Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Model S caught fire while supercharging in Norway (link in Norwegian)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Norwegian owner was interviewed at the Brokelandsheia station. He charges there regularly. He said he's not scared. "Fire due to charging is something exceptional and something I've never heard of before. Every week millions of Tesla charges take place and this is something that "never" happens. The chances of a gasoline car burning are higher, so I'll keep charging without worrying".
What a remarkably rational analysis of the situation. Norwegians seem like very sensible people. [emoji3]
So the Accident Investigation Board has concluded that the fire started inside the car?

Why did this thread get moved to "Battery and Charging"? It took me a while to find it again, and it sounds like the battery/charging had nothing to do with the cause of the incident.

I don't believe there's anough data to reach that conclusion.

Just because the fire is thought to have started inside the car, it doesn't mean that the cables/conectors/junction-boxes inside the car carrying the current at the time did not ail/overheat and start the fire.

Of course, it doesn't mean they DID​, either, we just don't know yet.

But it would seem to imply the issue is not with the Supercharger Station.

What would remain unclear then is whether the issue within the car is isolated to that one car or pervasive throughout the fleet.

Given the statistics, it's very likely to have been an issue with that particular car--especially given that it was a recent purchase (although not new) and therefore likely went through some sort of servicing.

I'm still going with outside source for the fire. Like a hoverboard received as a Christmas gift.

IIRC one of our Norwegian friends indicated his/her read on the report was that it had been 'resolved' that it was something inside the car that caused the fire. Since it appears to be an isolated incident ( no hint of a chronic charging station issue ) they closed their investigation.

Why did this thread get moved to "Battery and Charging"? It took me a while to find it again, and it sounds like the battery/charging had nothing to do with the cause of the incident.
I think only Tesla can figure that out with a high degree of confidence, not the Norwegian investigators. Only Tesla can fully understand the car data they have.
If (please note the use of "if") the car's owner did in fact have something inside the car that caused the fire, unless that person shares that information with Tesla it may be very difficult to prove that was the cause.
If some part of the car malfunctioned and caused the fire then Tesla should be able to determine that with some confidence. If there was such a malfunction Tesla should be able to determine if it was charging-related or not.
We just have to wait for Tesla to make a statement...

I'm still going with outside source for the fire. Like a hoverboard received as a Christmas gift.

Even if there was some flammable cargo in the car, that cargo is unlikely to catch fire in a stationary car in Norway.

Wiki: Fire starts when a flammable or a combustible material, in combination with a sufficient quantity of an oxidizer such as oxygen gas or another oxygen-rich compound is exposed to a source of heat or ambient temperature above the flash point for the fuel/oxidizer mix...

Graphically, this is represented by a fire triangle model:

Fire Triangle.JPG

All three components of a fire triangle must be present for a fire to start.

In a case of a flammable cargo in a stationary car in Norway winter, there was no heat present to start the fire of the cargo. That leads me to think that fire likely started elsewhere in the car, somewhere where all three elements were present.

Oxygen and flammable elements are abundant in the car, heat is the missing element in the triangle. Thus looking for the likely/possible heat source is likely to point out to the location where the fire started.

Unfortunately, it is my experience that when some humans interfere with the car, perhaps during service or similar, they may make small unintentional mistakes when assembling components back together. Some of these small freaky mistakes can lead to heat generation during charging in the car electrical circuitry.

This is all speculation based on scarce publicly known facts.

Even if there was some flammable cargo in the car, that cargo is unlikely to catch fire in a stationary car in Norway.

Hoverboards have been catching fire in many stationary locations. Poorly manufactured batteries can and do spontaneously catch fire at times, including those in cell phones and laptops.