Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D with 5 seats confirmed for nearly 2 months. What's going on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't car have single occupant 100% of time?

I hope not! Let's hope a car always has an occupant when it is in motion. But, if you are sleeping in the car, or sitting in the car when it is in the garage, or lounging in the car when you are at work, or out to lunch or dinner, perhaps it would be time to disengage from that lifestyle choice and consider more expansive and diverse locations than a vehicle to occupy.

Reactions: beths11
I received yet another call from Tesla last week, the purpose of which was, yet again, to suggest that I switch my order from a 5 seat to a 6 or 7 seat model. The first call I received a month ago offered an incentive of a $2K discount. This most recent call offered the incentive of a 50% reduction of the price increase for, that the cost of the 6 or 7 seat upgrade. I declined, and had an extended discussion about the reason for the 5 seat delays, and the estimated date the 5 seater would start being available.
I received few direct answers, but did get word that there were a substantial number of outstanding orders for 5 seat versions, that delivery would be unlikely to start in 2016, and most surprisingly, the Tesla representative could not say whether the 5 seat version would have fold down rear seats.
If Tesla attempts to fulfill early 5 seat deliveries with vehicles that do not have fold down rear seats, Tesla will wind up seeing those orders cancelled. There is no one who wants a 5 seat version with rear seats that do not fold down.

I received few direct answers, but did get word that there were a substantial number of outstanding orders for 5 seat versions, that delivery would be unlikely to start in 2016, and most surprisingly, the Tesla representative could not say whether the 5 seat version would have fold down rear seats.
If Tesla attempts to fulfill early 5 seat deliveries with vehicles that do not have fold down rear seats, Tesla will wind up seeing those orders cancelled. There is no one who wants a 5 seat version with rear seats that do not fold down.

I doubt that the 5-seat version will have fold down rear seats.

That would require an entirely new bench design, which adds complexity to the supply chain and would probably also require new crash testing.

• Informative
Reactions: TacC
I doubt that the 5-seat version will have fold down rear seats.

That would require an entirely new bench design, which adds complexity to the supply chain and would probably also require new crash testing.

But this long delay (over a year's wait for the five seater) could well be explained by a redesign of the second row - either just for the five-seater (perhaps a fixed-in-place bench that folds but does not move) or indeed for the entire Model X going forward from thereon. There is less need for a moving mono-pole second row in a five seater (indeed the current design might even be problematic for a five-seater as it stands) and if they are having trouble with a folding second row in the mono-pole format, having a five-seater use some other type of second row that folds could be a workaroud... or they are close to solving the folding second row and will wait for that before unleashing the five-seater...

I seriously doubt this long delay is just about a new trunk floor panels for non-third-row cars. Not installing a third row and having a new floor panel made is not very hard and should not be cause for a year+ delay. On the other hand, a new rear seat-design with the mandatory crash testing etc. would be a far more plausible cause for delay. Of course, it is possible there is a new bench design that won't fold completely, but it seems plausible some bigger change is in the air in any case.

My earlier speculation: Any guesses when MX 75D, 5 Seat, Coil...

What else could realistically explain the long delay, if not some re-design of the rear seating for the five-seater?

Let's give credit where credit is due in so far as my conversation last week with the Tesla representative. When discussing the fold down rear seat issue on the 5 seat Model X version, she repeatedly assured me that Tesla intended to take into account the opinions of its customers who preferred the 5 seat version of the Model X, and also that Tesla was currently testing the 5 seat design. I took the word "testing" to encompass crash and safety factors, not merely interior design factors. Nevertheless, she could not say whether the seats would fold down. She attributed that, and I did as well, to the fact that she was part of the Tesla sales and delivery team, and not part of the mechanical design and engineering team. So what do we have? We have the troubling fact that the engineering team has not yet put together a design that has been finalized to the point that it can be communicated to the sales team. But, let's give Tesla credit. First, they like nice surprises. We all do. Second, they have produced wonderful cars with very sophisticated designs. They are not timid with their design objectives, they are not dumb enough, or irresponsible enough, to attempt to sell their "wonderful and sophisticated" buyers 5 seat Model X cars with rear seats that do not fold down. After all, Tesla has the same culture as Space X, and Space X safely landed the spent first stage of a Falcon 9 rocket on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean. How about that?

I got call from Tesla too! We agreed that my delivery will take place on February 2017.

I hope that the excitement reflected by your exclamation point is justified.

Full disclosure: I was told in March that my 5 seat Model X would be delivered by the end of June. Then I was told in July that my 5 seat Model X would be delivered by "the end of the year." I joked in response, "which year?" The response was a friendly laugh, accompanied by "probably this November or December." I asked: "more likely November or more likely December?" The reply: "more likely December."

The moral of the story: I am sure they are trying their very best, but they don't really know. I'm waiting out the process with a sympathetic perspective.

Might have another scenario here.

It has been mentioned that Tesla is working on a Van that is built on the Model X chassis.

It might just be that that design will feature fold down seats (Makes sense in that configuration)

Perhaps that cargo van seating will end up in the Model X 5 seater.

Makes a lot of sense, considering the delaying tatics of Tesla.

Believe they want their customers happy, that while the delay is uncomfortable, maybe they have decided that this option is what many SUV owners are desiring.

I received another call from Tesla, a response to my request during my conversation with the Tesla representative who called last week, that someone call me who could give me a reasonable explanation about why manufacture of the 5 seat Model X version has lagged behind the 6 and 7 seat version. The explanation was convincing. The 6 and 7 seat versions use the same basic location, structure, and design for the middle row seats. That produces the limited leg room for the middle row seats. The 5 seat version is being designed to have more leg room, a different support system, fold down ability, and interior changes to accommodate the adjusted location for the middle row. In other words, as usual, an ambitious plan that will deliver on all counts. Tesla gets credit. I considered the conversation very positive.

I received another call from Tesla, a response to my request during my conversation with the Tesla representative who called last week, that someone call me who could give me a reasonable explanation about why manufacture of the 5 seat Model X version has lagged behind the 6 and 7 seat version. The explanation was convincing. The 6 and 7 seat versions use the same basic location, structure, and design for the middle row seats. That produces the limited leg room for the middle row seats. The 5 seat version is being designed to have more leg room, a different support system, fold down ability, and interior changes to accommodate the adjusted location for the middle row. In other words, as usual, an ambitious plan that will deliver on all counts. Tesla gets credit. I considered the conversation very positive.
Is this actually confirmation of folding seats??? This is huge.

Not only huge, it's contrary to recent reports on these forums (sorry, I searched but can't find it now) from a "high-level Tesla employee" that supposedly confirmed - though anonymously, so apply your credibility factor - that there were no plans to develop folding seats. (Which I found disappointing, as it was what I was waiting for. I had canceled my Model X reservation because of the lack of folding seats). So it would be great to learn more about this if possible.

I understand that Tesla doesn't want to talk about folding seats, because they don't want people to wait for something they don't have yet. But not talking about something is different than saying it will never come.

Developing folding seats is by far the most-logical-sounding reason I've heard for the 5-seater delay...

Last edited:
Who did you speak with at Tesla that confirmed the folding seats?

Who did you speak with at Tesla that confirmed the folding seats?

He said his name was Chris. He made a point of saying "we intend to do it right." When I hung up, the name reminded me of a possible backstory on why the 5 seat Model X is delayed: Chris Porritt, former vice president of vehicle engineering at Tesla, now works at Apple. It may well have been Porritt's departure from Tesla that disrupted the engineering process for the 5 seat Model X (pure, total speculation). But take a look at the long, long list of seat related jobs currently offered at Tesla. They clearly have had to play some catch up.
Search for Jobs | Tesla
At this point in my 5 seat saga, I am inclined to believe "they intend to do it right." I don't mind the wait, and when I get the itch to drive a Tesla, I sneak off with my wife's Model S and drive it to Whole Foods under the pretext that we need some avocados and clementines. That's where most of those blasted 6 and 7 seat Model X's are parked in my neighborhood.

They have started to deliver new top versions of Model S with the Model X seat, could this mean that they are trying to develop a back seat that could fit both Model X and Model S or is it to big difference in the cars to share back seat?