Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

95% charge to use Ludicrous Mode???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Just saw this article from a Porsche Exec (link below) saying Tesla's Ludicrous Mode is a farce because you can only use it with a 95% or above SOC??
So essentially you can only do two or three 0-60 mph runs in ludicrous mode after a full charge and then it is disabled!

First I have ever heard of this.
Is this true guys?
Pretty disappointing if so.
Surely Tesla could allow Ludicrous Mode down to 75% SOC of charge at least?
Hope you all can clarify.

Thanks
Ted

Porsche Manager Reportedly Calls Tesla's Ludicrous Mode a "Facade"

The thing about Ludicrous is that you're basically 'red-lining' the battery... the difference between insane and ludicrous is smart fuses that lets the inverter safely draw more current from the battery. Power is Current x Voltage so if you've tapped out how much current you can draw then anything less than 100% SOC is going to give slightly less Power... that's simple physics. If those statements from Porsche are true then they're 'nerfing' their car at higher SOCs. If you power limit then you could get more power at a higher SOC... if you current limit then your peak power output is going to drop slightly as the battery is used...

There's also A LOT of future tense words in that article... time will tell... the P90D exists.... that really helps its credibility ;)

So then it is true? You have to have a 95%+ SOC to use ludicrous mode?

Does that mean you have to program a "full 100%" charge from the battery first?
From what I have heard this isn't great for the battery either as charging only to 80% is best unless you are going long distance and really need that extra 20%?

How many 0-60 mph ludicrous runs can you get from 100% to 95% SOC?

I have been following Tesla for a long time and always just assumed ludicrous mode would always be available if the car still had a charge in it but guess I should have known better.

Funny this is never mentioned in any reviews, etc.
Bit disappointing I must say.
What sort of acceleration is available below 95% SOC?
It's kind of like telling a Ferrari driver you only get 0-60 mph in 3 secs if your fuel tank is 95%+ full. Otherwise it's a Honda Civic.
Don't think I'd pay $100k + for that.
Not a troll..been a huge Tesla fan forever.
This is just very surprising to me!

Last edited:
..been a huge Tesla fan forever.
This is just very surprising to me!

Also, shockingly, Tesla recommend that before a launch the brakes should be slightly warm too.

I know! OMG! I read that and was just VERY SURPRISED!! Mind. Blown.

But then you know this. A "huge fan" such as yourself will have Googled the manual.

Because: Fan. Also: Huge

No? Oh okay - you've been busy. No biggie.

Here you go. Knock yourself out.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d..._7.1_das_ap_north_america_r20160112_en_us.pdf

Spoiler alert: you need pages 60 and 97.

Enjoy/feign surprise. Your call.

P.s. Autopilot has limitations too - see page 67.

The Porsche statement sounds like BS. I have not seen any mention of this from owners or media tests.

However, if you want to win a drag race you will want to have your SOC to be as high or higher than your opponent.

Best way to get exact answers is to buy a P90DL and take it your local drag strip, and make runs at various SOC values. Best to get an experienced driver to minimize differences between runs.

GSP

@teddyg
You can engage Ludicrous at any charge. I leave mine on all the time. When I go drag racing I turn on Maximum battery to heat the battery for 5 to 20 minutes but you do not have to. Actually 100% charge gives you a slower time. The optimum is between 87% and 94%. I lose about 2% between each run and below 87% each run is slightly slower but you can make 40+ runs.

Thanks NSX and Sorka that answers some of my questions.
So ludicrous mode isn't disabled once you drop below 95% SOC it just may not be as crazy fast once you do.

The Porsche exec made it seem like once you dropped below 95% you could no longer use ludicrous mode.
I hadn't read that anywhere else before so I thought there could be some BS involved.
Good to know for sure. Glad I came to this forum to get it straight.

Malcolm...try to dial down the arrogance a bit. Some of us are actually looking for helpful advice from people on this forum who could be considered Tesla experts.
I said I was a huge Tesla fan, not a geek who is going to read the entire manual just for kicks when I don't even own the car. That's why I came to this forum, to set the record straight quickly from those who know.
Do you go and read all the medical text books when you aren't feeling well, or do you simply go to your doctor for a diagnosis?
Same deal here buddy. Thanks.

P.s. I do hope to get my hands on a Model 3 soon.
Will definately read that manual when I do ;-)
Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
It is absolutely BS that you can’t use Ludicrous on lower levels of battery. I’ve used mine (P90D) as low as 20 percent, and I notice no difference in performance.

I’ve also done six launches in a row without any battery heat warning.

It’s also BS that Tesla tyres cost so much, I just put two brand-new 21 inch front Michelins on for less than $1000 (Australian) - the price is the same as for any performance car with low profile tyres.

Here are a few facts which can help put things in perspective:

1) A P90D in Ludicrous mode has almost the same performance from 83% to 100% charge (between 451Kw and 453Kw)

2) A P90D in Ludicrous at 50% charge will have about the same performance as a P85D in Insane at 100% charge

3) A Porsche will lose about 10 HP when running with a 1/4 tank of gas vs a full tank. It will add about 0.1 second to
the 0-60 time. To get the same amount of performance reduction with a P90D ludicrous, the SOC would be 75%.

4) So I guess a Porsche 0-60 performance is also a "Facade" since it requires less than a 1/4 tank to get the best time.

Additional data showing the Tesla performance vs SOC% was posted here:

Max Power vs State of Charge and Temp

Here are a few facts which can help put things in perspective:

1) A P90D in Ludicrous mode has almost the same performance from 83% to 100% charge (between 451Kw and 453Kw)

2) A P90D in Ludicrous at 50% charge will have about the same performance as a P85D in Insane at 100% charge

3) A Porsche will lose about 10 HP when running with a 1/4 tank of gas vs a full tank. It will add about 0.1 second to
the 0-60 time. To get the same amount of performance reduction with a P90D ludicrous, the SOC would be 75%.

4) So I guess a Porsche 0-60 performance is also a "Facade" since it requires less than a 1/4 tank to get the best time.

Additional data showing the Tesla performance vs SOC% was posted here:

Max Power vs State of Charge and Temp

Very good data to have.

This
Just saw this article from a Porsche Exec (link below) saying Tesla's Ludicrous Mode is a farce because you can only use it with a 95% or above SOC??
This is the Porsche party line. I was at the local Porsche dealer about a week ago talking about replacing my BMW i3, I didn't even tell the sales guy I owned a Tesla. As soon as as he heard "electric" and had nothing on the lot to sell me, I got a 20min lecture, with graphics, pictures, Powerpoint presentation, etc. about the Mission E "Tesla killer". Porsche is very very sensitive to the fact that Tesla has such strong performance numbers. The sales guy dished out lots of smack about Tesla, not realizing that I owned one; I didn't push back, I wanted to hear him unload.

In 2020 the Mission E will be a $150K car, so it will be their performance leader at the top of the product line, priced roughly the same as fully loaded 911, really not competing with Tesla at all. But it will allow Porsche to regain their performance claims in the "not a supercar" (i.e., Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo, etc.) category that they owned for a long time. In the interim Porsche is going to throw a lot of dirt up in the air to distract people because clearly the MS is taking sales away from Porsche, at a time when VW is already hurting badly over their diesel fiasco.

Malcolm...try to dial down the arrogance a bit. Some of us are actually looking for helpful advice from people on this forum who could be considered Tesla experts.
I said I was a huge Tesla fan, not a geek who is going to read the entire manual just for kicks when I don't even own the car. That's why I came to this forum, to set the record straight quickly from those who know.
Do you go and read all the medical text books when you aren't feeling well, or do you simply go to your doctor for a diagnosis?

Nope I just took the time to read through your posting history.

Creepy? I can't deny it. But always useful.

teddyg

This

This is the Porsche party line. I was at the local Porsche dealer about a week ago talking about replacing my BMW i3, I didn't even tell the sales guy I owned a Tesla. As soon as as he heard "electric" and had nothing on the lot to sell me, I got a 20min lecture, with graphics, pictures, Powerpoint presentation, etc. about the Mission E "Tesla killer". Porsche is very very sensitive to the fact that Tesla has such strong performance numbers. The sales guy dished out lots of smack about Tesla, not realizing that I owned one; I didn't push back, I wanted to hear him unload.

In 2020 the Mission E will be a $150K car, so it will be their performance leader at the top of the product line, priced roughly the same as fully loaded 911, really not competing with Tesla at all. But it will allow Porsche to regain their performance claims in the "not a supercar" (i.e., Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo, etc.) category that they owned for a long time. In the interim Porsche is going to throw a lot of dirt up in the air to distract people because clearly the MS is taking sales away from Porsche, at a time when VW is already hurting badly over their diesel fiasco.
So the dealer is telling you that Mission E will come out in 2020 and they are already hard-selling you the car?

Porsche will be super late if Mission E launch in 2020. By that time, Maximum Plaid would be out already and possibly beat even the Porsche Turbo S (their second fastest car except their $1 million 918 hyper car).

By the way, $150k only get you a mid-range 911 nowadays, just base price. If you fully load a Porsche Turbo S, you are talking about high 200s.