Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

9/29 2017 IAC - Elon: Interplanetary Plans Pt. 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Grendal
I would not assume SpaceX would have to spell out that acronym. It's a name spelled "BFR" if they want it to be. Like a 60's era car called a GTO.

That said I suspect that at some point SpaceX will come up with an "official" name for the BFR. But we will all continue to call it the BFR. :rolleyes:
GTO means Grand Turismo Omologato, Italian for homologated grand touring car.

Reactions: Grendal
It's inevitable that BFR will always be associated with a double meaning. Although President of SpaceX, Gwynne Shotwell's statements aren't quite as riveting or imperative as when her famous boss speaks. When Elon refers to BFR we all know what he's thinking. He has as much fun with that F as he did when playfully teasing about S ≡ X models at Tesla.

Tony Bruno, CEO of ULA, had the following to say about Elon's presentation at IAC:

A few thoughts:

I continue to be impressed with Elon's unique ability to create excitement and interest in space.

I am flattered that several of our ideas are present in his Mars transport ConOps: Distributed launch, in orbit refueling, long duration cryo propulsion, etc..

This is an impressively ambitious plan.

I am also confident in our competitive strategy with Vulcan and ACES.

I admire his single minded focus on Mars.

I remain committed to serving the missions of my NASA, NRO, USAF, and Commercial customers, both in the future and today.

I would like to see energy applied to the very real issue of the health effects of long term deep space travel as well as other Human Safety issues. Last year, in Guadalajara, Elon said that "People would die" and, during Q&A, that he, himself, would not make the trip. It would be a great message if he committed personally.

I think our visions for becoming a multi-planetary species are a little different. Elon talks about how the Earth will inevitably suffer an extinction level event some day. So, if the species is to survive, it will be because Elon placed a life boat of thousands or perhaps millions on Mars who will carry on after the billions on earth are killed. When we open our risk window up to cosmic time scales, we all have to agree that the Universe is a pretty dangerous place, so this viewpoint has merit.

I see our expansion beyond Earth a little differently. This is nothing less than our Human destiny. When we have a permanent and expanded presence outside this planet, it will fundamentally change what it means to be Human. This can happen in just a handful of years. A tremendous wealth of natural resources exists just in our Earth-Moon neighborhood. When we create a CisLunar economic zone, Nearly all of the things that are rare here on earth will be available in abundance, there will be nearly free, ubiquitous energy anywhere on the planet. Poverty will be eliminated. The conflicts that arise through a shortage of resources will end. The basic state of human dignity will lift beyond anything previously seen in human history.

A thriving CisLunar economy will be self-sustaining. It will create wealth, not be a sink of resources. And it will afford us the opportunity to learn how to live in a non-earth-like environment, doing, so at a safe, week's journey from home. So that, as we press out to Mars and beyond, we will have learned the skills necessary to survive there. Tera forming is a very long way off. For the next century or so, we need to build the skills and experience necessary to live on planets without it.

Gosh, Tony is so generous in taking credit. ;) Of course for any project where the end goal is the same there will some similarities in two different mission plans from two different companies.

Actually, his statement wasn’t as bad as I feared it might be. If Elon had written a similar rebuttal, your computer screen would be issuing puffs of smoke. So, kudos to Tony Bruno for putting out an alternate uplifting positive vision of space.

If I may be so bold (or stupid), I disagree with Elon’s single minded focus on Mars. I mean, CAN it even be terraformed to have a breathable atmosphere? In how many centuries? The moon can’t, obviously, but I don’t see why you can’t have a self sustaining underground metropolis. Maybe I’ve read too much Heinlein, but the moon does seem to be a more logical choice...

Reactions: jkn and Grendal
Actually, his statement wasn’t as bad as I feared it might be. If Elon had written a similar rebuttal, your computer screen would be issuing puffs of smoke. So, kudos to Tony Bruno for putting out an alternate uplifting positive vision of space.

If I may be so bold (or stupid), I disagree with Elon’s single minded focus on Mars. I mean, CAN it even be terraformed to have a breathable atmosphere? In how many centuries? The moon can’t, obviously, but I don’t see why you can’t have a self sustaining underground metropolis. Maybe I’ve read too much Heinlein, but the moon does seem to be a more logical choice...

Tony Bruno has been about as good as you can get from ULA. He's been gracious and supportive on many occasions. ULA has their new plan for the future and they seem to be moving slowly and steadily forward on it. They are well aware that there is no chance for them to beat SpaceX on cost. So they are focused on being their position as the more expensive but needed alternative to SpaceX. They will continue to try for as many government (military and NASA) launches as possible. Which will probably be 50% or more unless Congress changes the way they do things. I expect that will give 8 to 10 to ULA and the same to SpaceX.

Elon is focused on Mars. He did mention the Moon and even had a nice graphic for it as well. I think Elon is open to a Moon Base but will only be the transportation and cargo carrier for Moon activities. His presentation made it clear that BFR/BFS is a universal workhorse for whatever operations are needed. If the government want to do something cislunar or a Moon base then SpaceX will go there. Elon wants a Mars colony for his reasons. Since he and his company will have the capability to get you there, it is still up to governments, scientists, and entrepreneurs to build the colony. I expect that SpaceX and Elon would directly involve themselves in making that happen.

Last edited: