Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A few things I think Tesla could have done better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the Model Y. Best car I've ever had and wouldn't trade it for anything other than maybe a Model X.
For me, it's still sort of insane that it doesn't have. Of course, some are more insane than others:

Apple Car Play
Built in HomeLink that works 100% of the time when pulling in forward or backward like every other car across every budget
BSM in the side mirrors
Cross traffic sensing
Waze
Waypoint navigation
Mechanical glove box button
Remote Sentry mode access via smart phone
The dollar store sun visors and crappy magnetic mirror cover are truly embarrassing

*I also hate that the rear passenger weight sensor doesn't deactivate when the rear seats are folded down, so you get a persistent yet intermittent seat belt warning on the screen when you have something heavy ish but not as heavy as a human across the folded down seats. This may be the most annoying thing about the car.

I love the Model Y. Best car I've ever had and wouldn't trade it for anything other than maybe a Model X.
For me, it's still sort of insane that it doesn't have. Of course, some are more insane than others:

Apple Car Play
Built in HomeLink that works 100% of the time when pulling in forward or backward like every other car across every budget
BSM in the side mirrors
Cross traffic sensing
Waze
Waypoint navigation
The dollar store sun visors and crappy magnetic mirror cover are truly embarrassing

*I also hate that the rear passenger weight sensor doesn't deactivate when the rear seats are folded down, so you get a persistent yet intermittent seat belt warning on the screen when you have something heavy ish but not as heavy as a human across the folded down seats. This may be the most annoying thing about the car.
Car play. I like it but I dont think we will ever see it in a Tesla since their nav is so integrated with level of charge/supercharging stations etc.
Homelink - Agreed its crazy that isnt included.
Cross traffic and BSM may come someday via a software update using the cameras.
Waze - Never happen see car play (personally I hate waze)
Waypoints - Elon said this is coming, who knows when though.

While this shouldn't happen in the first place, FYI you can press and hold the seatbelt icon and disable the alert with the child seat button.

• AutoPilot:
    • It would be nice to be able to adjust the centering of the car in the lane. When traveling on minor roads with only two lanes the oncoming traffic seem very close when we meet. I would like to trim the lane centering to be a little closer to the white line.
Completely agree with this, though funny mine is the opposite. It stays/drives WAY too far right in the lane. So much so that I get the little warning lines around the right side of the car as I pass people. Ridiculous.
  • No Apple CarPlay
  • No BSM in side view mirrors
  • No Cross Traffic sensing for parking lot backing
These all chafe especially when they're standard on $25k shitboxes (I just rented a total POS Jeep something or other that had all of these).
Waze
Waypoint navigation
These are others I too would very much appreciate.

Reactions: Daekwan
Not sure how anyone could hate Waze, do you enjoy getting speeding tickets ?! Jeez. Im not crazy about its map interface but Its 1,000x more valuable to know where the damn traps are. Pretty fundamental in a car that runs 11s in the 1/4 mile.
I hate Waze because it sucks, some of the routes it has taken me “around” traffic have been bizzare and not time saving at all sometimes making things worse. I find Google maps to be much better. As far as speeding tickets go, let’s just say that’s not an issue for me…

Do the cars that have BSM and Cross Traffic use radar for those features or ultrasound? If radar that could explain Tesla not having them.
All cars I've driven in with rear cross traffic alert use radars. Usually the same pair of radars mounted in the rear left/right side which pick up fast approaching cars for blind spot detection.

For front cross traffic alerts BMW may use the 2 front side cameras.

Not sure how anyone could hate Waze, do you enjoy getting speeding tickets ?! Jeez. Im not crazy about its map interface but Its 1,000x more valuable to know where the damn traps are. Pretty fundamental in a car that runs 11s in the 1/4 mile.

IDK if its just my region, but Waze became junk about 5 years ago. Speed trap and road hazard notifications are maybe 10% accurate at best.

Apple Car Play
BSM in the side mirrors
Cross traffic sensing
Waze
Waypoint navigation

that’s funny - I actually really like the sun visors. I like the magnetic catch on the roof instead of a clip, the mirror cover works like an iPad cover, and I really like that it can be extended all the way to the AP camera housing where the sun can’t come through that gap.

although maybe it’s because the sun visors on my S are essentially useless…

Hahah true. However the difference between 35 mph and 50 mph is how much caffeine the coffee blend had in it. Literally takes nothing to wind up with a massive ticket. Still getting used to this car (and plus I may be having waaaay too much fun with it). Why bother with a performance car if you arent...

Google bought Waze a while back and integrated the traffic and police data into google maps. In my previous car, I always preferred to just use google maps because I liked the routing and it had the benefit of the waze speed trap notifications. Waze always bothered me with "something on the roadway" notifications when there was never anything there.

Reactions: doomsday997
...and just like that, there're already sold out.

messages_0 (1).png