Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90 percent charge has increased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charged to 90 percent today. A 90 percent charge has consistently yielded 278 miles since the car was delivered in December. Today it increased to 285. On software 2019.20.2.1, which was downloaded about two weeks ago. What gives?
I recall early software updates on S that appeared to reset rated range variables resulting in temporarily restored range that went back to real values after a few weeks.

Or, is your 3 a RWD LR? Tesla announced increase in max range (which we all knew was there anyway) but I haven’t seen it appear in our RWD. Could it be unlocked by this update?

I recall early software updates on S that appeared to reset rated range variables resulting in temporarily restored range that went back to real values after a few weeks.

Or, is your 3 a RWD LR? Tesla announced increase in max range (which we all knew was there anyway) but I haven’t seen it appear in our RWD. Could it be unlocked by this update?

I's a dual motor performance.

How does the Guess-O-Meter work on a Tesla? I'm about to buy an M3 AWD in the next couple of weeks, currently I have a Volt. On the Volt the range is calculated dynamically depending on your recent driving history so if you are driving on back roads the range goes way up and that's reflected on the Guess-O-Meter's range estimate, if you are driving on a highway the range goes down and that reflected pretty quickly on the Guess-O-Meter, does the Tesla do something similar or using some other algorithm?

How does the Guess-O-Meter work on a Tesla? I'm about to buy an M3 AWD in the next couple of weeks, currently I have a Volt. On the Volt the range is calculated dynamically depending on your recent driving history so if you are driving on back roads the range goes way up and that's reflected on the Guess-O-Meter's range estimate, if you are driving on a highway the range goes down and that reflected pretty quickly on the Guess-O-Meter, does the Tesla do something similar or using some other algorithm?
As a former 1st gen leaf owner That had the factory “guess o meter” I can say I am amazed at how accurate it is in my Model 3

I drive consistently, in the Leaf I had to really take it easy if I wanted range, the Tesla you don’t it is so fast and efficient.

My leaf said 160km range, best I ever saw highway was 100.

My standard plus is rated 385 km and I have seen 320 km highway with 50 left...AC on at 110km hr

Amazing

Reactions: UnicornDriver

On the Model 3 it’s just the amount of energy in the pack divided by the EPA Wh/mi. There is no dynamic GOM in the Tesla.

Historically the rated range calculation has been static (i.e. does not depend on driving style). It's based on a fixed Wh/mi number that has been prescribed to a particular vehicle configuration. The only thing that changes is the car's estimation of total available pack capacity which varies based on degradation, cell balance, average ambient temp etc.

I don't think we fully understand the display. Tesla says it's an algorithm so many things can affect it and Tesla can change it maybe even without a software notification. Measuring battery capacity and charge level is very complicated and difficult. In my Ford Fusion Hybrid "distance to empty" display, the mile countdown sometimes differed a lot from the odometer particularly when nearing empty or when driving conditions changed a lot.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I don't think we fully understand the display. Tesla says it's an algorithm so many things can affect it and Tesla can change it maybe even without a software notification. Measuring battery capacity and charge level is very complicated and difficult. In my Ford Fusion Hybrid "distance to empty" display, the mile countdown sometimes differed a lot from the odometer particularly when nearing empty or when driving conditions changed a lot.
Disagree. We do understand the display on Tesla. As noted above by @GWord , it is a constant wh/mi multiplied by remaining battery capacity. Many auto makers' "guess o meters" are complex algorithms that factor in all kinds of crap. Not Tesla's rated miles. The only thing in that formula that can change is Tesla's calculation of remaining battery capacity. There are occasionally bugs in that calculation, and over last 7 years, perhaps 2 or 3 software updates have "fixed" that calculation and thereby reset rated range.

There is a dynamic GOM in the car’s energy graph. You can select estimates based on your previous 5, 15 or 30 miles of driving.
Actually, there are 3 range projections:

1) Rated range - static calculation
2) Projected range based upon last 5, 15, or 30 miles of driving (shown on energy graph)
3) Projected remaining miles at destination (shown in energy app on trip graph window - only when nav destination set, and also shown at bottom of 'directions' inset on maps during navigation)

My assessment:

1) very valuable because a) it is static and predictable, and b) I've learned how to translate roughly to real range based upon what driving is ahead of me, conditions, and how I want to drive.
2) useless for me. Never use it.
3) takes into account elevation changes and actual consumption vs. its projections, so gets more accurate as trip progresses. I find this incredibly accurate, especially once you get 20 or 30 miles into a trip and your actual (i.e., speed, weather) get factored in!

There is a dynamic GOM in the car’s energy graph. You can select estimates based on your previous 5, 15 or 30 miles of driving.

That’s true, I was referring to the persistent battery icon on the screen. I should have been more specific.

Side note for potential buyers: Tesla has a truly excellent display of predicted and actual power consumption for easing range anxiety.

Reactions: dhanson865
Charged to 90 percent today. A 90 percent charge has consistently yielded 278 miles since the car was delivered in December. Today it increased to 285. On software 2019.20.2.1, which was downloaded about two weeks ago. What gives?

I received a marketing email from Tesla today titled "Exciting Tesla Pricing Updates!"

It advertised the Model 3 performance to have 345 miles of range. I have a feeling that it is an error in their email campaign. Here is a screenshot.

tesla-model-3-p-range.jpg

As a former 1st gen leaf owner That had the factory “guess o meter” I can say I am amazed at how accurate it is in my Model 3

I drive consistently, in the Leaf I had to really take it easy if I wanted range, the Tesla you don’t it is so fast and efficient.

My leaf said 160km range, best I ever saw highway was 100.

My standard plus is rated 385 km and I have seen 320 km highway with 50 left...AC on at 110km hr

Amazing
I had 4 Leafs over the last 10 years (still have 1), and was the national leader in distance obtained on a single charge for awhile. I agree that the Model 3 range indicator is much more accurate. I have driven my Model 3 down to 1 mile left on range and it was a very precise countown that matched actual driving distance, whereas the Leaf, below about 15 miles of range just stutters and stammers, sometimes saying we still have 8 miles after driving with that number shown for 3 miles, and then going to a flat line symbol. I also have never run out of juice in any EV.