Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D Range slowly declining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cells connected in parallel act as a single large cell. Tesla may be able to check the capacity of that parallel cell group. Others know more about how the actual BMS functions and what data it provides.

I suspect it's simpler than that. I suspect they're charging and discharging to known SOCs and comparing the voltages at each and correlating the known SOC vs voltage charge for that cell.

I am wondering if THE FIX is in... 7.1? See this thread guys ->>7.1 - range algorithm updated

I'm hoping too while I'm still waiting for my download.

...although I'm now preparing myself for some of the very techie, conspiracy theory, or almost-always sarcastic posters around here that will ask "How do you trust this new number vs the old one is fact, and Tesla isn't just hiding something having changed what is displayed to shut you-all up?" or say there could still be underlying problems this change may not resolve. ;) Ah, life on TMC. I'm glad I'm a little more of the trusting type until someone demonstrates I shouldn't be. AHAHAHA

Updated to V7.1 2.9.154 on my S90D just now. Began with a just-completed 90% charge and 250 Rated Range, performed the update while plugged into my HPWC, still 250 after the update. I will not have the opportunity to trip charge and use that for at least a few days. I will continue to log numbers and report back here if I begin to see any future improvement should any change take time to show itself.

Of note, with a first glance, there are no specifics regarding Rated Range or S90 called-out in my release notes. The notes are the same as what others have shared with 7.1 here in the US.

Updated to V7.1 2.9.154 on my S90D just now. Began with a just-completed 90% charge and 250 Rated Range, performed the update while plugged into my HPWC, still 250 after the update. I will not have the opportunity to trip charge and use that for at least a few days. I will continue to log numbers and report back here if I begin to see any future improvement should any change take time to show itself.

Of note, with a first glance, there are no specifics regarding Rated Range or S90 called-out in my release notes. The notes are the same as what others have shared with 7.1 here in the US.

FWIW, from a 90% overnight charge, after installing 7.1, I did a few quick errands, returned home, and just finished trip charging to 100% on my S90D, resulting in 279 Rated Range miles. I would hope to have something closer to 286 as a calculated 3-month-old S90 at 100% Charge, so we'll just have to see as time goes on if there were in fact any noticeable longer-term effects with 7.1 on a S90 or not. With these early indicators, I doubt it.

Going out now to burn off 10% of the charge (...and no, I don't plan to try to bring the charge down to close-to-nothing, to then bring it back up to 100% as some suspect we have to do. It is very evident something is going on under the covers for the last 25 minutes of that charge on an 80A circuit to get from 278 to 279 Rated Range miles. ;))

This is a nit but may be a helpful data point:

Since installing 7.1, my daily 90% charge appeared to decrease by 1. The notification on my iPhone states 254 for completion but the 90D display states 255 (the number I used to receive on my phone).

It may be nothing more than the anticipated range decline after one month. The iPhone notification that used to be 255 might have displayed 256 on the car. I never looked.

I consider it all rounding errors. My Tesla App and MS IC sometimes vary by 1 mile, and actually, the Tesla App may have gone up or down by 1 mile if I check it a second time a minute later. To me, it's just part of the screwy estimations Tesla is presenting in multiple places -- that hopefully one day become consistent no matter where you look at them, and they don't change within seconds of one another. ;)

I consider it all rounding errors. My Tesla App and MS IC sometimes vary by 1 mile, and actually, the Tesla App may have gone up or down by 1 mile if I check it a second time a minute later. To me, it's just part of the screwy estimations Tesla is presenting in multiple places -- that hopefully one day become consistent no matter where you look at them, and they don't change within seconds of one another. ;)

True. Not sure if you have the iOS app called Remote S. He's not updating it anymore (long story) but it's much more precise in its measurement of things like this.

FWIW: It's now been a week with 7.1 2.9.154. I declare this code did nothing for my S90D in terms of resolving the inaccurate S90 Rated Range display. I tried a single 100% charge as noted above, but even with last night's 90% charge after several days off the HPWC (just to see if that made a difference), I'm back at 250 rated range miles this morning ...and yes, our temperatures here have remained consistently moderate: daily mean 52-56F and low 45-51F.