Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D vs 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hell I did that on my Model X test drive. :) The Tesla guy in the passenger seat (a forum member here) did remind me that I was responsible for any tickets. :) And by "that" I mean the speed listed above, not the top speed. That would be rude. :)
Omg on a test drive?! I did that speed on a BMW z4 and some rental car years ago just for the heck of it. At both times I did not feel safe or comfortable with the cars ability to handle speeds beyond that number (specially the rental SUV). On the model X I am dead sure it will feel a lot different. From driving the S it's ridiculous how fast it hits 80-90mph.. Hence I should probably start budgeting for some speeding tickets too!

Last edited:
Omg on a test drive?! I did that speed on a BMW z4 and some rental car years ago just for the heck of it. At both times I did not feel safe or comfortable with the cars ability to handle speeds beyond that number (specially the rental SUV). On the model X I am dead sure it will feel a lot different. From driving the S it's ridiculous how far it hits 80-90mph.. Hence I should probably start budgeting for some speeding tickets too!
Not the top speed. Just barely into 3 digits. And it was way too easy! I was just coming up to highway speed... and accidentally went a little past that. :)

I am looking forward to getting into trouble in my Model 3. :) I do own a radar detector and normally use Waze, so I've got that going for me... which is nice.

Was able to switch to 75D before my 7 day deadline on my original 90D to become a hard order.
Glad I did it as i was able to add deep white leather seats as compared to 90D and still be 10.5K under
(both with AP and suspension).

SO I think it was worth it for me as I'd rather have leather seats than range.

Seems now like the base 75D is $83k as compared to $80k they charged me? so no so much savings and incentives
to go to 75D

FWIW, at the Meet the X event they (Tesla rep) told me that all leather seats (including the synthetic ultra white) are perforated, with the only exception of "multipattern" cloth ones. Regardless of PUP or not.

I am waiting for someone to post the non premium white synethic leather seat pictures and videos. I would like to assume those are exactly the same as the permit white seats except for the perforations and ventialtion motors. Anyone know details?

• Helpful
Reactions: vrykolas
Here's my take on the 75D versus the 90D. Keep in mind that my Model X will be my first EV and I don't own it yet (my order will confirm on Wednesday). You should put in the biggest battery you can afford because it gives you options. Today your needs might be perfectly met by a 75D and tomorrow they might not be. Or that epic road trip where you limp into a supercharger on fumes with your 90D but the 75D would have had to stop to non-supercharger charge for a few hours messing with your plans. It lets you skip a supercharger from time to time. I feel the same way about the 75amp charger upgrade. Will I use it a lot? No. Will it give me possibilities when I'm up a crick with a paddle? Yes

That's my 2 cents on the issue. Of course your opinion may vary, but that's mine.

FWIW, at the Meet the X event they (Tesla rep) told me that all leather seats (including the synthetic ultra white) are perforated, with the only exception of "multipattern" cloth ones. Regardless of PUP or not.
I doubt it, please see this Twitter exchange with Elon. He goes on to say better to not have vented seats with kids. I believe vented implies perforated and non perforated seats map to non PUP. I would love to be wrong, the perforated seats do look awesome.
Screenshot_20160417-171527.png

Not sure vented begets perforations- vented seats are only in the front, while the 2nd row is also perforated in the cars I've seen. Didn't pay attention to the 3rd row, but I'm sure there are pics out there. I asked the staff specifically about perforations on the non-PUP subzero seats and they said they are all perforated - except cloth/multipattern. I have kids and did see that tweet from Elon also. Still went with the ultra white :cool:

I doubt it, please see this Twitter exchange with Elon. He goes on to say better to not have vented seats with kids. I believe vented implies perforated and non perforated seats map to non PUP. I would love to be wrong, the perforated seats do look awesome. View attachment 172714

FWIW, I love my Ultra White seats. Very glad to have chosen them so far. We'll see about durability, but they're great right now.

Same here.. I love our white seats. We have developed one small crease in the driver seat (not that noticeable), but besides that they look amazing after a month. I'm hoping they'll continue to look this good and feel this good--they are so soft.

Ohmman do you think you have the seats fitted with stronger backing material? Elon had replied to my tweets saying that would be done free of cost (see my signature for reference).
Since I never felt the first generation, I don't know if I'm part of that category or if I have "backed" ones. They feel strong enough to the touch, but without comparing them I can't tell.

Here's my take on the 75D versus the 90D. Keep in mind that my Model X will be my first EV and I don't own it yet (my order will confirm on Wednesday). You should put in the biggest battery you can afford because it gives you options. Today your needs might be perfectly met by a 75D and tomorrow they might not be. Or that epic road trip where you limp into a supercharger on fumes with your 90D but the 75D would have had to stop to non-supercharger charge for a few hours messing with your plans. It lets you skip a supercharger from time to time. I feel the same way about the 75amp charger upgrade. Will I use it a lot? No. Will it give me possibilities when I'm up a crick with a paddle? Yes

That's my 2 cents on the issue. Of course your opinion may vary, but that's mine.
Here my take on why I decided to "downgrade":

1-First I have 2 years driving on an EV (Ford Focus) only 23kwh battery and 60-80 mile range and I learnt quickly to live with this limitation. I think I used my ICE car a handful of times because I did not want to wait for it to charge (3 hours) . Monthly average is 1500 miles.

2-My daily options for chargers:
Two J1772 7KW at home and nearby so I guess it will take 10+ hours to charge although I am pretty sure I can get 40+ amps out of the existing circuit. Not much sense for me to want the 75 amp charger upgrade given the two chargers I already invested in.

A Tesla supercharger down the road next to a lunch place I go a few times a week anyhow.

Tons of J1772 level 2 chargers.

3-My epic road trip is to drive from Tesla factory to my house which is a 2800 mile trip.
Using the trip planner at evtripplanner.com and plugging a 85D vs 70D model S (no X model planning is available) I see only a 2 hour total trip time difference (approximately 55 hours). This is using Tesla Superchargers only.

In summary I could probably live with a 60D model!

Hi there. This is my first post after many months reading and learning about the MS and MX here. Thanks for all the great information so far!

I believe this question is on topic but if it isn't, please let me know and I'll start a new thread. I'm trying to figure out if I should down grade to the 75D instead of the 90D as I'm seeing in Design Studio that the base price is $80k and not $83k.

I put my $5k deposit down on a MX the weekend before the Design Studio was made public to everyone so I'm thinking that I'm getting the same experience others who put down/reserved previously. I'm confused what is the right price; the extra $3k is enough of a difference that I'm thinking of going 75D. However, my owner advisor and the person I spoke to at HQ gave me conflicting information. The HQ rep claims that the base price has indeed gone up $83k and that there is no such provision of grandfathering the old price; even though my Design Studio and what I've read on here says otherwise. My 7th day is tomorrow (4/19) so I'm running out of time to decide before I'll have to pay the $500 change fee.

1) Does anyone have word from Tesla that if you reserved before last Tuesday you will save the $3k base price increase on the 75D?
2) Are there any other advantages to the 90D other than 0-60, 20 mile EPA range, quick supercharger times, better battery degradation coverage when the car is older (3+ years old)?

I'm thinking a MX with Midnight Silver, base wheels, all packages except PUP and towing including the 72 AMP charger. I'm still torn between Ultra White or the Base seats.

Thanks for your help!

my 7th day was 4/15 and I did get the 80k base (I downgraded on the 7th day) The bill reflected that amount and no-one at Tesla asked me for more. I a pretty sure you are safe (as like me you are before the DS went public and put 5k down a while back)

Just enter the order and you'll get the 80k. you can always go back to the 90D if that is not the case until tomorrow.

Reactions: Stasla
Model X Timeline - From Prototype to Production

According to our first confirmed non-Premium delivery yesterday:
- Tan Leather seats feel fine so far (non-perforated)

I would assume our white seats non-PUP style will also be non-perforated, but we'll see as soon as a white one comes along.

Actually there is someone with the white interior non-premium. Has yet to reply to questions about perforation. I'm eagerly anticipating the response.

+1 here

If you have no particular need for what the 90D offers (see further up this thread) this is an amazing opportunity to get 75D at $3000 off.

my 7th day was 4/15 and I did get the 80k base (I downgraded on the 7th day) The bill reflected that amount and no-one at Tesla asked me for more. I a pretty sure you are safe (as like me you are before the DS went public and put 5k down a while back)

Just enter the order and you'll get the 80k. you can always go back to the 90D if that is not the case until tomorrow.