Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A College Student Rebuilding a Salvage Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just checked, yes single charger and the drive unit exists.

Aren't you intending to transfer the electronics from the P85 over to that very same shell?

good, you are in luck then.

I'm referring to the P85 that was hit in the front, it would be a simple cut of the driver front frame rail and weld a new one on. All the panels are intact, body is good minus hood and front bumper

Last edited:
Interesting thread! I was at a event with my Tesla when a guy came up aggressively badmouthing Tesla.
It seams he bought a damaged Tesla with a salvage title. The car had little damage and he easily restored the car in looks and operation. He drove the car and it seemed to be fine, but when he went to charge it would not. He claimed Tesla had turned the car off and wanted $25,000. to inspect the car and reauthorize it. He claimed he was going to sue. I have heard nothing sense.
Is there any truth to this? What have others experienced.

My car was hit in December. Left rear fender was replaced at a Tesla certified repair station, $11K paid by offenders insurance. The only issue I had with Tesla was a two month delay in parts shipment.

Interesting thread! I was at a event with my Tesla when a guy came up aggressively badmouthing Tesla [because of the salvage title status].

Since it takes significant technical knowledge to own/operate a salvage title Tesla, this would be a good reason not to sell it.

Plus, AC induction motors have life expectancy in the range of 15+ years...
Hood hinges are reinforced by a very fragile rivet that will break and allow hood to move to make injury less severe. Additionaly, they made cars equipped with accident avoidance, car will slow itself down if it thinks it will crash. This will make an accident less severe so there will be less chance of an injury to both parties in event of an accident. (Even if a tesla is involved in a crash with Toyota)

Good thing the hood is undamaged then, eh?

As for accident avoidance, I will look into what is necessary to make that work when I get there, you guys are complaining about stuff that is months upon months away. I don't even have diagnostics access yet and you're worried about framework that is going to be completed something like near the end of the project"

The area where your front door mounts, that looks all bent and damaged.

Not sure if I will or will not do something about that, at the moment not worrying about it until I have diagnostics & cleared all faults. It's at that point I will begin more significant mechanical analysis and determine whether a shell swap or repair is the better choice.

What I'm saying is when the entire side of the car bends in it will make distance between the roof and floor smaller. In other words bending the B-pillar will make it shorter. Since it is riveted and glued both to the roof and the rocker it will pull down on the roof and pull up on the floor and the rocker. Pulling up on the rocker compromises its position to properly brace the battery in case of the impact. I'm sure it moved a very small amount, but I can guarantee that it moved.

We'll take that into consideration when designing the repair if that route is taken.

good, you are in luck then.

I'm referring to the P85 that was hit in the front, it would be a simple cut of the driver front frame rail and weld a new one on. All the panels are intact, body is good minus hood and front bumper

When I get to the point of worrying about the body work I'll consider it.

giphy.gif

If BTRs got popcorn, you know there's extra salt.

I'd love to read a blog post on this process.
Had to sign some non-disclosure documents with Tesla so can't really talk about it. All I will say it was a very long process and with the tools and knowledge that I have now I will probably not do it again. Process took almost 6 mo but granted I did have some complications. Should of taken about a month if everything would of went right.

All black listed cars will move under their own power if repaired correctly. Problem is people have no tools or diagnostic equipment to repair them correctly so when car does not turn on due to some malfunction they are very quick to blame Tesla for turning the car off. Ingineer and I have dealt with quite a few salvage vehicles some of which were blacklisted and when repaired properly they were are drivable without tesla's certification.

The B pillar is one of the few structures on the car that is HSS (High-Strength Steel) rather than aluminum. It joins to the aluminum with fasteners and structural adhesive and is clearly a highly FEA'd part.

Even if you don't care about the quality of the repair, does that mean you will crush the car when you are done with it? What if you die in an accidental electrocution and your estate sells the car off to a young family?

To be clear, just because I don't agree with Tesla's standards, does NOT mean that I do not care about the quality of the repair.

If I did not care about the quality of the repair, I wouldn't take the time and effort to do a FEA on the proposed repairs in relevant software, or consult with people who have expertise in the relevant sub-field of engineering.

Actually, it is. Many states require receipts for new airbags before a salvage vehicle is allowed to be legally driven on the road. By restricting the sale of the airbags, they prevent salvage cars from being put back on the road without being properly repaired.

My state is one such state, and I can tell you no it does not and this project will act as my proof.

Just got off the phone with my state's salvage inspector asking him about airbag repair requirements.

-Used airbags that were undeployed from a VIN that is not marked as a stolen vehicle are OK.

So at worst we have a scavenger hunt.

-Re-purposing airbags from another manufacturer is something that he's never been asked before so he is asking people higher on the food chain for their input on the proposal.

If this works, then I can use this until I find the relevant used airbag or Tesla wises up and unconditionally sells airbags.

As I said earlier, denying people access to new airbags is not going to prevent salvage vehicles from getting on the road it only will make salvage vehicles more dangerous and the problem worse.

There are also loopholes in titling laws that make it possible to make the car in its present condition legal to drive in some states... Which is infuriatingly disturbing to learn of and incredibly unethical in my view.

I am not saying I will do this, I am simply refuting the effectiveness of a parts ban by pointing out the existence of these titling loopholes.

Last edited:
Even if you don't care about the quality of the repair, does that mean you will crush the car when you are done with it? What if you die in an accidental electrocution and your estate sells the car off to a young family?

So now hypothetical dead me is supposedly held responsible for the actions of the living? Seriously, WTF?

I'll figure out where I stand on the matter of "Is this ethical to sell to anyone else?" when the bodywork is said and done. We could speculate endlessly about the damage, but again we're getting way ahead of ourselves here. I gotta get the car driving first.

I got about two pages into this thread. Very interesting. However, Tesla will never activate this car. If the title has been branded salvage, then Tesla has disabled it and no amount of repairing will wake it and Tesla will not activate it unless it was repaired to their standards.

Well I realized quite some time ago I was wrong to berate you, and if the best way to right that wrong is to start my own thread and open myself to my share of criticisms/the wrath of the community for my own salvage rebuild then so be it.
So when you had this "Eureka!" moment some time ago, did you apologize to btr? It wasn't until the haters came out you had this change of heart.

To be clear, just because I don't agree with Tesla's standards, does NOT mean that I do not care about the quality of the repair.

If I did not care about the quality of the repair, I wouldn't take the time and effort to do a FEA on the proposed repairs in relevant software, or consult with people who have expertise in the relevant sub-field of engineering.
I assume the free consultation doesn't hurt either?

• Disagree
Reactions: satoshi
So when you had this "Eureka!" moment some time ago, did you apologize to btr? It wasn't until the haters came out you had this change of heart.

I started to in a PM, but he stated it was water under the bridge, which indicated to me he wanted to move on. Then again, I really don't feel you have any business to be asking these questions though.

Furthermore, doing so in private still would leave the matter unresolved in the public eye.

Then also, there really isn't much of a way I could have avoided this happening because a good majority of people on here (or the internet) don't even read half the posts to completion anyway. Only real choice is to just wait for it to happen, and enjoy the show.

The only surprising thing is that a lot of really useful information for the design of the repair came with the discussion.

I assume the free consultation doesn't hurt either?

PSSSSSSH... Do you know how much tuition costs!? I am merely taking advantage of the resources I already paid for.

Then also, I'm sure if you went to your local university's professor's office hours and asked questions they'd be happy to answer or point you in the direction of resources/books.

Last edited: