Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Model S caught fire while supercharging in Norway (link in Norwegian)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course this is serious and I hope Tesla quickly figures out what happened. But to add to the chorus of "why don't ICE fires get more attention," check out these links. Obviously they made the press or I couldn't share links, but they certainly didn't get the scrutiny that any Tesla mishap gets: from 2014, "New 2015 GMC Yukon catches fire during test drive" New 2015 GMC Yukon catches fire during test drive; from last month, "Ford's New 2016 Everest Destroyed by Fire During Australian Test Drive" http://www.carscoops.com/2015/12/fords-new-2016-everest-destroyed-by.html; from 2012, "Watch a $376,000 Lamborghini Burn to the Ground on a Test Drive" Watch A $376,000 Lamborghini Burn To The Ground On A Test Drive. Amazing that new ICE cars burning up during test drives gets so little attention.

As a Norwegian speaker, I can say the statement from the police went about 95% of the way there to ruling out fault with the supercharger. What the statements didn't completely rule out were more complex faults, as well as situations where the supercharger was involved, but working as intended (like if the HVJB overheated while supercharging).

Couple of tidbits that might be useful.

We had one cars center screen just die during driving, my customer called me and I called Tesla. They started to check and saw that the car had stopped communicating at the time of the console dying. That tells to me that the car is talking to tesla pretty much nona-stop, what though is hard to guess.

we were debugging a CHAdeMO charging issue with Tesla today and my car was in developer mode, got to see some pretty interesting stuff, most of which I can't say much about ;) but, the charge port and adapter and all the cables and junctions had temperature reports in the console screen. So those temperatures are monitored and logged and possibly could have been beamed out during the incident.

Just my $0.02

The car pings "mothership" a lot via the VPN, and Tesla can easily see when it's connected and disconnected. Not too telling on topic.

<snip>the charge port and adapter and all the cables and junctions had temperature reports in the console screen. So those temperatures are monitored and logged and possibly could have been beamed out during the incident.

That's the real question, though - does the car have programming to realize it's about to die and flush all of the data out on a priority basis so Tesla has it to debug with, or did the very useful diagnostic data die with the car?
Walter

As far as I know, all modern cars, at least the ones sold in North America, have a black box. What I don't know is what's recorded in it. I also don't know how heat resistant it is. Also I believe the recording time is very short.

My understanding of these current data recording devices is that they were designed with regard to speed control (trucks) and crashes investigations, not fires.

My understanding of these current data recording devices is that they were designed with regard to speed control (trucks) and crashes investigations, not fires.
I'm pretty sure what is recorded varies by manufacturer. That is, there is a certain set of required items, and some add additional items. I know Toyota does because it was discussed when the braking "problem" was a hot topic.

I think some of the logs are stored on an SD card or flash memory on the CID, but I would be rather surprised if any data is recoverable given the extent of the damage to the interior. Flash memory rather rapidly bleeds off charge when it gets hot (incidentally, this is what limits cycle life at high temperatures.)

That being said, some incredible things have happened before, like EEPROMs being recovered from Swissair 111. An EEPROM was mounted in each FADEC unit, next to the engine, and 2 out of 3 gave useful information:
Air Crash Investigations: The Crash of Swissair Flight 111 - Hans Griffioen - Google Books

Of course this is serious and I hope Tesla quickly figures out what happened. But to add to the chorus of "why don't ICE fires get more attention," check out these links. Obviously they made the press or I couldn't share links, but they certainly didn't get the scrutiny that any Tesla mishap gets: from 2014, "New 2015 GMC Yukon catches fire during test drive" New 2015 GMC Yukon catches fire during test drive; from last month, "Ford's New 2016 Everest Destroyed by Fire During Australian Test Drive" http://www.carscoops.com/2015/12/fords-new-2016-everest-destroyed-by.html; from 2012, "Watch a $376,000 Lamborghini Burn to the Ground on a Test Drive" Watch A $376,000 Lamborghini Burn To The Ground On A Test Drive. Amazing that new ICE cars burning up during test drives gets so little attention.
That reminds me,
A pricey Porsche went up in flames at a gas station northwest of Toronto, leaving one of the judges of Dragons' Den in search of a new ride.

The silver-coloured Porsche 918 Spyder caught on fire Sunday night at an Esso gas station in Caledon, Ont., near Hurontario Street and King Street.

Some people driving by captured video of the burning sports car.

Witnesses say the fire began after the gas overflowed and then ignited from the vehicle's exhaust heat.

<snip>

"It's gone," Wekerle told CBC News in an interview the day after the fire.

The burned-out car has been towed to Wekerle's nearby Caledon property. He had paid $900,000 US for the vehicle and taken possession of it on Sept. 3.

"It was one of the first two that came into Canada," Wekerle said.

Wekerle said he's thankful that no one was hurt.
Full article at:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...spyder-burns-at-caledon-gas-station-1.2781633

Some new info today: Google Oversetter

- The Accident Investigation Board has decided *not* to proceed with the investigation. (They lost interest because the fire started in the car and it was the only case in the world.)
- The police are satisfied no crime has been committed, and have released the car to the insurance company.
- The insurance company says they will look at the car together with Tesla probably within a week.

Some new info today: Google Oversetter

- The Accident Investigation Board has decided *not* to proceed with the investigation. (They lost interest because the fire started in the car and it was the only case in the world.)
- The police are satisfied no crime has been committed, and have released the car to the insurance company.
- The insurance company says they will look at the car together with Tesla probably within a week.

thanks a lot for this update! Very interesting. I thought the board would drag this out for a long time.

Good stuff in the last paragraph. A Norwegian owner was interviewed at the Brokelandsheia station. He charges there regularly. He said he's not scared. "Fire due to charging is something exceptional and something I've never heard of before. Every week millions of Tesla charges take place and this is something that "never" happens. The chances of a gasoline car burning are higher, so I'll keep charging without worrying".

:)

A member here on TMC perhaps? Or just someone with common sense anyway.