Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

86% of June Model 3s "reworked"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well Im glad I waited. Anecdotally it seems like almost every Model 3 delivered to members of TMC had some issues that had to be fixed post delivery at the SC. Some of us were worried about getting one of the cars made in the big production ramp push to 5,000 in June. Turns out we were right (at least partially) to be a little concerned.

Check this out: Internal documents reveal the grueling way Tesla hit its 5,000 Model 3 target

TL;DR: Tesla had first pass yield of 14% for last week of June compared to a "good" FPY of 80%.

It's worth noting that the report suggests the reworks happened at the factory which means that their yield might be even lower considering after delivery fixes at the service center are not part of the rework statistics.

Thoughts? I really do hope QC has improved in the 2 months since the big production push.

It's possible that the FPY criteria has changed over time. There is no question that Tesla has seen the checklists that are present on this forum and elsewhere. If these include more items or tighter requirements than the FPY included, it would be logical for Tesla to adjust the FPY criteria. Isn't that part of continuous process improvement?

• Helpful
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I wasn't an early Model S/X person, but for those of you who were, how does the Model 3 ramp/quality issues compare to what you all experienced with S and X?
Took delivery of Model 3 a week and a half ago and it's pretty perfect. My 2016 S was "panel gappy" (tho I never actually noticed until I started frequenting TMC lol).

Last edited:
Took delivery of my 3D yesterday (VIN 561XX, build 08/18).
Interior was flawless, panel gaps were good, but MCR paint had dust in bumper and hood, requiring repair. My Auto Detailer, who attended delivery, measured paint thickness, and thoroughly inspected finish said it's on par with any automaker even though he found about a dozen small defects (most he could polish out).
Overall I was pleased with the build quality, but again I think the paint job could be a bit better.

During the week of June 23, Tesla reworked a little over 4,300 Model 3 vehicles, according to internal documents. Each car took an average of 37 minutes to repair.

Conclusions:
  • How major of a "flaw" are we talking if it can be fixed in 37 minutes?
  • As Tesla eliminates these issues, think how many cars they will be outputting!
  • If it's fixed at the factory before you receive it ...

Check this out:
Business Insider again, the equivalent of FUD NEWS. Fair and balanced from anonymous sources? I don't think so! This is plain old "market manipulation" by those who have the most to lose from Tesla's success.

My SIL's 3, delivered exactly a week ago, VIN 709xx, is as close to perfect as a production car can get and everything works as designed too!

Stop spreading unsubstantiated junk "news!" :mad:

Business Insider again, the equivalent of FUD NEWS.

Pretty accurate. Their reports are 90% trash. Whenever I see Business Insider I can't help but roll my eyes. While the percentage is high when comparing to other manufacturers, the turnaround time shows they all tend to be minor things. Hopefully Tesla notices and addresses these issues but at the same time these are the kind of things that should improve on a consistent basis with experience if handled correctly. \

Still, as much as I hate these clickbait articles, you have to admit it seems to fall into line with the kind of QC we've seen with the model 3 so far. Lots of small little defects here and there right at or after time of delivery to get things right.

Still, as much as I hate these clickbait articles, you have to admit it seems to fall into line with the kind of QC we've seen with the model 3 so far. Lots of small little defects here and there right at or after time of delivery to get things right.
No, I don't have to admit to that! I think it is a small, but vocal minority who are substantially OCD. Checking paint depth? Checking for defects with a laser light? Measuring panel gaps with a micrometer? Checking air pressure in tires at delivery? Four page checklists?

If you check the surveys, the vast MAJORITY of new owners are perfectly satisfied with QC on their cars.

Business Insider report? really? You can trust a Russian report or even National Inquirer's scandal reports than one from Business Insider.

They are well known to outright lying and exaggerations that would put even Trump's proclamations to shame. The objective of these reports is to catch people like OP and put some fear into their minds, and it looks like they have succeeded.

This is precisely the lies and FUD fueled by shorts that Musk is concerned about. After all Tesla is making a consumer product for soccer moms and Jon Doe's and these exaggerated reports make a dent in people's mind.

Well Im glad I waited. Anecdotally it seems like almost every Model 3 delivered to members of TMC had some issues that had to be fixed post delivery at the SC. Some of us were worried about getting one of the cars made in the big production ramp push to 5,000 in June. Turns out we were right (at least partially) to be a little concerned.

Check this out: Internal documents reveal the grueling way Tesla hit its 5,000 Model 3 target

TL;DR: Tesla had first pass yield of 14% for last week of June compared to a "good" FPY of 80%.

It's worth noting that the report suggests the reworks happened at the factory which means that their yield might be even lower considering after delivery fixes at the service center are not part of the rework statistics.

Thoughts? I really do hope QC has improved in the 2 months since the big production push.

This was about rework at the factory, not after delivery. 37 minutes on average to touch stuff up that needed fixing before they left the factory. This is NOT talking about customers requesting fixes at delivery. Much lower number there.

Reactions: neroden
This was about rework at the factory, not after delivery. 37 minutes on average to touch stuff up that needed fixing before they left the factory. This is NOT talking about customers requesting fixes at delivery. Much lower number there.

Very true. And we do mention often here at since Tesla doesn't really have "Staging & correction areas" after shipping, customers tend to see the delivery flaws that they would not normally see from any other brand.

Besides the BS factor, I tally most of that report to rushing and inexperience.

Reactions: SoCalGuy
No, I don't have to admit to that! I think it is a small, but vocal minority who are substantially OCD. Checking paint depth? Checking for defects with a laser light? Measuring panel gaps with a micrometer? Checking air pressure in tires at delivery? Four page checklists?

If you check the surveys, the vast MAJORITY of new owners are perfectly satisfied with QC on their cars.
I think I'd have to disagree here. There are a number of posts by people who just joined TMC after they got their Model 3s. IIRC the accent light has been a persistent issue, paint defects (bubbles, road chips, under/overspray), Bluetooth key hit/miss, service warning miles/hours/days after delivery, etc. Yes there are those of us on TMC who obsess about things on the M3 that we would not normally obsess over with other cars. But there are also some fairly consistent issues appearing as well. It does seem that the frequency has declined over the last few months, which when coupled with increasing production suggests that the proportion of QC issues has decreased which is a good thing.

Let's just hope that this trend continues.

P.S. it's worth noting as I did in my OP that these rework stats do not include post-delivery SC fixes. So all of the Costa Mesa/MdR experiences of DS pressuring people to take delivery and schedule service to fix "minor" issues afterwards are not included in the alleged 86% figure.