-18_001.jpg

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  3. Freebs

Freebs New Member

wdolson you are a male/women of my own heart. Everyone makes fun of me for me spreadsheets (I have more spread sheets then I will care to let any one know hahah) so when I just opened this to see your reply was in the form of a spread sheet I almost heard angels signing hahah. So thank you very much for this.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. wdolson

I'm geeky that way too. I had a spreadsheet for all the steps necessary when we moved. My SO thought I was nuts, but it avoided a lot of headaches.

I have a number of spreadsheets I created when I was car shopping.

5. David99

David99 Active Member

The P has a larger, more powerful motor in the back. The front motor is the same. The larger back motor is a little less efficient, hence the P version will get slightly less range. Other than that the cars are pretty much identical.

• Like x 1
  6. Freebs

Freebs New Member

We are the exact same in this way. It saves headaches and allows for things to run so much smoother. Everyone will always make fun of us and never thank us when everything is laid out for them so nothing gets missed

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

The 85D's range is 17 mile further than the P85D. If comparing to March P85D or earlier, the P85D's suspension is *WAY* stiffer and more uncomfortable than the 85D.

Unless you need the off the line acceleration, the 85D is a better car all around plus a lot less expensive.

• Like x 2
  8. Freebs

Freebs New Member

Coming from the GTR which will do sub 3 second 0-60 I do like that feeling off the line, but I can live with a second added on since I don't use it all the time even in my current car.

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

Missed the part about you having a GTR. The 85D will feel nothing like that. In fact, if you're used to that and it's important to you, you'll need at least a P85D upgraded to Ludicrous to match the fastest 0-60 times the GTR can pull off.

Honestly, if you still have the GTR, I'd keep it. If you want to add a Tesla, by all means, go ahead, but you'll be giving up a lot unless get a Ludicrous version of a Tesla PD.

Edit: Ahh, 2011 GTR. OK, a P85D Insane will slightly edge out your GTR 0-60. The 85D might not feel that much slower and it can pull off those 0-60s in 3.9 pretty much every time without the need for launch mode or lots of noise.

10. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

About $30,000 dollars difference

11. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Get the at least the p90d with ludicrous. Otherwise the p85d will feel slow compared to the gtr. Those saying a second here and there does not make much difference but it does. Personally I would say get the p100d to top the gtr otherwise why move to something comparable if quickness is what you are after? Save the money and go for the gold.

12. sorka

sorka Active Member

$20K diff between P85D and 85D
    $20K diff between P90D and 90D
    $30K diff between P90DL and 90D
    $25K diff between P85DL and 85D

• Informative x 1
  13. wdolson

A lot of the energy efficiency loss is due to the larger weight of the larger motor. It takes more energy to get that larger rotor spinning and keep it spinning.

14. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

S85D has drastically higher performance output than X90D?
    Huh. Go figure.