Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D vs P85D. Whats the difference other then 0-60times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I am thinking about making the move from a 2011 GTR to a Model S P85D. I have been trying to find one with absolutely no luck here in Western Canada but there are a few 85D's around with all the features that I am looking for. I am wondering if there is any difference between the two other then the 0-60mph times? Once they are both up to speed, are they both more or less the same?

Also what year did the Next Gen seats start?

Thanks everyone,

- Josh

Here is some data I put together a year or so ago from a number of sources.
2017-04-18_001.jpg

I'm geeky that way too. I had a spreadsheet for all the steps necessary when we moved. My SO thought I was nuts, but it avoided a lot of headaches.

I have a number of spreadsheets I created when I was car shopping.

The 85D's range is 17 mile further than the P85D. If comparing to March P85D or earlier, the P85D's suspension is *WAY* stiffer and more uncomfortable than the 85D.

Unless you need the off the line acceleration, the 85D is a better car all around plus a lot less expensive.
Coming from the GTR which will do sub 3 second 0-60 I do like that feeling off the line, but I can live with a second added on since I don't use it all the time even in my current car.

Coming from the GTR which will do sub 3 second 0-60 I do like that feeling off the line, but I can live with a second added on since I don't use it all the time even in my current car.

Missed the part about you having a GTR. The 85D will feel nothing like that. In fact, if you're used to that and it's important to you, you'll need at least a P85D upgraded to Ludicrous to match the fastest 0-60 times the GTR can pull off.

Honestly, if you still have the GTR, I'd keep it. If you want to add a Tesla, by all means, go ahead, but you'll be giving up a lot unless get a Ludicrous version of a Tesla PD.

Edit: Ahh, 2011 GTR. OK, a P85D Insane will slightly edge out your GTR 0-60. The 85D might not feel that much slower and it can pull off those 0-60s in 3.9 pretty much every time without the need for launch mode or lots of noise.

Get the at least the p90d with ludicrous. Otherwise the p85d will feel slow compared to the gtr. Those saying a second here and there does not make much difference but it does. Personally I would say get the p100d to top the gtr otherwise why move to something comparable if quickness is what you are after? Save the money and go for the gold.

The P has a larger, more powerful motor in the back. The front motor is the same. The larger back motor is a little less efficient, hence the P version will get slightly less range. Other than that the cars are pretty much identical.

A lot of the energy efficiency loss is due to the larger weight of the larger motor. It takes more energy to get that larger rotor spinning and keep it spinning.

what the figures don't show is that all of the P85D benefit over an 85D is at less than 30mph, ie off-the-line antics.
Fun for sure, but above 30mph they're almost identical and this is due to the limitation of the battery to deliver power not the motors.

The P90D was a bit better but afaik Tesla limited some of the early ones due to risk of battery damage and also restricted supercharging charge rates, later ones less so. Somebody on here might have more detail of that, battery codes etc.

Really to properly eclipse a GTR (in a straight line) you want a P100D; the Raven Performance is significantly better than that and remains the dark horse in Tesla's camp. All budget related though of course.

What you do get with any of them is the instantaneous reaction of an electric drivetrain and that alone never gets old, and usually leaves anything shuffling cogs and spooling up turbos well and truly in the rear view mirror.

Good luck in choosing