Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Model S caught fire while supercharging in Norway (link in Norwegian)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After Tesla has access, I'm willing to bet they will release some preliminary results quicker than the official investigation. A couple months is long enough for everyone to forget already, but I think Tesla wants to at least have some preliminary information first out there. For example if the supercharger was not responsible for the fire, that is very relevant information to know, even if the actual cause isn't known yet.

I already forgot about it.

Most logging appear to be stored locally in the car, and retrieved by Tesla as needed... not sure if anything useful would be sent in this situation... probably not, but I could be wrong.
The supercharger sends real time information about how many cars are charging how much, so Tesla probably has useful information here. Critical error messages (probably airbag deployment, and a few other types of error message) also seem to be sent real time. Most people who have been in an accident almost immediately get a call from Tesla asking if they are okay.

Likely not, do you have any insight as to how much data is uploaded "real time" (or some form of "dying gasp" protocol)? it's quite possible that something useful was sent to Tesla before it was destroyed?

Tesla has a "Notify" function in the software that immediately reports all alerts to the mothership. So for instance a high-impedance condition on the main contactors would be reported. In Fact, Many things are reported that the owner is never aware of and the car shows no indication of.

Tesla has a "Notify" function in the software that immediately reports all alerts to the mothership. So for instance a high-impedance condition on the main contactors would be reported. In Fact, Many things are reported that the owner is never aware of and the car shows no indication of.
With the source of the fire near the rear, and the computers and communication near the front, hopefully some useful alert was sent before the sending bits burned up...

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla is telling the owner to NOT speak about this until the investigation is complete. Very similar to the lightning strike situation. As long as the investigation doesn't point to anything like aftermarket audio equipment (which could have run wires right next to the back of the chargeport) I imagine Tesla will be replacing the entire car, per Elon's "If it burns, we'll replace it" promise of last year or so.

Not sure Tesla can tell anyone to do anything in a situation like this. If the owner isn't saying anything, it's likely on the advice of his or her attorney - not Tesla.

On the flip side they could be better off saying nothing.

^^ This.

I think it's best for Tesla to stay quiet about this incident unless something came out of the investigation that impacts all Model S owners in terms of a recall or proactive safety campaign like the previous charge adapter replacements, seat belt check, etc. Short of that, I don't believe Tesla should say a word. Why dredge this up at a time when everyone has forgotten about it?

Tesla doesn't address every single Model S fire. I don't believe Tesla addressed the fire in Mexico due to a collision. It also did not address the garage fire in BC, nor the fire caused when a Model S was stolen from a service center and driven 100 MPH through LA before it crashed and split in half.

The supercharger sends real time information about how many cars are charging how much, so Tesla probably has useful information here. Critical error messages (probably airbag deployment, and a few other types of error message) also seem to be sent real time. Most people who have been in an accident almost immediately get a call from Tesla asking if they are okay.

Off Topic: I wish Tesla uses these information to update Super Charging Station status, and even show how much energy each car has been charged.

True. Highly doubt anyone would keep quiet at the request of Tesla, and I doubt even more that Tesla would make such a request because it would make it look like Tesla had something to hide.
Tesla has been known to make exactly that request in the past, and as the "fire warranty" isn't documented anywhere official and is basically just Tesla good-will based on Elon saying something once, it wouldn't be a good idea to piss off Tesla until they've delivered on it...

Interesting. My bench setup doesn't try not notify Tesla of the 50 errors on my bench even after connecting to the VPN. I don't doubt that they get notified of many things, but my experience has been that service needs to pull logs from the vehicle even to see errors I have on-dash. Even the instance where my car shutdown while driving last year they had to manually poll the car to see the error.

Tesla PR in Norway just commented the case to state broadcaster NRK:

- This is the first known fire on a supercharger site, says Tesla Norway commincations director, Even Sandvold Roland.
- We are conducting a full investigation to find out what has happened, and will share our findings as soon as possible. The investigations are still in progress, and the charging station will be closed until these are completed. We apologize for the inconvenience to our customers, says Roland.
The transport Accident Investigation Board Norway must also examine the matter.

Google Oversetter

^^ This.

I think it's best for Tesla to stay quiet about this incident unless something came out of the investigation that impacts all Model S owners in terms of a recall or proactive safety campaign like the previous charge adapter replacements, seat belt check, etc. Short of that, I don't believe Tesla should say a word. Why dredge this up at a time when everyone has forgotten about it?

Tesla doesn't address every single Model S fire. I don't believe Tesla addressed the fire in Mexico due to a collision. It also did not address the garage fire in BC, nor the fire caused when a Model S was stolen from a service center and driven 100 MPH through LA before it crashed and split in half.

In some previous Tesla car fires (poor driving, crashes, ruptured battery), the cause was obvious, there was no need to explain anything.

Fires that happen to a car whilst charging are likely to cause fear if root cause is not explained.

There are increasing incidents of hoverboards causing fire whilst charging.

Hoverboard plugged in for 10min causes fire that destroyed family home

Incidents like this may lead to a perception 'charging = fire danger', unless car charging fire is explained.